The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2013, 06:54 PM   #1
Lilswede1

How do you keep track of loading dates?

I load .223 for a friend who does not keep spent cases separated very well.
Anyone have a good method of marking the reloads so that when you get them back you know what they are and how old?
Old January 13, 2013, 06:58 PM   #2
1-DAB

Check case length and check for head separation and neck splitting. Reload until worn out.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:03 PM   #3
OEF-Vet

I color my primers with a set of permanent markers. I then fill my log in and put a dot of that color for each load batch. I have 16 colors and haven't run out yet as I usually shoot up a batch before I get out of the primary colors. Since I only mark the primers I can re use that color once I de prime the brass.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
Old January 13, 2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Hawg

I don't try to keep track. I also will not reload for anyone else.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Goatwhiskers

Amen, Hawg. Swede, there's too much liability associated with loading for someone else. Things do happen, some of them to old experienced loaders. Remember, when something happens, whether injury or death, my fault, your fault, nobody's fault, when the lawyer gets thru with you in court it WILL be your responsibility. Your choice. GW
Old January 13, 2013, 10:53 PM   #6
Tim R

Yep, when some one asks me to reload for them I offer my equipment and the time to show them how to do it.

I am very much into keeping track and use a reloading log. I mark the date along with the data on the bullet supplied stickers. If I need the box for more loaded ammo the fired cases go into a zip lock bag with a note about the brass.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:20 AM   #7
Rifleman1776

I write the dates and other info on labels I stick on the storage boxes. Simple. The empties go back in the same box. I also reload until a cartridge fails. After a couple fails from the same box I anneal the whole lot.
Old January 14, 2013, 04:10 PM   #8
BigJimP

I don't keep track of how many times a case has been reloaded....

The only system that might work ...is using different colors of permanent markers on the base...

But I sure wouldn't load for anyone else either...way too much liability / and I'm not confident my homeowner's liability insurance would defend me if something happened ( especially if I did it for money )..??? ....but I sure would feel bad if a buddy blew up a weapon, let alone if someone got hurt...so its not worth it, on a lot of levels !

I just tell friends, I'll help mentor them if they want to buy their own equipment ...help them with setup, etc...but if they want to reload, they need to invest in equipment and the time...
Old January 14, 2013, 04:22 PM   #9
jcwit

As others have said, I reload till I see signs of failure, split necks, loose primer pockets, etc.

As far as rteloading for someone else? NEVER!

Amazing how fast you'll loose a lifelong friend when he looses a hand.
Old January 14, 2013, 05:42 PM   #10
hooligan1

I develope and test loads, after I shoot a certain test load I inspect thecases and primers for excessive pressure, then I dump'em back into the spent case bucket.
If I run into cases that show any sign of too much pressure I set those aside as to inspect them after I resize those dudes. I don't mark anything, when the load comes around to what I think it should be then I get new or oncefired brass and load at least fifty, and put them up for season or for fun.
Also I don't load for anybody outside my house, although if I'm at the range and have extra I will share with my #1 son,(cause he never brings enough) but thats it.
Old January 14, 2013, 06:14 PM   #11
5R milspec

If it helps I keep little black books in each ammo box.The dollar store has them 3 in a pac for a dollar.

I write all info from loads to how many times the brass has been shot.Keep dates posted all so for the brain ( I cannot remember a thing )
Old January 14, 2013, 06:34 PM   #12
m&p45acp10+1

I inspect cases. If something does not seem right then I use a pair of pliers to bend the brass so that it is not able to be used again. I then put it into my recycle bucket.

Step one look for obvious signs of bad brass. Splits, separation rings, badly bloated cases, ect. ect.

Step 2 For bottle necked cases, and .30 Carbine. I paper clip test for seperation by using a bent paper clip inside. If a case has a cut in it the paper clip will catch. I crush those, and into the recycle bucket they go.

Step 3 Size. Then measure.

Step 4 Trim if needed.

Step 5 Prime. If the primers feel like they are seating too easy then I remove the primer, and scrap the case.