The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2013, 09:48 AM   #1
David Bachelder

Finally!

I ordered a Hornady LNL AP and all the goodies I'd need to get going. In the proces I sold my RCBS Turret to raise a little cash. I also reclaimed my RCBS RockChucker from my son, with his blessings. This was back in late October (10/25/12).

I ordered 6 shell plates, several LNL bushings and the cleaner Hornady recommends for assembly. Once everything arrives I will be reloading everything I was before the move. Everything I ordered was backordered and I was told it would be at least June or July before my order would ship, I decided to have everything shipped at once. I was prepared for the wait.

Midsouth sent me an email yesterday saying that everything was ready to go and my order will most likely ship this Friday.

I think that says a lot for Midsouth Shooters Supply and that just maybe the crunch is letting up just a little.

Now if only Powder Valley would just get some small pistol primers in

I have quite a few, but I expect Ill go through a lot of them once the LNL AP gets here.
Old April 10, 2013, 02:28 PM   #2
AFK

Great choice going with the LNL AP. I love mine. Once set up , it never deviates. I recommend the case feeder too if you didn't order it. Easily as good as the Dillon 650, for less money. And before people start flammin", yes, I have experience with both presses.
Old April 10, 2013, 03:34 PM   #3
LE-28

I have a LNL-AP also and it works very well for me. I put the case feeder on mine after the fact but I only load one caliber on it right now.

It's my dedicated 9mm machine. If I were going to load all the calibers you listed I don't think I would have a case feeder on mine.

It would be too much to set up for me each time I had to change calibers from pistol to rifle. For pistol calibers the case feeder run really good but .40S&W don't run through the drop tubes very well. The small tube is to small and the large tube is almost to large. Other than that my case feeder works great.

I use my case feeder and press to de-prime all my 9mm shells also. I take all the dies and powder measure out of it and use a universal de-priming die only, I can de-prime on it at around 1300-1400 cases/hour of 9mm.

I read posts where people that do a lot of caliber changes on these press, once dies are set, can do them in about 15 minutes.

I've never tried to run rifle powder through my hornady powder measure so that may be a challenge. I'm sure it depends on what rifle powder your using, just like Unique powder is in pistol calibers. I've given up using Unique for anything but with a dribbler and scale.