The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 26, 2012, 10:09 AM   #1
stuffit

scope base for yugo 24/47

I have a yugo 24/47 action that I acquired and am going to build into a sporter. A couple of questions though.

1 What scope base do you recommend for this action, 1 or 2 piece? It does have the clip hump, and I think I would prefer the 1 piece for the extra strength, but I am open to suggestions.

2 I see several recommendations for the Redfield and Leupold one piece bases for 98 actions. Will a one piece for a 98 fit this action since it is considered an intermediate action and is shorter than a 98 action?

3 Do you recommend milling down the clip hump to make the scope base mounts more uniform or purchasing mounts that work around the hump?

Sorry for all the questions but I am still in the planning stages of this project and want to search out all the options prior to starting.
Thanks in advance
SW
Old October 27, 2012, 07:11 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

The 24/47 is a "Intermediate Ring" Mauser and I think the two piece mount is a lot cheaper. I would remove the hump.
Old October 27, 2012, 09:15 AM   #3
stuffit

thanks Madcreatbuilder for the reply. That is what I thought I would have to do.

In your opinion then will a scope base for a 98 action fit once the hump is removed?

SW
Old October 28, 2012, 08:22 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

The one piece Large ring base well not fit the intermediate ring receiver, there is a 3/4-1" difference in action length. The 98 two piece should be the one to use. The 24/47 has the same Knoxx form diameter as the 98.

There are bases made for the Yugo Mausers, two or three different styles, look on evil bay and Gunbroker.
Old October 28, 2012, 04:59 PM   #5
10-96

Quote:
and I think I would prefer the 1 piece for the extra strength, but I am open to suggestions.
FWIW, I'd like to share my thoughts on your thoughts. There will be the same number of screws holding the base to the receiver- those will be your weak link (if there was one). The Mauser action is built so robust, that if it needs any additional strength from a optics base- please don't chamber whatever it is you're about to chamber and fire. That portion of the one-piece base that runs across the open portion of the receiver is pretty beefy, but what can it do that is above and beyond the capabilities of those screws? Now if one were to disregard the heat treatment of the receiver and TiG weld the one-piece base to both bridges of the receiver- that could add a little rigidness... at the cost of a now-worthless receiver.

Rifles have stood up well for years with even those {much softer} aluminum Weaver style two-piece bases, which by the way use the same four mounting screws. If you were to subject recoil or abuse upon a rifle that would endanger any of the bases... What would that do to the scope itself? And the stock?

It's my opinion that the option between a one-piece and a two piece base is purely cosmetic and personal preference. Also, a two-piece base setup would nullify any worries of Long, Short, or Intermediate length acitons.

Whichever base you go with, I would opt to mill down the clip guide hump. And, I would examine the possibilities of Burris Signature Rings. Those have inserts in the rings that can be changed to adjust for windage or height issues. (Plus, they look darn good on the scalloped Leupold 2-piece bases).

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 29, 2012, 11:11 AM   #6
stuffit

Thank you Madcrate and 10-96 for the information. I am going to look at the two piece bases and I plan on milling the clip hump down.

10-96 I will look at the Burris rings and have already looked at the Luepold bases but have not made a decision.

Thank you both for your input.
SW
Old November 3, 2012, 12:02 AM   #7
tahoe2

scoped 24/47

I used Leupold 2pc bases with hump intact and Leupold , standard rings (high) on my Yugo 24/47. Had a Rem 700 handle welded on and a Timney low mnt safety installed.
I used blue locktite on all the screws. That was 6 or 7 years ago and I have never had a problem with those rings or mounts.
I have sent at least a few hundred rounds downrange, and although the 8x57 is no magnum, it's no slouch either, never lost it's zero!
Old November 5, 2012, 11:34 AM   #8
stuffit

Thanks Tahoe2. Were the Luepold bases made for the 24/47 or were they for a 98 mauser action? I was just curious because I have not found any bases where they said it would work with the clip hump.

SW
Old November 10, 2012, 01:12 AM   #9
tahoe2

stuffit

Leupold standard 2pc M98 with hump from Midway, I tried medium height rings, but the bolt handle wouldn't clear the scope, so had to go high rings, works great, very satisfied.

Last edited by tahoe2; November 10, 2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old November 10, 2012, 10:02 AM   #10
sc928porsche

Weaver 2pc will also work #45 and #46.
Old November 10, 2012, 11:26 AM   #11
taylorce1

Leupold 2 peice don't require you to remove the charging hump, and get the M38/96 bases for intermedieate length Mausers, I've used these before. The picture I just posted is just a stock photo, so it doesn't show the mod for the charging hump. Here is a Weaver one piece base that will work with your action as well but I don't know about the charging hump. I just typed in the search box Mauser 96 at SWFA and got two pages of results that will work with your action.

You'll definately need to rework the bolt handle or replace it all togehter to have it clear your scope, but you don't have to be saddled with using "high rings". I'll recommend Accu-Tig for that, if you are doing this a piece at a time as money allows. If not any competent gunsmith can replace or forge the old bolt handle to clear the scope and work with any height of rings.
Old November 13, 2012, 10:13 AM   #12
stuffit

Thank you guys for all your input and help.

I will check with Midway to see what they have available. I have only looked in Brownells catalog so far but have not seen any that indicated for use with the hump. I still may mill the hump off, I have just not decided yet as to the look I want.

Taylorce1 I do plan to have the bolt handle reconfigured.

Thanks Again
SW