The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 30, 2005, 03:04 PM   #26
almark

Nio... be careful with the balloons. I caught a ricochet in the ear when I was seven because the BBs were actually bouncing off the balloons. We were using underinflated balloons at a pretty good distance though.
Old August 4, 2005, 01:40 PM   #27
Duxman

These stories bring a tear to my eye.

My first pellet gun was a .177 single shot pump gun. No name brand it was a local asian manufacturer. Got it when I was 10 years old. Had tons of fun shooting birds and occasional rats. Not to mention targets galore.

Now all I need is to have kids to teach them the finer points of gun safety and marksmanship. Future shooter.
Old August 5, 2005, 01:31 AM   #28
fastforty

I'd have to agree, 3-1/2 is pretty young- about the best you can do is hold a .22 rifle & let her pull the trigger (& that might not be a good idea, it may give her the idea that it is safe to shoot a gun that she may come in contact with at a later time).

I think I might have told this here once before, but for those who missed it:

We adopted our daughter at 6 years of age, after she had spent her entire life constantly suffering various forms of abuse & neglect. The professionals involved with her case told us that she was severely delayed socially, emotionally and academically. They told us not to expect much from her, that we had better be prepared to parent a very young child for the rest of our lives. They went on to tell us that she had no "cause & effect" thinking, & most likely never would. Yes, she had a lot of problems, but they were environmental in nature. dd is 10 now, and those same professionals stand in silent awe when we take her to meetings and other functions. She is the most mature & responsible 10 year old that any of them have known.

I got dd her first rifle, a little youth sized Chipmonk when she turned 8. She already knew how serious I take handling firearms, so she went out of her way to memorize (and understand) the Basic Firearms Safety Rules. After that, I gave her about 15 minutes worth of instruction on grip, stance, sight picture and trigger control & we headed out back to the range. I demonstrated the loading/firing/unloading technique & set up a pepsi can 20-30 feet away. I stayed very close by and gave her her first round of Aguila Super Colibri, a primer powered, powderless .22 round that is nearly silent (dd has an audio sensitivity problem). She carefully loaded, aimed, and fired. She missed the small target by a foot or more & I was disappointed for her (I guess someone had to be, lol). She took another round, loaded, aimed more carefully & set that can sailing! She then proceded to pelt that poor can 1/2 way across the barnyard, jacking shells in&out of the little single shot rifle like an old pro She got 9 hits out of her first 10 shots (including that first miss). She was soooooo jazzed, & wanted to carry the rifle back to the house. She did so with extreme care & responsibility. 8 years old seemed like the perfect time for her.

Teaching a child to shoot using a firearm that is scaled to fit them is a big plus. Picture your adult self, never having fired a shot in your life, trying to learn to shoot with a 8 foot long, 22 pound rifle with a length of pull equal to 1-1/2 times your arm's legth.

dd's first can:
http://tinypic.com/a0ucfk.jpg
Old August 5, 2005, 02:08 AM   #29
Rangefinder

There's a lot of opinions surrounding this whole issue, and I want to point out that none of them are entirely right or wrong---it's a personal/individual judgement call all the way. But for my 2-cents...

I grew up with firearms. I do have to point out that I grew up in Montana, very much in the country--back yard was thousands of achres of forest and the nearest neighbor was a 1/4 mile away. Anyway... I had my first scope-black-eye and bruised shoulder from my dad's .270 when I was 5 when he was sighting in for hunting season. Why? Because I could handle my "Coast-to-Coast" bolt-action single shot .22 like a champ and wanted to prove I could handle something bigger. My dad's comment--"Ok hotshot, knock yourself out." So I did, literally. Point being, the do's and DON'Ts of firearms were ingrained in me as far back as I can remember. And that translated straight across to my own son. He began going shooting with me at three, shot his first weapon at four (with help), and shot completely solo with supervision at five. He's nine now and helps me handload, start to finish--I load his and he loads mine (with me watching very closely--lets not get crazy). But he shoots everything I own, including my 7mm Mag (which I'll add is his favorite, and I usually have to hold back a box of shells for myself if I want to shoot it). Admittedly, my 7mm IS the Remington Sendero and nearly as smooth a recoil as my 6mm, unlike the 7mm hunting rifle I grew up with that had a mule-kick. He's a damned good shot, and about the most responsible young shooter I can honestly say I've seen, all bias point of view aside.

All things considered, I'd say there really is no textbook ideal age to introduce shooting to your kids. It just comes down to and individual judgement call.
Old August 5, 2005, 03:11 PM   #30
dave_in_delaware

I can't imagine my kids with guns... yet...

In my opinion, my kids are too young for guns. I have 2 girls and a boy (5,4,2) and I can't even imagine them with a gun, even a BB gun. My 5 year old is rather mature for her age, and *might* be able to handle the responsibility (closely supervised of course), but I don't think she's ready for that (I know I'm not either ). My 4 year old is still in the "I'll ignore what you said to test you and see if I get punished" stage, so that's a definite "no" with her. My son, well, I won't even pretend that a 2 year old should be firing any kind of gun. I was maybe 16 before I even had a BB gun. My Mom and grandparents raised me, and they weren't "into" guns (they were neither pro nor anti gun), so I never worried about guns, either. We just didn't talk about it. Guns weren't an issue at all, with my family or the area we lived in. Out of sight, out of mind I guess. My grandfather even owned a shotgun (now mine), but it lived in the closet (from his hunting days). My Ex-wife, on the other hand, is totally against guns (even play guns), especially in the house (she's one of those "if someone broke in they could use it on you" people, especially with kids around).

These are MY opinions only as far as gun-safe ages for kids. I'd definitely wait at least a few years. I'm not sure when I'll get my kids into guns, especially w/ the way their Mommy is, but I do want to teach them about guns eventually. They DO already know that if they find one, don't EVER touch it, because they could accidentally hurt themselves or someone else, and to tell an adult about it. I'm thinking I'll take them to the range some day so they can see (and hear) for themselves, but when they're older, like say 12ish? At 18 though, they'll be able to decide for themselves.

1. Springfield Armory XD-9 sub-compact (1110 rnds as of 06/18/05)
2. Springfield Armory XD-9 sub-compact (w/ blue & silver GK, gift for fiancee)
3. Ithaca Gun Company Model 37 12ga shotgun (from Grandfather)
4. Future: AR-15 build
Old August 5, 2005, 04:53 PM   #31
chemist308

At 3.5 a water gun is the best bet.

In a year or year and a half when the coordination and understanding/listening is a bit better there is a toy called tin can alley. Shoots a light beam just under a tin can, where a sensor sits. Sensor detects the beam and knocks the can over--good for begining to learns sites. They go for about $20.

At age 7 a Red Ryder (Daisy) or Crossman 760 depending on reach. You may opt for the Daisy because the Crossman pump is harder to work at that age. Both of those go for about $30 at Wal Mart or Kmart. I just got mine 7 yr old started on the Crossman simply because it's a much better gun for the same money.

I didn't get my first real gun until I was 12 (legal hunting age in PA) but my dad had me shooting his 22 from age 10. But they also make 22 single shot rifles that would perfect for a kid 8 yrs old or so to hold. Just don't quite trust mine with that yet.
Old August 5, 2005, 05:33 PM   #32
MikeWrite

My own daughter's progression has thus far gone like so:

Age 6 - Daisy Red Ryder
Age 8 - Crosman air pistol
Age 9 - Crickett .22 single shot
Age 12 - Ruger 10/22

She can hit 2" discs at 30 yards from field positions (never the bench) with boring regularity using the 10/22. Tennis balls are in serious danger at 50 yards. The 75 yard steel chicken at the gun club rings with rapid fire hits. Lately she has also tried my Browning Buckmark and the wife's KelTec P32 and CZ75. She did reasonably well with all. She has no desire to shoot my AR. Says it's too loud.

I am a leaf on the wind.
Old August 5, 2005, 06:09 PM   #33
Edward429451

Hmm lotsa good advice here. Can't diagree with anyones perspective but my views vary somewhat from the norm it seems.

I'm of the mind that BB guns are not a good 1st choice (lemmee splain) and are in fact a step up from so called 'real' firearms for serious practice. My reasoning is that BB guns are not viewed as real guns and there's where the problem is started. Kids & adults alike see them as more of a toy than a firearm. The parents will walk away from a child in the backyard with a BB gun faster than if they had a real gun, and the kids pick up on this and not a real gun is implanted in their mind. Then when a real 22 comes their way, the parents again reinforce in the childs mind that its not a real gun by saying "Be careful this is a "real" gun" etc..Consequently, the child naturally will not give the BB gun the same respect in handling that a "real" gun requires and then the accidents/negligence whathaveyou will occur.

By making the childs first exposure a real 22, the foundation is laid for them to give BB guns the same respect and safety in handling that they in fact deserve. What parent would walk away from a child with a 22? None Darwinism notwithstanding. The parent will not be distracted, the child will pick up on this and there will be no confusion when a BB gun shows up. Foundation is firm in safety.

My kids were shooting 22 single shot rifles at age 3 with 110% supervision (read, full prone off a rest or offhand totally encapsulated by mom or dad and basically all they did was pull the trigger.) By age 5 they were shooting mini-14's full prone unassisted off a rest and Ruger Bearcat 22 pistol with CB shorts in it. BB guns did not get put in their hands until around age 6 or 7 (?) after safety was well ingrained in them and it was explained that they were not toys but specialty arms for serious practice in the backyard (mostly).

I have them on video shooting a 45 (they asked) at around age 5, again, 110% supervision. By age 13 or 14 they were keeping loaded handguns in their room and no tragidies ever occured. I was mighty proud to have them come to me with them and say hey put this up to be safe, I'm not sure of one of my friends when I go to the bathroom and leave him in there alone.
Around 6 or so they were playing squirtguns with their friends and I came walking by and noticed my boys practicing muzzle control for me (a non-combatent) by lowering the muzzle with fingers off the trigger! Whoa.

I had em reciting the 4 rules consistently by age 5, on demand. Below age 6, kids can soak up a lot of information. Don't underestimate their ability to learn correctly at a young age. Give them enough credit to be able to be trained. Train them as you would an adult, while being patient enough to (silently) give them some concessions for age as mistakes will be made. I demonstrated the destructive power by shooting shaken cans of soda and then telling them to "fix -it, make it better (while handing them the split can) "this is what would happen to your brother or mother if you shot them, this is real not TV"...and so forth.

Maturity is the key, patience from the parent is another key. Diligence. You may agree or disagree and YMMV. Not all kids will respond as well as mine did, be careful. The choice is yours and your responsibility, but this worked for me so thought I'd share. Good luck and be safe.