The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 18, 2015, 12:53 PM   #1
Tony C

Question on Reloading 9mm for Local Competition

First, let me say that this may be the wrong forum for this question, and if it is, feel free to lock or delete it. I put this into the Competition forum without a response so am hoping someone here will have suggestions:

I am picking up a 9mm XD(M) for competing in USPSA and IDPA matches. Right now I reload .45 ACP using 230 grain LRN bullets for these matches.

Looking at Oregon Trial Bullets, they cast 9mm in 124 gr. RN, 145 gr. RN, and 147 gr. FN.

If you use lead 9mm bullets, which do you use?

Thanks,
Tony
Old January 18, 2015, 02:11 PM   #2
9MMand223only

I see these 2 brands alot in comps, they both shoot accuratly.

https://precisiondelta.com/index.php...llet/9mm.html/

http://montanagoldbullet.com/index.p.../result/?q=9mm
Old January 18, 2015, 03:01 PM   #3
Kosh75287

These are the loads I'VE piddled with.

I use 4.0-4.4/Unique/147 L. I usually get the velocity I want (890 - 900 f/s) at 4.2 or 4.3gr. C.O.L ~ 1.145" I would expect to use similar charges for 145 grain slugs, unless they're jacketed. To get the velocity I want with jacketed vs. cast, I usually only have to increase charge weight by 0.1grain.
For 125s, (cast) I use 5.4-5.8/Unique, and stop when I get velocity consistently over 1050 f/s (Usually, 5.5 - 5.7 gr.). C.O.L ~ 1.155"
I don't use cast 115s, but I use Unique for that weight jacketed projectiles, and aim for 1100 f/s (for MY pistol, 5.9 or 6.0 grains). C.O.L ~ 1.15"
I TRY to obtain velocities exceeding those needed for the 125 grains x 1000 f/s power floor by 2-5 %, in case the chronograph I use doesn't agree with the one used by the rangemaster(s).
If your pistol barrel is over 4" long, you may get better velocities vs. pressure with Alliant Herco or AA#5. Charge weights with Herco are usually no more than 10% greater (and often less) than those for Unique.

Last thing, AA#5 meters much more nicely than Unique or Herco, but I have access to a large quantity of the Alliant powders.

OKAY, now that I've had enough coffee to read and understand, I haven't noticed much difference between projectiles of similar weights but different manufacturers, except occasionally I increase or drop the charge weight by 0.1 grains, to obtain the goal velocity. ALL the projectiles I've tried group better than I can shoot, even from a bench. Until my shooting skills take a huge leap forward, my choice of projectiles is largely a cost-driven decision. Sorry.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!

Last edited by Kosh75287; January 18, 2015 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Missed the point.
Old January 18, 2015, 03:25 PM   #4
mxsailor803

I shot USPSA in Fl for a couple of years and loved it. Have you ever looked at Xtreme Bullets? For the price of 500 lead, I was able to order 500 of there plated bullets. Now I can't give you any specific data since I shot .45acp with a 1911.

Just found the link: http://www.xtremebullets.com/9mm-s/9666.htm

Last edited by mxsailor803; January 18, 2015 at 03:28 PM. Reason: link attachment
Old January 18, 2015, 07:09 PM   #5
Misssissippi Dave

I use AA5 powder (6.1 grains) with a 124 grain Montana Gold FMJ bullet. One thing to remember about shooting local USPSA matches. Most of the time they are not going to run your ammo through a chronograph for local level matches. As the level of the matches increases you will be required to prove your ammo meets the minimum power factor. You will need to ensure your ammo meets the minimum power factor if you are going to compete at higher levels. As long as it does meet the minimum power factor in your pistol you are good to go. I only shoot local matches but I still like to load my ammo to meet the requirements of higher level matches.
Old January 19, 2015, 07:47 AM   #6
cavelamb

Second X-Treme.

I'm getting pretty great results using the 124g FP with 5 grains CFE Pistol powder and 1.150 coal.

While it's probably not really an issue, the Montana coated bullets left
color in the rifling of my pistol.

NRA Life Member
Old January 19, 2015, 08:25 AM   #7
Urban_Redneck

I'm shooting 3.9gr TiteGroup with 125 gr coated lead (Blue Bullets). Some folks feel 147gr shoot "softer" I'm not sure I can tell the difference. Either bullet at 130 power factor will take steel down.