The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 4, 2006, 01:37 AM   #1
g_gunter

Problem with Lee Factory Crimp Die

Man...I'm mad as **** because I've just wasted 23 rounds of premium handloads (cast perf bullets and stuff) for my .45 Colt because my Lee Factory Crimp Die is seating the bullets an additional .020 of an inch deeper when I use a heavy crimp (one full turn of adjustment knob). It'll seat the bullet an additional .005" when only turned 1/2 turn (still unacceptable). Its not supposed to push the bullet in at all when using the LFCD. The rounds are supposed to be finished out at 1.680" OAL (which is what it is when coming out of the seating die) but when I finish with the LFCD it is reduced to 1.660" OAL.

I don't know what is going wrong here but I've cleaned out the die just to make sure there were no foreign objects inside.

I've loaded over 1200 rounds with my Lee dies and I've checked and rechecked my setup procedures (I've even watched the Lee video for a sanity check). Can anyone tell me, assuming I'm doing everything right, what could cause this to happen? I'm really bummed out because I was getting ready to test my new Clements .45 Bisley and dangit!!! I can't even use my own handloads until I get this sorted out.

I'm all ears?

g_gunter
Old July 4, 2006, 07:27 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

actual

First, relax.
Then get yer wallet.

Now go buy a Redding Profile Crimp die for 45 Colt; adjust per instructions (remembering that, as a handloader, you may also experiment).

It WILL increase accuracy and decrease deviations.
Old July 4, 2006, 08:17 AM   #3
pumpkinheaver

In my experiance you results are fairly normal when applying a HEAVY crimp with a lee FCD.
Old July 4, 2006, 09:01 AM   #4
g_gunter

I think I know what's going on...

I was talking with some guys over at Handloads.com and they made a good point concerning the fact that the Cast Performance bullet crimping groove is angled such that the crimping action could easily pull the bullet in a bit during a heavy crimp. I'd never thought of that. Anyway, .020" (from 1.680" to 1.660" OAL) difference is probably not going to make that much difference since I'm not shooting max loads. I'm working my way up from the lower loads on the scale to test in my gun. So, I'll just keep a close eye on things at the lower loadings and watch that chrony closely to see if I'm in the ballpark.

Thanks guys.

g_gunter
Old July 4, 2006, 11:46 AM   #5
Rodger Peterson

I have reloaded alot of 45 Colt using 1/2 turn on the Lee crmp die. I use Hornady jacketed 250 grain bullets at 1000 fps. I have loaded to 1100 fps with a 1/2 turn and never had a bullet back out. I use 1/2 turn with my 357 also. You may want to back your seating die out to compensate for the .005" and then your crimp die will get you where you want to be. I think 1 turn on the crimp die will also take a toll on your brass.
Old July 5, 2006, 02:33 AM   #6
silicon wolverine

+1 for rodger. I found the same thing when laoding for .38 SPL

SW
Old July 6, 2006, 04:11 PM   #7
amamnn

heavy crimp?

Ditto the crimp pressure. I've been reloading pistol and rifle brass for over 40 years and have never seen any real benefit in a heavy crimp. The profile type (LFC) crimper will get you what you need on a cannelured bullet easily, if only lightly done.
Old July 7, 2006, 05:59 AM   #8
ricehombre

I've used the LFC die on several thousand rounds of 45 colt. Tried lite, medium, and hard crimps. 1/2 to 5/8 turn of the die always gave the best crimp and best accuracy on a lead bullets with a cannalure. Also had good luck with a 3/8 turn roll crimp on the standard 200gr LSWC which is normally used in the acp. You may find that if you seat the bullet a hair deeper, you wouldn't have to crimp as hard to properly crimp the case under the top lip of the cannalure.
Old July 7, 2006, 10:48 AM   #9
mjrodney

At one time, I questioned the need for more than a half turn on the LEE Factory Crimp die.

Then came a time when I needed to pop one open using an inertia bullet puller, the hammer type.

It became readily obvious to me then that a half turn is plenty crimp enough.

Now, in an effort to reuse my brass as much as possible, I have now backed off to ~3/8" of a turn and no problems to date (rolled crimp, .38spl & .357mag, 47oz wheelgun) (taper crimp, .45ACP, 48oz wheelgun and Ruger 345 semi-auto).