The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 10, 2010, 12:06 AM   #1
awpk03s

Beretta Help...!!

Was a very smitten new owner of a Beretta Cheetah 85FS pistol, but then ran into some hiccups. I sent the below message to Beretta's support center tonight, and am hopeful that someone here can offer some input and help - maybe this is an easy fix...? Thanks!

"I just purchased a New Beretta Cheetah 85FS Nickel pistol. I checked it in the store, worked the action and trigger several times and was very pleased. Came home with it, and continued this exercise of working the slide, the magazine, and the decock/safety lever to familiarize myself with their operation. Without dry-firing, I let the hammer down slowly during this time. However, I noticed that in a straight DA pull of the trigger, it will actuate and the hammer will fall, at the same time if the pistol is de-cocked and then followed by a DA pull of the trigger - the hammer will fall. But when the hammer is cocked back in SA mode, and the trigger is pulled, the trigger bar fails to catch and the trigger is pulled straight back with no resistance and no corresponding action from the
hammer - much like as if the magazine was removed and the disconnect safety was engaged. When cocked back in SA mode, the trigger bar dips down to a level that is not completely parallel with the slide (as it operates in DA mode, the bar stays flat and parallel), and it does not rise back up to flat/parallel position so it can catch and drop the hammer. Preliminarily it would seem the spring acting with the trigger bar is far too weak.

Please help me. This pistol has only been in my possession for hours, and initially I was extremely excited about it, but now I'm seriously wondering how I can trust the life of myself or my fiance on it if the trigger won't engage and drop the hammer when I really need it to.

I've attached several photos, the first showing the trigger bar in position for a DA shot. The second is the trigger bar in position for a SA shot. The last one is simply showing the action of the trigger pulled all the way rear, and the trigger bar position, and lack of hammer action."

Pics are below. When pulling the trigger you can hear a distinctive "click" or "slipping" sound. Help is appreciated!

Last edited by awpk03s; March 10, 2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old March 10, 2010, 08:45 AM   #2
Coltman 77

Sorry to read of your problem with the new Cheetah.

Have you considered returning it to the gunshop for an exchange or refund?

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old March 10, 2010, 09:39 AM   #3
wbw

I agree with Coltman. In the meantime until you hear back from Beretta, take it back to the shop and see what they can do for you.
Old March 10, 2010, 03:35 PM   #4
PointOneSeven

Maybe it needs to be reset? Does popping the slide back 1/4" (or even racking the slide completely) reset the trigger?

I had a keltec that needed that if it didn't go bang.
Old March 10, 2010, 05:37 PM   #5
E.J.White

Yes you should take it back to the shop I know my guy can almost always fix the problem before we have to get the factory involved.
Old March 10, 2010, 06:55 PM   #6
bumnote

awpk03s, I took my 84FS grips off to see if I could spot what was wrong...but it's slightly different under the grips due to differences in the mags.
I think I may see something to try. The trigger spring looks like it might not be seated correctly and isn't pushing the trigger bar up so it will allow the trigger to engage. On my 84 that lower part of the spring sits completely in a slot on the frame.

The trigger spring on my buddy's 92 slipped when he cleaned it and did the same thing and that's how I fixed it. But since the 84 and 85 are slightly different under the grips...it's just my best guess and I'm no expert. Hopefully one can offer an opinion.
Sorry to hear you have problems with your new gun.

Last edited by bumnote; March 10, 2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old March 10, 2010, 11:47 PM   #7
awpk03s

Thanks for all the replies... I bought the gun from Buds Gun Shop, and had it transferred only through my local FFL. I did look at the trigger bar spring, and it's got something to do with that part being weak perhaps, or with bar itself gets caught on the bottom spur of the hammer when it's cocked back in SA and the bar won't rise back up.

I did get a reply from Beretta today, they said there is definitely something wrong with the gun and to send it back to them. So, I'll get on the phone tomorrow and see what all that entails...
Old March 11, 2010, 10:18 AM   #8
Coltman 77

Beretta should take good care of you.

Good luck, please keep us posted on the Cheetah's progress.

Old December 13, 2012, 09:15 AM   #9
Atarian

Hi:

Dunno if there's a difference between yours and the 85BB in this respect, but the spring is backwards compared to mine.
Old December 13, 2012, 11:06 AM   #10
Billy Shears

2 year old thread. Presumably the problem has been resolved by now.
Old December 13, 2012, 04:43 PM   #11
Coltman 77

Let's hope so. LMAO.

It's Christmas -- resurrecting old threads should be reserved for Easter.