The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2000, 05:03 PM   #1
rezman

Hello all,
Many thanks for the advice in reponse to my earlier posts. This seems to be a board visited by helpful folks. I would like to start loading for my M1A rifle. I'll be using military brass with crimp removed, and would like to load both 150gr ball and 168 match bullets. Does anyone have advice as to a good powder choice and load weight? I'm seeking advice as I understand that auto rifles can be finicky as to gas volumes produced that cycle the action. Any suggestions?
Old September 1, 2000, 05:51 PM   #2
beemerb

I would start with mil spec loads;
150 gr 4895,41.5 gr
168 gr 4895,42gr
This is from cartridges of the world.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.
Old September 1, 2000, 06:28 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

rezman--
You do well to ask this particular question about loading for the Garand rifle. When they first became available for civilian shooters, there were a lot of loads that caused trouble, because the "old fashioned" long op rod/piston setup needed loads with a particular power curve. There were a number of rifles wrecked or in need of rebuilds when used with powders that gave proper velocities but produced the wrong "timing" for the M1. A couple of the Speer Reloading Manuals have had good articles on such.

Be aware, also, that some military autoloading rifles are helped by the use of "SB," or Small Base sizing dies, to ease chambering and extraction. I hear that this is largely a matter of the individual rifle's operation. If you already have the dies, try what you have on hand. Otherwise, you might look for the small base dies.

I must plead personal ignorance of this particular area of loading, and am away from home and all my references. All my experience with Garands has been with militay ammo. I have loaded a lot of .30-06 ammo, but almost all of it is for bolt rifles. The loads quoted by beemerb sound good, and possibly a little on the light end. There are a lot of highly knowledgeable match shooters here, though, and I'm sure you'll have a lot of input.

Best of luck--
Johnny

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---
Old September 1, 2000, 09:25 PM   #4
HankL

rezman, The powder that you select for your M1A/M14 or M1 U.S.Rifle Cal .30 "Garand" is very important. While some powders will work very well in a bolt gun they may be too fast or slow in a gas gun. For the .308 I would suggest trying IMR 4064, W 748,IMR 4895,
IMR 3031, H 335. Hogdon even offers loading data on powders other than their own for both of these fine firearms!
Be Wary!
Old September 1, 2000, 09:28 PM   #5
beemerb

The loads I gave are the loads the military uses as quoted by cartridges of the world.They give a fine starting point.I have used stock mil loads when handloading for my FN's with good results.
give them a try and vary as you see fit.The big thing is I know these will work well in your M1A as these where designed for it.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.
Old September 1, 2000, 10:00 PM   #6
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Well, guys. my face is properly red. I have been meaning to get the eye doctor to check me out . . .

I got a very gentle e-mail from one of our number that pointed out the fact that I wasn't reading near closely enough - - -

Uh, he was talking about loading for a M1A "semi auto M14" not a M1 Garand.
You will find some slow pokes here and you will find some others who will jump right in with you. Best of luck.
Regards

No WONDER beemerb's loads seemed a tad light for the '06-- They weren't for the '06 at all!

I was pretty satisfied with my reply earlier. I think I still would be, if the question had been just a touch different.

Excuse me now--Think I'll go unlock the safe, take out a couple of rifles, and repeat for a while,
"THIS is an M1, and THIS is an M1-A."

Sorry for my very obvious error, and thanks to Hank, for the circumspect manner in which he pointed it out.

Johnny

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---
Old September 1, 2000, 10:01 PM   #7
HankL

Bob, You give very good advise for loads for a M1A/M14
Old September 1, 2000, 10:07 PM   #8
HankL

No problems there Boss! We all have to look out for each other! Plenty of chances to make a mistake in cartridge id etc. A Gas Gun Is A Different Critter and Each One Is Different Unto Itself almost
Old September 2, 2000, 05:40 AM   #9
Long Path

Har! Snarf! And all for the want of an "A".

L.P.
Old September 2, 2000, 11:09 AM   #10
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Well Johnny look at it this way anyone with a Garand and needing the oinformation now has it . You must be like me.......have to get the glasses out of the shirt pocket every time you try to read something .

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old September 2, 2000, 10:10 PM   #11
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. While not a "ball" load, I have had good luck in my FAL with the Sierra 150 gr MatchKing loaded over 45.0 gr W748 and ignited with a Remington 9 1/2M primer. Cases were new IMI and LOA ~ 2.76". Best.