The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 20, 2009, 02:18 PM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Bandana the deer...

I have decided not to drag out any more deer.
It has to be a detriment to meat quality and it is a ton of work defeating the frictional effect of heavy critters on the ground.
I have decided to do it the way a NZ buddy totes out the hogs from their rugged terrain...

He also does this with the red stags so I know our little white tails will work this way...

Here is what I came up with to avoid being shot by fellow hunters...
http://www.armyuniverse.com/blaze-or...22-p-3529.html
I figure tieing one or 2 of these to the deer's head/antlers will significantly reduce the risks...
Brent
Old October 20, 2009, 02:26 PM   #2
FrontSight

Oh man, the thought of all the ticks that will transfer to me gives me the heebie jeevies...
Old October 20, 2009, 02:30 PM   #3
ZeSpectre

If you got caught doing that in VA you'd get a heck of a ticket from the game wardens. Also I don't think a couple of bandanna on the antlers is gonna save you.
Old October 20, 2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Doyle

I've seen the critters that are crawling on hogs skin down here (deer too). No way I'd want that on my back. That's why I bought one of those game carts.
Old October 20, 2009, 02:36 PM   #5
davlandrum

What would the ticket be for?

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 20, 2009, 02:39 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

1) Cooties wash right off... Many will crawl off as the body temp drops during dressing.

2) What would the violation be for toting out the deer versus dragging it on the ground?

3) I figure if the head is partially blocked from view by a blaze orange "do-rag" most won't even see it and those that do will have to see the orange... I guess I will add an extra to the deer's back as well for good measure...

Sand and flora is a bugger to rinse out of the cavity...
Brent
Old October 20, 2009, 02:51 PM   #7
ZeSpectre

Quote:
What would the ticket be for?
Well now you got me questioning my own statement so I went back and searched where I thought the regulation was. Apparently I was mis-remembering another regulation about carrying across boundaries and nothing to do with actually carrying the carcass. As long as "blaze orange" is visible for 360 degrees on the hunter there is no violation in VA.

In short, oops, I was wrong on that one. Sorry.
Old October 20, 2009, 04:02 PM   #8
simonkenton

Dragging isn't harmful to the meat.
I have dragged out at least a hundred deer.
Old October 20, 2009, 04:18 PM   #9
davlandrum

One of those throw away cheapo orange vests works great for this.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 20, 2009, 05:52 PM   #10
cornbush

my pack frame works good and the ticks dont seem to attack from the frame
Old October 20, 2009, 06:12 PM   #11
Edward429451

...now where did that hog go to?
Old October 20, 2009, 06:20 PM   #12
Dr. Strangelove

Don't you have a teenage son, Brent? Why are you the one doing the dragging?
Old October 20, 2009, 06:28 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If junior is with me, he will help out but he thinks it is too much to ask to do the things younger folks used to do for their elders...
Brent
Old October 20, 2009, 06:33 PM   #14
bcarver

dragging animals

I shoot mine in roads or fields or someplace I can drive a four wheeler.
It would have to be a huge buck for me to shoot otherwise and it is always easy getting someone to drag a huge buck.
I also learned not to shoot doves that will fall in thickets.
Old October 20, 2009, 07:05 PM   #15
shortwave

Hey hogs, I`d sure wrap alot more HO around my and the hogs butt if I were gonna do that. Someone sent me a pics. of an 1800lb. pig shot in Fla. No info, just pics. May take you and Jr. both to pack that one P.S. Do you know of any new gigantic hogs shot in Fla. lately? Pic. shows the hunter(a pharmaceutical guy I think) and the massive hog.
Old October 20, 2009, 10:01 PM   #16
zahnzieh

I think if i saw you coming out of the woods with a big ole hog on your back wearing a day-glo orange bandana i would pee myself laughing. Why not make him a little orange outfit!!
Old October 20, 2009, 10:20 PM   #17
snipecatcher

When my stepbrother and I were kids, 8-10 years old, we would go pig hunting with my uncle and his dogs, and we would pack the pigs out on our backs. I've never seen it done that way though. He would gut them first, so we walked out of the woods with a blood soaked shirt and blood caked in our hair. You've never taken a better shower.
Old October 20, 2009, 10:30 PM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The guy in the pic also guts every pig before toting it. But he is very good at it. He also often has creeks nearby to rinse them I guess.
But the terrain he is in is not conducive to dragging as you can see in the pic.
Brent
Old October 20, 2009, 11:15 PM   #19
RamSlammer

In rough terrain, I carry a tarp and some nylon rope. Find a couple of straight branches and with a little knife work, it fairly easy to make a good 'ol injun style travois.

Here's a few pointers . . . http://briarpatchoutdoors.educationf...d_travois.html
Old October 20, 2009, 11:27 PM   #20
jdscholer

Or ya could try the "two guys and a pole method". It looks pretty good on the old movies, but I guarantee you will only try it once; and not for very far. jd
Old October 20, 2009, 11:36 PM   #21
fastforty

Well now, that brings new meaning to the term "Piggy Back"
The piggy def needs to be dressed in a blaze safety vest though.

But, dragging=tenderizing
Old October 21, 2009, 12:31 AM   #22
roklok

Like this ? I carried this bear out on my shoulders, but it was crossways, not in line with my back. Safety is a major concern where there are other hunters, a guy was shot and killed years ago on the mountain I deer hunt on back in PA carrying out a deer on his back.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf scan0018.pdf (365.2 KB, 34 views)
Old October 21, 2009, 12:42 AM   #23
Uncle Buck

As I can not rely on having a youngster to help drag, my back will not allow me to carry, I have resorted to using a two wheeled carriage. Basically it is made out of two big bicycle tires held with an axle and a handle.
It is great going in also. It carries the lunch bucket, the thermos, and all the other essential gear need for a relaxing day of enjoying the world. But when I do use it to pull my deer out, I wrap the deer in one of those cheapo orange vests, like the other poster said.

Now if I could get the deer to pull me out on the carriage (he has four legs, I have two that sometimes work)....
Old October 21, 2009, 03:20 AM   #24
phil mcwilliam

I've hunted New Zealand for red deer & the main reason they carry out the carcass in this way is because of the remote steep terrain - no chance of getting a quad bike near to where you hunt, & you need both hands free to steady yourself. I was recently on a hunting trip with hunting guide Paul Convey. Paul was a professional deer culler in New Zealand in the 80's & told me he was packing out a deer in the same way, walking down a ridge-line ,when a shot rang out from the valley below. He claims that he felt the red stag carcass move on his back as he instinctively dived to the ground while yelling a few choice words. He found a bullet hole that had passed through the deer side on ,just under the spine. It still is not compulsory to wear blaze orange in New Zealand, but tying some around a deer carcass when carrying out using this method makes sense to me.
Old October 21, 2009, 04:24 AM   #25
troy_mclure

ive carried tons of deer out of the woods "fireman carry" accross both sholdurs. always gut it, and let it bleed out for a bit first tho.
i hang my orange vest accross the deer too.

and the blood stains in the shirt add cammo!
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."