The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2013, 10:23 AM   #26
Unclenick
Staff

It's a trade-off. If you shoot light loads (4.2 grains of Bullseye behind a 185 grain JSWC in .45 Auto is a common equivalent to commercial match loads), you find slower powders like HS-6 burn dirtier because the peak pressure is too low for them to burn well. You also spend more money per round on the heavier charges and you get higher recoil from the extra powder mass expelled at higher muzzle pressure. So you have to balance what you are trying to achieve.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 22, 2013, 04:39 PM   #27
smuckie

Long shot

Thanks, I did get a pound of Longshot powder which is in the middle of HS6 and Bulleye from what I've read, trying to find a powder that I want to stay with for good
Old March 22, 2013, 06:29 PM   #28
smuckie

Melting pot and bullet mold

Anyone know where to get a used melting pot or 9mm bullets molds, thought I might try my hand at that next
Old March 23, 2013, 10:33 AM   #29
Unclenick
Staff

Used to be a lot on eBay, but those are often overpriced. You have to know the new prices to be careful what you are getting into. But a new 20 lb. Lee pot, at less than $70, is inexpensive enough that I would get that first and avoid used wear and tear unless the used pot was a better quality pot. Note that the RCBS and Lyman pots on the right side are several hundred bucks, by comparison. One of those used might be a reasonable bargain.

Lee also makes a $32 4 lb pot for ladle pouring, but you have to keep those topped up all the time. Hard to get production volume that way. You can also get a camping stove burner and a plumber's cast iron pot and learn to work with those.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; March 24, 2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old March 24, 2013, 03:31 PM   #30
smuckie

thanks

your the best
Old March 30, 2013, 01:07 PM   #31
smuckie

.355 vs .356

Been loading .355 extremes and getting ready to load .356 Berry's soon , any thoughts or changes to make?