The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 15, 2006, 07:37 PM   #1
stillborn

Thunder Ranch?

I am just wondering about Thunder Ranch. I know they do firearm training and all that good stuff. I am just curious about the guns they sell sometimes. The one that peaked my interest was the Thunder Ranch S&W mod 21 .44 Spl. I believe that was the one... Would yall consider that to be an ideal fighting "combat" revolver?

thanks,

still
Old December 15, 2006, 07:46 PM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

Ideal, no. If properly executed, as many were not (they were not sold by Thunder Ranch, incidentally), they can be very viable as defensive revolvers.
S&W viewed the gun differently from the way Clint Smith saw it, S&W regarded it as primarily a TR "commemorative" & did not treat it as seriously as they should have.
The caliber choice (.44 Special fans ignore this ) was not the most practical, and there were several quality control problems.
Denis
Old December 16, 2006, 02:18 AM   #3
SnWnMe

TR21 DA group 15 yds.

Any revolver can be a fighting revolver right?
All you gotta do is bring it to a fight.
Old December 16, 2006, 09:30 AM   #4
Rimrod

Ideal? No. Worhty of consideration? No.
Old December 16, 2006, 10:57 AM   #5
stillborn

Ok... I wasn't to sure. I thought that was Thunder Ranch was all about the combat/ defenseive scenrio. They look like pretty sweet guns though. Ok, what revolver would be ideal and worthy of consideration?

thanks,

still
Old December 16, 2006, 11:03 AM   #6
18DAI

The S&W pre lock M-66 with a 3" barrel is my idea of the ideal combat revolver. Good sight radius, full length ejector, light for carry, and points great. Stainless for lower maintenance in heat/humidity. Regards 18DAI.
Old December 16, 2006, 02:59 PM   #7
SnWnMe

Truth be told, "ideal" means it doesn't exist but a big bore N frame is a good start.
Old December 16, 2006, 03:01 PM   #8
RevolverLover

Quote:
Ok, what revolver would be ideal and worthy of consideration?

What are you planning to do this revolver for? Is it going to be for CCW? HD?
Old December 16, 2006, 03:14 PM   #9
stillborn

No, I was reading an article about how that Thunder Ranch guy thought the that .44 would make a good fighting gun. So I was just wondering why. My next gun will most likely be a 4 inch GP100... unless I come across a service six at a good price, either way, my girl made me promise that I couldn't get a new gun for another 6 months..... blah. So Im just reading about guns now.

still
Old December 16, 2006, 05:30 PM   #10
RevolverLover

Quote:
my girl made me promise that I couldn't get a new gun for another 6 months..... blah. So Im just reading about guns now.
So get a used one instead of new.
Old December 17, 2006, 02:41 AM   #11
DPris
Member Emeritus

Of the two guns you mention, your chances of getting a better quality revolver in a handier size that will last longer chambered in a much more prevalent caliber (or two, if you want to shoot .38s in it) are much better with the Ruger GP.
That's ONLY regarding those two mentioned, and taking into consideration the relatively recent sporadic quality control problems at the eastern Ruger plant. And, yes, there are individual exceptions with both companies.
I've worked with three recent Ruger GPs & found no problems, bought two of them. On the other hand, I returned two of the S&W TR 21s unfired, they were so bad. Without wandering too far into "You Should Get Gun C, D, E, F or G Even Though You Only Asked About Guns A & B", I'll say the subsequent TR Model 22s in .45 ACP are better done (with the exception of the early sights shooting way low) and in a more practical caliber. I mention that to avoid giving the impression I'm dumping on S&W unduly or favoring Ruger unduly.
Denis
Old December 17, 2006, 03:37 AM   #12
vanilla_gorilla

What sort of problems did experience with the Model 21s that caused you to return them?
Old December 17, 2006, 04:46 AM   #13
glockopop

My girlfriend's dad has a Thunder Ranch .45. He shot a cylinder. I shot a cylinder. Then it locked up. He sent it back to S&W, and they fixed it, said it had the wrong hand installed. If QC is that bad on a limited run high end gun, (his dealer cost was approaching $600) what are they doing with their low end guns? Consequently, the Smith I've got on layaway now is at least 30 years old.
Old December 17, 2006, 03:22 PM   #14
DPris
Member Emeritus

VG,
Both barrels were over-tightened, both front blades were canted to the left. One barrel's crown was so bad a range rod initially wouldn't pass into it, that barrel also had a tight spot. Both forcing cones failed a No-Go gauge. One cylinder had to be forced shut.
Sight regulation was a frequent problem on others, including one of the guys originally involved with bringing the gun about.
The 22s seem to have gotten far fewer QC complaints.
Denis