The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 23, 2006, 02:07 PM   #1
FrontSight

What do you do in this situation?

You're bow hunting alone, and shoot a deer in the spine. You get to it and see that it's still very much alive, but paralyzed, and shows no signs that it will die soon, except from predators or maybe even starvation.

The first arrow is stuck in the spine, broken off, so you can't pull it out to reuse it. And for whatever reason you have no arrows left. The state law forbids you from carrying a firearm while bowhunting big game, so you can't shoot it.

What do you do? Do you hit it over the head with a rock? Do you choke it with a rope or your bare hands? Do you slit its throat with your knife? Do you beat it to death with a stick? Do you call a conservation officer and have them dispatch it? What if you're in a remote area with no cell phone reception and can't call a warden? Do you drag it back, still alive, to call someone or to a firearm, or leave it and come back with a warden, knowing coyotes might get to it first and eat it alive?

Just wondering what most people would do in this situation? What's the most humane thing to do?
Old October 23, 2006, 02:29 PM   #2
castnblast

Slit the throat. I always cary a large survival knife for that reason. I had to do this a couple years ago. I hate seeing an animal suffer:barf: . But unfortuntately, mistakes happen. In my case, I "thought" I made a good hit. shot felt good, but the deer jumped the string, and was hit in the spine. The deer crawled off, so I in my haste I went after it, leaving my quiver in the stand. When I caught up to the deer, it was getting close to our fenceline. Having no arrow w/ me, I grabbed it by the antlers, and slit it's throat.

I'm not proud of this moment. It makes me sick thinking about it. But had I not had that knife, it would have crawled under the fence, got on the neighbors pasture, and been coyote bait.

Lessons learned: carry a full quiver, collect yourself, and get your head on before you get out of your stand...always.

The only plus to this sickening situation is that I had the knife, and before each hunt, I sharpen them till they shave w/ a lansky sharpener. (If you don't have one of these gadgets, it is a great little investment.) The deer bled out quickly.

I hope that answers your question. If it were legal, I'd carry a sidearm, but since it's not, my only choice was the knife. During general season (rifle) when I used to still bowhunt, I carried a .357 mag, which is legal to do during the rifle season.
Old October 23, 2006, 03:28 PM   #3
Twycross

+1 for slicing the throat. Every hunter should have a knife available and up to the task.
Old October 23, 2006, 04:06 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

First, don't get in that situation; have at least 3 or 4 broadheaded arrows on you.

Second, yep, slit the throat all the way across with a good sharp knife.

Third, while doing #2, take great precautions not to get thrashed by the horns if it's a buck - stay well clear of antlers and hooves on a dying deer - they can hurt ya good.
Old October 23, 2006, 04:09 PM   #5
castnblast

1+ on all. Get the rack under control. I approached from behind and hold on tight.
Old October 23, 2006, 07:47 PM   #6
whiskey

Well I didn't run out of arrows I just left them and the bow in the truck becasue of the thought of dragging a deer out was on my mind.

I get to the doe and she is still able to run on her front legs. I was a kid and scared as hell. She started bleating very loudly and that scared me more. There was no way in hell she was letting me get close enough to jump on her back and cut her throat. She was pawing at me and biting at me. I grabbed a huge rock and chunked her in the head as hard as I could. It stunned her long enough for me stab her in the throat before she started kicking at me again.

Not the best way, but it worked for me. You all can learn from our mistakes. Don't be the dumba$$ that leaves your bow or arrows behind to save effort. The deer deserves better of you as a hunter. I learned my lesson.
Old October 23, 2006, 08:01 PM   #7
Webleymkv

Wouldn't it be more humane to break the deer's neck? I've heard that with the right knowledge of anatomy this isn't particularly hard to do.
Old October 23, 2006, 09:42 PM   #8
Venison_Jerkey32

In Texas you can carry a gun if you have a chl. Also, if there is an arrow sticking out of the spine and you do shoot it to end the misery, I doubt the game warden would give you trouble. (unless he thought you shot the arrow afterwards.) But I hunt on private land, so what do I know? Around here the game warden would only come if the neigherbors called him, so if I had to shoot, I would take another 20 or so shots so the nieghbors would think it was only shootin practice.

Sorry if this is OT, but we had an instance where we scared a doe on our property and it got caught in a fence and broke its leg, and was obviously going to die. What are the legal ways to deal with it. Can you shoot it or slit its throat if it's out of season. If this is OT don't respond and sorry for the hijack.

I do not advocate braking any game laws, but I do believe that although in black and white, shooting a wounded deer during bow season might be against the regulations, it still follows the "intent" of the law and if it is your only option is the ethical thing to do. However, slit the throat or get some arrows first if you can.
Old October 23, 2006, 10:40 PM   #9
springmom

+1 on slitting the throat.

Re: on your property, call your state's version of Parks and Wildlife, or the sheriff's office if P&W is closed. Common sense, of course, would say "put it out of its misery quickly" and the sheriff or P&W may indeed tell you to do just that. But they may not too.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old October 24, 2006, 09:33 AM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

WebleyMkV, your idea might work if you're quite strong and are experienced in dealing with livestock. You'd be amazed at how violent a deer can be, even a small one.

Vignette: A buddy of mine and I found a small buck caught in a coyote snare where he'd tried to crawl under a fence. We didn't want to hurt the deer, of course. But it took both of us a fair amount of effort to tie the feet all together before loosening the snare--and that was with the little bucks head pretty well immobilized.

Then our warped senses of humor took over. We put the deer in the pickup and went back to camp, me riding in back sorta sitting on the deer. We got to camp and somebody said, "Where's the deer?" I undid the ropes and said, "Right here!" and sorta goosed the little buck toward the group of folks standing around the campfire.

Sort of a covey explosion of the biggest quail I ever did see!

In Texas during gun season, you can carry a pistol as well as a rifle, CHL or no. Anytime of year, if I ever saw a deer caught in a fence and it was still alive, I'd shoot it, get it free from the fence, and leave it for the coyotes and buzzards. It never has occurred to me to waste some number of hours waiting on some Official Person. That's cruel for the deer.

Art

PS: Real time, now: Quail attack! Blues on the porch! Mama, poppa, and a half-dozen half-growns.
Old October 24, 2006, 07:37 PM   #11
Socrates

Carry a gun, and shoot it.

Animals deserve a quick, effective, painless death.

S
Old October 24, 2006, 10:15 PM   #12
22-rimfire

I'd walk back and get a couple arrows.
Old October 26, 2006, 03:41 PM   #13
huntatnight

Slit the throat, but be careful, if it starts getting rammy and has enough life in it, those hooves will cut you real good if you're not careful. I spined a doe with my muzzleloader 2 years ago and only the front legs were working, but I stayed clear and finally took care of it.

John
Old October 26, 2006, 04:23 PM   #14
castnblast

Art, you gonna skillet shot any of them thar quail on Saturday? Those blues are mighty tasty!
Old October 26, 2006, 06:11 PM   #15
FrontSight

Twist:

What if it's an AWESOME trophy, and you really don't want to slit the throat & ruin the mount by slitting the throat...what then? Or can a good taxidermist take care of that?

Maybe I'm just taking this too far now...