The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2015, 08:38 AM   #1
rebs

loaded round checker ?

I load 45 acp and am looking for one of those gauges that you drop the loaded round in to see if it will chamber correctly. What is it called ?
Old January 19, 2015, 08:44 AM   #2
JefferS

A Max Cartridge Gage?

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/594...ge-gage-45-acp

I've got either this one or the Wilson one for 9mm, but pretty sure I got the Lyman. I have a Wilson for my .308.
Old January 19, 2015, 08:49 AM   #3
jimbob86

For the most accurate one for your gun, take the gun apart. Use your own barrel for the "plunk test" .....
Old January 19, 2015, 08:53 AM   #4
gman3

^^^
Old January 19, 2015, 09:47 AM   #5
Shootest

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/744...s-and-w-45-acp
Old January 19, 2015, 09:55 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Let the barrel be your gauge because that will compensate for chamber tolerances in your gun.

Below is a 1911 barrel being used as a gauge, but others are similar. The reason for this is some chambers are a bit long, allowing the problem in the first picture. That can also happen because the brass is over-used. 45 Auto brass has the property that it tends to shorten rather than grow during firing and sizing. I once tracked a lot of brass through 50 cycles of light target loads (by which time much was lost and case mouths were splitting with some regularity), and those cases were all about 0.025" shorter than when they started, or about half a thousandth shorter per load cycle. That can also cause the first image effect.

The second image is normal and should be what new factory ammo does for you. For jacketed bullets it works fine. A cartridge seated to fit this way will, when dropped in, make a light "plunk" sound as the case mouth stops suddenly against its seat in the chamber. That's where the plunk test gets its name. If it doesn't plunk, then something is rubbing against the cartridge on the way in and you have to find what that wide spot is and deal with it.

The third image is what it looks like to headspace on the bullet. That is, the cartridge is stopped when the bullet meets the rifling in the barrel, which happens before the case mouth reaches its seat in the chamber. This produces best accuracy with lead bullets and also reduces lead fouling. It does not seem to improve jacketed bullet performance in my guns, but YMMV. One difference with this loading method is the edge of the lead bullet contacting the throat will cushion the cartridge when you drop it in, so it won't make a clear "plunk". You just have to set a round in and feel that it moves freely until the bullet finds the throat. That's how you set your seating die up.

Depending on the length of your chamber, headspacing on the bullet may not work with some round nose bullets because they then stick out too far to fit in the magazine. But for SWC shapes, it works well.

The last image is what happens when the bullets are not seated deeply enough for cycling reliability.

NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 19, 2015, 12:30 PM   #7
Nick_C_S

Quote:
. . .one of those gauges that you drop the loaded round in to see if it will chamber correctly. What is it called ?
The barrel of your gun.

Not to be snide; but seriously, I've never considered using anything else. What can be better than the actual chamber for which you are loading your rounds?
Old January 19, 2015, 02:18 PM   #8
rebs

Jeffers yes this is what I was looking for thank you

as far as using the barrel out of your gun, what if in my case I have more than one 45 acp pistol ? Can I just use one barrel for all or would I have to use the barrel out of each gun and keep those rounds separate ? It would be a pain in the neck to have to keep track of which reload are for which gun ?
Old January 19, 2015, 02:46 PM   #9
surveyor

Use the one with the tightest or shortest chamber dimension, for the bullet you are using, if it will chamber in that, it will chamber in all the rest....reloading is all about consistiency.

The oal will change depending on the shape/style of the bullet. A 200 gr swc won't be the same oal as a 200 gr rnfp as a example.

But, don't be suprised if it ends up like example 3 in the chart...

Last edited by surveyor; January 19, 2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old January 19, 2015, 02:59 PM   #10
Jim Watson

I use the gauge, preferably Wilson, although Dillon and Lyman are ok.
First, because I have more than one gun per caliber.
Second, because I don't want to be bothered to take the gun apart to get the barrel to use for a gauge.
Old January 19, 2015, 08:34 PM   #11
Wreck-n-Crew

I have never used a gauge for pistol and I never will as long as I can get the barrel out.
Old January 19, 2015, 09:26 PM   #12
hartcreek

Get the barrel out......I just use the latch to hold the weapon open and drop the round in, check for fit and shake it out. The plunk test this way takes only a few seconds.
Old January 20, 2015, 08:28 AM   #13
Urban_Redneck

The best one if you load/shoot a lot.

http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/100...cg45-100-a.htm

http://youtu.be/F3i6vq2084U
Old January 20, 2015, 01:34 PM   #14
BigJimP

I use "case gagues" for every caliber I load.../ to check every finished round as I box them up ..../ then I know the round will run in the tightest chambered barrel I have in that caliber.

it catches a burr on case that you might have missed on inspection / or a small crack that might open up as you press the bullet into the case / or any other irregularity...
Old January 20, 2015, 03:56 PM   #15
bangerjim

Use YOUR barrel. I don't even take mine apart, Just cock the slide back and see if the cart plops. Simlpe. Easy. fast.

Save your $$ for other stuff you need!

banger
Old January 21, 2015, 10:22 AM   #16
F. Guffey

I have extra barrels, then there is that other case check, weight. I know the weight of the components, case, bullet. powder and primer.

As I have said before, a reloader at the range had a S&W Model 66 locked up to the point he could not pull the trigger, rotate the cylinder and he could not pull the hammer back. He had cases that were loaded with no powder, His Model 66 was locked up because he had a bullet stuck between the cylinder and forcing cone.

We fixed it, after 'fixing' his Model 66 he thought he was going to continue shooting. We fixed that to. We did not know if one of his cases had no powder and the next had twice as much as recommended. He got mad and left after we offered to help him with his new Dillon RL 550 B. We offered to loan him scales, we offered him all the ammo he could shoot.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; January 21, 2015 at 10:51 AM. Reason: change 500 to RL 550 B
Old January 22, 2015, 08:37 AM   #17
rebs

I have extra barrels, then there is that other case check, weight. I know the weight of the components, case, bullet. powder and primer.

As I have said before, a reloader at the range had a S&W Model 66 locked up to the point he could not pull the trigger, rotate the cylinder and he could not pull the hammer back. He had cases that were loaded with no powder, His Model 66 was locked up because he had a bullet stuck between the cylinder and forcing cone.

We fixed it, after 'fixing' his Model 66 he thought he was going to continue shooting. We fixed that to. We did not know if one of his cases had no powder and the next had twice as much as recommended. He got mad and left after we offered to help him with his new Dillon RL 550 B. We offered to loan him scales, we offered him all the ammo he could shoot.

you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink
lets hope he doesn't learn the hard way by blowing up a gun and getting hurt or hurting someone else
Old January 22, 2015, 03:01 PM   #18
CenterFireBrass.com

I use the EGW Case Gauge. Not worth the money to spend for the 50 rounder unless you want to use it to count brass, I just buy the 7 rounder ones they sell. Very nice product for reloading and case checking.