The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 25, 2004, 08:33 PM   #1
paddykern

HD plus deer hunting recommendation

I don't know a thing about shotguns.

I usually hunt deer with a 30-30, but next year may need a shotgun for a new hunting zone.

Shotgun will only be used a few times for deer. Mostly interested in HD use. Can I use an 18.5 inch HD shotgun for deer, or will I need to get another barrel. I don't shoot birds (which is why I don't know a thing about shotguns)

So, what brand, model, sights (what are Ghost Sights and are they a good idea?), ammo for HD and for deer?

Anything else you can think of for this newbe would be appreciated.

paddykern
Westland MI
Old November 25, 2004, 09:17 PM   #2
Indy_SIG

Take a look at the many variations of shotguns offered by Remington. Look especially at the 12-gauge 870 Super Mag Combo. I hunt deer with it and it's also standing guard next to me as I type. The shorter, rifled barrel is for deer and the longer barrel if it you ever needed a field gun. You'll use slugs in a shotgun for hunting deer. For HD....there's a few schools of thought on what to load. Personally, I use the same slugs I use to hunt deer. another advantage of the Remington 870 is that virtually everyone who makes accessory items for shotguns make a version for the 870. There have been more 870's sold than the next 2 competitors combined.

Ghost ring sights have a very large aperature on the rear sight so that, when you look at the front sight, there appears to be a haze or "glow" ring around the rear sight. They supposedly are good for close-range target acquisition on shotguns. Personally, I never saw the advantage and don't need them. Frankly, using a shotgun, your deer isn't going to be all that far away - standard sights should be good enough.

Good luck in your search.

Remington
Old November 25, 2004, 11:02 PM   #3
Danindetroit

Check out Dunham's, Dick's sporting Goods, and Gander Mountain in Taylor. I shot a lot of rem 870's ,and found that I like Mossbergs better. Depinding on where you are hunting, you can use slugs designed for smoothbore barrels, and then use buckshot for followups. You can get a rifled barrel and use saboted slugs. Many rifled barrels come with a cantilevered scope mount which is more accurate than a receiver mounted sight device. I westland even though most of the houses are brick, I would still use buckshot for HD. You could probably get away with using buffered copperplated buck, but I would probably use a non-buffered lead 00 buck at 1300 fps, this will probably go though most attackers, but helps to stop house to house penetrations in brick houses. You can also try #4 buck for the first couple of rounds. Pattern your shotgun with the type of rounds you decide to use for HD. Find the gun that fells good in your hands. PM me if you want some more info.

www.mossberg.com
Old November 26, 2004, 07:26 PM   #4
the possum

I'm gonna assume you realize a gun should be the last thing to consider as part of any home defense strategy. So, having said that, I always prefer automatic guns when defense may be on the docket. Autos are generally faster with follow-up shots, no worries about "short stroking", do not require the use of both hands to operate, and thus are better if your offhand is needed for something else, or you find yourself having to fire from a very awkward position.

For deer hunting, you may be lucky enough to find a smoothbore that will shoot slugs well. It's best to go ahead and try it out before investing in a rifled barrel, but so far none of my smoothbores provide acceptable accuracy past 50 yards. By upgrading to a fully rifled barrel with a canteliever for a scope, the same guns are easily capable at 125 yards or more. This system works out pretty well, as you can buy a short barreled home defense gun, and when deer season rolls around, just swap barrels (with scope still attached) and you're ready to go.
Old December 11, 2004, 06:57 PM   #5
NSO_w/_SIG

Yup

I have killed 2 deer at around 100 yds with my 870, rifled barrel along with 2 3/4 in remmington copper solid saboted slugs. I also have a fixed 4 power scope on it. I have another 870 with a smooth bore and no scope for HD.
Old December 11, 2004, 08:24 PM   #6
vitesse9

Get the Remington 870 Deer Gun in the smooth-bore, improved choke model.

http://www.remington.com/firearms/shotguns/870expdr.htm

The barrel is only 20 inches long, which makes it short enough for home defense. THe improved choke will tighten the pattern a bit, but nothing so tight that you couldn't light up a hallway in you needed to deal with BGs in your house. I noticed that almost all the Remington police shotguns have improved choke rather than cylinder barrels. With the smooth-bore version you can hunt with buckshot or rifled slugs. If you want accuracy more in line a rifle, you can order a rifled barrel through you dealer. The rifled barrels look exactly the same (same length, same sights etc.) and 870s are designed to change out barrels with no more effort the it takes to field strip the gun. With the rifled barrel, you can shoot sabot slugs.

If you own both barrels, you've got yourself a nice little hunting SG and home defense SG in one package. I was at a gunshow today and it took all my self control not to buy one for a hog hunt next week.

Good luck!