The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 25, 2013, 08:47 PM   #1
MEkovich

Variant (Stevens Model 520)

I just purchased a Stevens Model 520 ( Valiant ) Trap Model 30 inch full barrel for $100. The gun is in great shape for being almost 100 years old. Trouble is that it won't eject after being fired. It has a a recoil operated ejection system. Something isn't working the way it should. Any help would be appriciated. Also any help on the gun itself would be nice. Not much info on line? I know it was made for a department store in Pittsburgh. (TRADENAME USED BY SPEAR & CO OF PITTSBURGH PA ON FIREARMS THEY RETAILED) If any one has any thoughts I would appriciate it.

Thanks, Mitch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 011.JPG (239.5 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 018.jpg (226.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 020.jpg (230.7 KB, 78 views)
Old March 25, 2013, 10:13 PM   #2
31kilo

Are you serious? It's a pump action shotgun not recoil operated.

http://youtu.be/8yX8laJwxKE
Old March 26, 2013, 12:38 AM   #3
Scorch

I have never heard of a Stevens 520 trap gun, they are field grade shotguns. The long barrel is typical of the era during the transition from black powder to smokeless shotgun shells, in fact that was the norm well into the 1980s. The Stevens 520 is a pump shotgun, not an autoloader, so it should not auto eject. The reason your Stevens 520 is in such good shape is that it appears to have been refinished at some point in its life. A good refinish job, but not as it originally left the factory.

FWIW, parts are unavailable, and people who know how to work on them are few and far between. And BTW, your shotgun is not completely assembled, or not tightly, as you can clearly see that the coupling splines are not fully engaged.
Old March 26, 2013, 08:46 AM   #4
MEkovich

Stevens Model 520

I am quite aware that it's a pump shotgun. I am also aware that it's has an
"inertia block" system that only allows to be operated (Pumped) after a shell is fired and the recoil is felt by the gun. Also they made three grades Field,Trap & Deluxe.

The following information was obtained from: John M. Browning: American Gunmaker.Second Edition. John Browning and Curt Gentry. Published by Browning. 1964. Page 258.

History: Patent application on this model was filed July 10, 1903 and U.S. Patent No. 781,765 was granted February 7, 1905. Manufacturing and sales rights were acquired by the Stevens Arms Company in 1903 and the gun was placed on the market in early 1904 as the Stevens Model 520. A streamlined version, the Model 620, was introduced in 1927.

Description: Pump-action, concealed hammer, solid-breech, tubular magazine, takedown repeating shotgun.

The following specifications refer to the Model 520:

Gauge:12
Chamber: 2/3.25"
Magazine type and capacity:Tubular. 5 shells
Model styles: Field, Trap and Deluxe
Barrel lengths 26, 28, 30 and 32"
Choke: Full choke, modified choke, and cylinder bore
Weight: 7.5lbs (approximately)
Stock: Field and Deluxe, checkered, semi-pistol grip, rubber butt plate. Trap, checkered, straight grip rubber butt plate.

The Model 520 was discontinued in 1932 though it's likely Stevens was still assembling the model from already fabricated parts and selling it for a few years after manufacturing was stopped.

The Model 620 was designed to eliminate the abrupt angle at the rear of the reciever. The 620 was also specifically manufactured for police and military (riot) in addition to the above named styles. The 620 was discontinued in 1955. Production numbers of either model are unknown. At least they were unknown when this book was

I just thought someone would know more on the subject and help?

Thanks,
Mitch
Old March 26, 2013, 09:54 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

You used slightly incorrect language and terminology in your OP...

So you are saying the gun simply is not unlocking when trigger is pulled so you cannot cycle to fire the next round?

Is it "recoil" operated or is it "trigger operated" like my 500 mossberg?
If the latter, i would remedy the same issue on mine with a thorough cleaning and relube... If I find a notch or something hanging it up I could smooth it then...

Brent
Old March 26, 2013, 01:21 PM   #6
MEkovich

Model 520 Pump

The 520 has an "inertia block" that moves as a result of the recoil of a discharge, just dry firing won't do it. You can "fool" the action into moving by holding the gun vertically by the forearm and jerk it upward. Now you should be able to rack the slide. Mine wasn't doing this.
Old March 27, 2013, 06:50 AM   #7
Goatwhiskers

Only the very early 520's had the inertia bar to unlock the action. It was soon changed to the curved wire spring affair that engages the hammer to unlock the action as in the more modern guns. There is also a button to move the bar so the gun can be unloaded. I have one in the shop now that I converted to use the more modern system as inertia bars are unobtanium. GW
Old March 27, 2013, 10:30 AM   #8
MEkovich

inertia block

Thanks for the information. That makes some sence to me now. I think that mine has the wire as far as I can see. It still doesn't allow me to cycle the action when I fire a round. I am going to take it to my local gunsmith to see if he can figure it out. I haven't taken the trigger assembly out but I can see the spring and it looks to be new. Also I got it to cycle twice by dropping it on the floor thus faking a round going off. It only did this twice after a number of tries. Maybe there is some dirt stopping it from working. I did clean it very well. hanks, Mitch
Old March 28, 2013, 02:28 PM   #9
Pyzon

My 620 would also not cycle properly after firing. Putting the action into a ultrasonic cleaner that also heats using M-Pro7 dissolved about a pound of junk and gunk, it came out shiny and now works like new.

Congrats on your scoring one of my pump favorites. $100 is especially good, too.
Old March 30, 2013, 10:47 PM   #10
Mauser8mm

Nice Shotgun!

Beautiful gun, and if it doesn't eject, take it apart and oil it very well and give it a little lube. Being that old, there is a good chance it has corrosion or obstruction on or near the ejector, and any other parts.

It's better to be silent and called a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
Old March 31, 2013, 06:30 AM   #11
Hawg

I've got two of them, an early one and a late one. Stocks are replacements on both. Yours is an early one. You can push the pump handle forward and then pull it back to release the lock and it will cycle unfired that way.

Old April 2, 2013, 10:52 AM   #12
MEkovich

Valiant 520

Fixed It! Replaced the side lock spring, adjusted it, Works like new. Thanks Goatwiskers. You put me on the right track. Shotgun is like new for being almost 100 yr old. I think someone had it tucked away in his shop.