The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 30, 2014, 07:36 AM   #1
Ibmikey

300 blackout supersonic

300 blackout, supersonic is the way I shoot my AR in blackout however the only powders listed for reloading with a 125 gr bullet are: H110, W 296 and Lil'gun. All three of those powders are seemingly impossible to find in this area so anyone using other powders? Only interested in supersonic loading with 110, 125, and 150 gr bullets please.
Old June 30, 2014, 11:28 AM   #2
rg1

IMR 4227 is a possibility. Some have tested AA#9 with light bullets Winchester 296 which is identical to H110 seems to be more likely to find in my area. Local dealer says availability of H110 should be improved in July. Don't know where he gets his info but their store seems to get reloading supplies when other shops can't? I'd wait for the right powder before loading a bunch with a powder not ideal for the Blackout.
Old June 30, 2014, 01:36 PM   #3
Sharkbite

I use 4227 for all my super loads 125-150gn. Works fine
Old June 30, 2014, 01:54 PM   #4
Ibmikey

Thanks guys, I too have used 4227 with success but forgot to list it, w 296, h110 and lil'gun just seem to be consistently absent in the Great North West. There must be other powders that have been tested but darned if I can find any data.
Old June 30, 2014, 03:50 PM   #5
Sharkbite

Check out 300blktalk.com.

Lots of expert advice on that cartridge there. You'll find me there under the same screen name. Ive learned more there then any other place about this caliber
Old July 1, 2014, 03:13 PM   #6
jbcricket

i hear 2400 works well but i havent tried it myself yet.
Old July 1, 2014, 10:54 PM   #7
USCS

I've been using MP300 with good results. 300BLK TALK has a lot of good info in the reloading section.
Old July 2, 2014, 07:04 AM   #8
mavracer

I tried 5744 in mine, doesn't meter as well as 296 but it shot OK.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old July 2, 2014, 10:17 AM   #9
tateconcepts

This is correct. I am a type 06 FFL and clearly too many people don't know much other than what Hodgdon feeds them.

H110 works well (It is identical to W296) except you pay for the Hodgdon name. IMR is also one of their brands and IMR4227 works really well. I recommend this over all their other powders as it has more variety and typically meters better along with improved accuracy and velocity in most loads. Only one person here was informed enough to know that Hodgdon ISN'T THE ONLY COMPANY TO MAKE POWEDERS.

Since too many people are brainwashed into this idea by the manufacturers. You may use the following powders also

RAMSHOT ENFORCER
ACCURATE 4100
ACCURATE 5744 (This may also be used for subsonic as well)
ACCURATE 1680 (This may also be used for subsonic as well)

I personally prefer to stay away from the (I'm a hobby reloader brands) as they are always out of stock on the 8# kegs of them or the 4# that Cabela's sells. It is rumored that Cabela's has plenty of IMR4227 in stock (I just bought more in a 4# keg - you need to be a 06 FFL or not everyone will sell certain items to you) and it is my recommended load other than the 4100 above for supersonic loads. It meters well (of course almost everything meters well in my equipment but then again, I have the best equipment) and is not too selective in loads. H110/W296 are VERY tempermental to what loads you have if you are one that loads to the maximum. If you do not, you won't get near what people like myself and those I partner with like Liberty, PNW Arms and Remington. These guys don't mess around with volume dispensing (rarely do I except on target ammo). Most of our loads are match, therefore they are VERY consistent and are usually within 25fps or less of each other.

While it's perfectly fine to use Hodgdon powders, so does everyone else and people forget that most people are NOT loading for 300BLK. They are loading for what the powder was originally intended for: magnum pistol loads. My Dad couldn't find a single pound of powder for 357/41 Mag until I gave him a pound of W296. My recommendation, leave those for the revolver folks as its too narrow in pressures to work with for most (unless you are slow enough to hand load them)(I shoot selective fire and full auto at times inside my range so I don't really care to hand load anything). I tried using H110 before it became scarce (now I use it only for 357 Mag) and I can assure you it has very little room for margin and does not beat the velocity offered by most of the other powders.

Hope this helps you find a more constant source of powder. If you need load data, speak with the powder manufacturer and the bullet manufacturer - then compare the two using the starting load and work your way up to see where the max load is. It's what I do all the time with new cartridges and I don't need load data to figure out what is needed and what is not. Rolling your own isn't THAT cost effective nowadays. PNW Arms makes a 147gr non bi-metal cartridge that does just over 2000fps and is only $15 or so. Those who are rolling there own are really not going to get much value out of this unless you are buying these in 10,000 or more of each component and buying powder by the 8# kegs. I do this for a living, I'm not trying to steer you away from a hobby if that's what you enjoy but 'rolling your own' for savings is really not needed any longer. There are too many of us producing this cartridge now and for those chopping down brass, what a PITA. You must be really a glutton for punishment because it takes far too long to do that then just order 10,000 rounds of primed brass (or even unprimed brass). I will state for the record however that those who used Lake City (LCAAP) brass do have one advantage - the cartridges will hold up to more pressure that their manufactured counterparts due to wall and web thickness. This is because that cartridge was developed for 5.56mm at almost Mach 3 not 7.62mm at Mach 1-2

Best Regards,
BT
Old July 2, 2014, 07:29 PM   #10
Mr.RevolverGuy

My 300 Blackout reloading journey

Plenty of info like below 3 pages worth. Chrono data accuracy test

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3817

Sun Devil Lower CMMG Barrel 300BlackOut 16′ 1/7 Twist Pistol Reload LilGun- 18gr- Hornady #9 2.100 125gr Hornady SST Hi 2244 2215 76 36 .775 – 50 Yards 55 Degrees 10-15MPH Gust Y
Low 2168
Old July 3, 2014, 08:10 PM   #11
oldpapps

Mike,

I have been using 2400 powder with 130 grain coated cast lead bullets. 16 inch barrel with carbine gas system. I started with 15.0 grains and worked from there. As always, not responsible, for discussion purposes only.... I still get 1980 FPS with it. But those are slick polyester bullets too.

As you are looking for something for 125 grainers. I have also used some very old Olin 630 but you don't stand much chance finding any of that.

Good luck in your search.

OSOK
Old July 4, 2014, 03:55 PM   #12
Ibmikey

Thanks to all, ....Oldpapps...I was wondering about 2400 but I do not wish to shoot cast bullets, guess I will continue to search for H110, W296 etc.