The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old March 3, 2009, 10:33 PM   #26
FyredUp

I have fired nothing but Wolf ammunition in my WASR-10 since I bought it. It is of course 7.62x39mm. I have used both the Wolf black box and the Wolf Military Classic.

It is still the least expensive ammunition, functions great and is accurate enough for my needs. If I wanted a tack driver I wouldn't have bought an AK-47 clone. What I wanted was a rifle that would digest what ever I put in it, be reliable, and fun to shoot. I found it.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:40 PM   #27
KLRANGL

I always though the fact that Wolf ammo worked fine in AK/SKS rifles was common knowledge. This thread being about wolf ammo in AR15s
Old March 3, 2009, 10:45 PM   #28
Nnobby45

Have run a few mag's thru my Kahr M1 Carbine without any issues. Works fine, isn't particularly dirty, and is reasonably accurate.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:47 PM   #29
Singlesix1954

I don't know about the other stuff, but "they aint nutin wrong wit it" in 22lr match target!
Old March 3, 2009, 10:57 PM   #30
Average Joe

Try it in your AR first, I'll bet it will work just fine. Since ammo is getting hard to find, I think a lot of people are not as critical of Wolf anymore.
Old March 3, 2009, 11:05 PM   #31
Huey Long

Quote:
I just read on another thread that Wolf ammo does not fragment because that have a thicker metal jacket... that is not good. Can anyone refute or confirm this?
If it doesn't fragment, it's probably because the jacket is steel and not copper.
Old March 3, 2009, 11:06 PM   #32
FyredUp

The only reason i said it worked fine in my WASR-10 was a poster asked if not Wolf in his AK what then.
Old March 4, 2009, 12:29 AM   #33
KLRANGL

Quote:
The only reason i said it worked fine in my WASR-10 was a poster asked if not Wolf in his AK what then.
Yeah, thats who I was talking about...
Old March 4, 2009, 12:38 AM   #34
Tatsumi67

never had much of an issue with it in my mini-14
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.
Old March 4, 2009, 06:37 AM   #35
bogieb

My DPMS manual warns against using it, and says using it voids the warranty. From the manual:

Quote:
C) Lacquer Coated Ammunition or Steel-cased, lacquer coated ammunition

The problem with this ammunition is the lacquer coating on the case. As the barrel heats up, the lacquer turns to a soft, varnish substance and upon cool down, becomes very solid and difficult to remove. This effectively creates an undersized chamber and creates understandable problems. . . .

Please note that the use of re-loaded ammunition voids the factory
warranty as well as the use of the above-mentioned types of ammunition
Of course it all depends upon what your manufacturer states in its manual or on their website.
3 cats, 2 dogs, 1 bird and 1 husband
Old March 4, 2009, 10:05 AM   #36
MagicMan

I've run a lot of Wolf MC through my AR with no problems & it's pretty accurate.
Old March 4, 2009, 10:48 AM   #37
rezmedic54

Wolf Ammo

The old Wolf use to be coated with lacquer it hasn't been for a while it now has a polymer coating. I have used the new stuff for years in all my guns for practice and have never had an issue with it.
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

http:www.maricopashooting.com
Old March 4, 2009, 12:30 PM   #38
tokarev762

Might as well add my experience to this thread.

I built my AR back in '05. Mish mash parts on a DoubleStarr lower and I was able to pick up a new complete 16 inch DPMS upper complete with bolt for $350 at Knob Creek that same year. I also picked up 2,000 rounds of Wolf 55 gr. hollowpoint while I was at Knob Creek too..

All of that Wolf ammo was fired through my AR before I started buying any brass case loads or using my own reloads.

The thing is that all of that Wolf steel cased ammo fed through my M4gery without one hitch. Not one. That includes six 30 round magazines that I went through in a couple of minutes of bump firing one time. It was smoking hot then. Still didn't have any problems with it afterwards.

I have read several reviews of folks buying a couple thousand rounds of the Wolf steel case ammo to take with them to a weekend rifle training class and afterwards reporting not one problem with the ammunition.

Maybe the ones that had a problem with Wolf ammo had a defective part on their AR to begin with.
Old March 4, 2009, 01:44 PM   #39
onthejon55

I bought a 1,000 lot last spring and got through 500 before i sold the rest. The ammo is definately under powered. It is far less accurate than other types of ammo ive shot. It is horribly dirty and leaves a build up of gunk on the crown thats nearly impossible to remove. The red primer sealer leaves gunk all over the bolt face. I have tried and failed to remove the gas tube for cleaning(i have no doubt that the wolf 'glued' it in).
Old March 4, 2009, 02:04 PM   #40
rocket12

ever notice how wolf and junk both have four letters????
it is junk,you get what you pay for
Old March 4, 2009, 02:34 PM   #41
FyredUp

I disagree on the Wolf ammo being junk. It may not function properly in your over sensitive AR-15 clones but it works just fine in my WASR-10.

As long as I can continue to get it I am going to buy it. Simple economics makes it the right choice.
Old March 4, 2009, 03:33 PM   #42
thinkingman

I just got an email reply from Rock River technical support...
My question:
Will Wolf ammo void the warranty on your factory AR15's?

WOLF AMMO IS JUST NOT RECOMMENDED.

THANK YOU,
B.J.
ROCK RIVER ARMSSALES / TECH. SUPPORT
[email protected]
PH. 309-792-5780 / 866-980-7625
FAX 309-792-5781

I guess my idiot claim has some validity.
Old March 4, 2009, 03:44 PM   #43
Wildalaska

Well I guess your idiot claim only goes to the unfortunate wording used by the shop as reported by the OP, since we now know that another AR manufacturer doesnt reccommend Wolf.

WildperhapsthefolkswhoshouldbelookedataskancesarethosewhopushtheirwolfwoobieagendasAlaska ™
Old March 4, 2009, 03:44 PM   #44
Leif

Wolf Match .22lr is great stuff. Then again, it's made in Germany, not Russia, so you can make of that what you will. However, I've run thousands of rounds of it through my Anschutz 64MPR, and it seems to like it the best so far. Of course, there are brands I haven't tried yet ...
Old March 4, 2009, 04:22 PM   #45
cbennettx

The bad thing is you almost can't find anything else. If you look online, most of the major players are out of everything except Wolf. Sure you can find the expensive stuff, but who the hell wants to spend $19.95 for 20 rounds of Hornaday to kill paper targets?

AR's aren't the "tanks" AK's are, but they aren't going to be torn up with a cotton ball either. If it will feed Wolf, shoot it; just clean it afterwards. You should be cleaning it anyway.
Old March 4, 2009, 04:24 PM   #46
thinkingman

There really should be a thread of overstated claims by gunshop owners/employees.
You could write a book with these precious insights.
Old March 4, 2009, 04:25 PM   #47
Skans

I shoot wolf poly-coated ammo in my Carbon-15 all the time. In fact, that's all I've been shooting in it for about a year now. Cycles fine. Doesn't break anything. Cases don't "stick". Come on, people - I used to read people crying about the the Carbon-15 all the time. If that thing can shoot wolf ammo without any problems, I'm sure your aluminum AR's with chrome lined barrels will have no problem.

Maybe it's not match grade. That's ok - I don't participate in gun matches.
Old March 4, 2009, 04:30 PM   #48
Wildalaska

Quote:
There really should be a thread of overstated claims by gunshop owners/employees.
There really should be a thread of overstated claims by netexperts.

WilddoneAlaska ™
Old March 4, 2009, 05:24 PM   #49
precision_shooter

Wolf test

for those of you that shoot wolf all the time, do me a favor. Shout several hundred rounds in rapid succession until the barrell and chamber are really hot. Then load 1 round in the chamber, put the safety on and let it sit for a few hours. Then, load up a mag, and see if it will run through with no problems. The majority of the problems with the laquer is when a round is left in a hot chamber and the laquer has a chance to melt and stick to the chamber, changing tollerances, spacing and everything in between. This is where you get broken extractors/FTE's. I will stick with good old Brass Cased commercial and surplus.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old March 4, 2009, 05:31 PM   #50
Creature

Quote:
Curious...."overstated" how? Oh wait,...I'll bet you own a Bersa, right?
Closed Thread

Tags
5.56 , ammo , river , rock , wolf