The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 29, 2005, 03:44 PM   #1
Para Bellum

When and what with teach kids to shoot?

my 3.5 year old wants to learn how to shoot.
So I wonder what would be the right age to teach her and
what would be a suitable "gun"

I surely would never use a firearm for that purpose. An airgun maybe. But which one? CO2, BB....?

I have no clue about these "guns"...
Old July 29, 2005, 03:53 PM   #2
Jkwas

at 3 and 5, I would say a water pistol. Unless your children are more mature than mine were at that age!
Old July 29, 2005, 03:55 PM   #3
Bowtier

A Cristmas story

Red Ryder . Best first gun I ever had & I never put anyones eye out like my mom worried I would. I still have that gun.....although I think I wore it out cuz it just won't drop a grizz on the first shot anymore
Old July 29, 2005, 03:55 PM   #4
jrklaus

I started working with my son on actual shooting around eleven, which is probably a lot later than many do.

Do you think she is ready to deal with any type of firearm responsibly? That is the question that only you and those who know her can answer.

I certainly have shown my children firearms (unloaded of course) since they were as young as your daughter is, to take the "forbidden fruit" factor away...but my gut feeling is that five may be too young?
Old July 29, 2005, 03:57 PM   #5
Para Bellum

she's 3.5 (three and a half).
Old July 29, 2005, 04:04 PM   #6
jrklaus

Okay, now I understand. Above still stands; only you and those others who know her well can make the best determination if she is ready or not, but I would wait.
Old July 29, 2005, 04:06 PM   #7
Para Bellum

Ok. If she is/will be ready: What would you use for first practice?
Old July 29, 2005, 04:18 PM   #8
jrklaus

When you decide the time is right, based upon her age at the time, whichever of good air rifle or .22 bolt action is appropriate. If you are using the .22, I would give one round at a time, whether it is a repeater or not.
Old July 29, 2005, 04:36 PM   #9
mete

There are significant brain developments as the child ages, what they can understand etc .7 or 8 would be more appropriate,3 or 4 is too young .Start out with a 22 single shot rifle.
Old July 29, 2005, 04:47 PM   #10
Wynterbourne

Where I grew up, you almost had to know how to use a gun. Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE, in my area knew the basics of the pistol, the rifle, and the shotgun.

To start my Dad gave me a brand spanking new Daisy, lever action, BB gun when I was 3. We spent 4-5 weekends making sure I knew how to handle it. Then he spent a few more weekends only letting me play with it when I was with him. Then he let me play with it whenever I wanted.

Around age 4, he was letting me use a single shot .22 rifle that we had. As skill progressed, we went up to an old 16 shot, tube loaded, semi-automatic .22 rifle. At age 5, he gave me an Colt 9 shot .22 revolver, with a slightly bent barrel.

I still have all 3 to this day.

Of course, in the part of the country that I lived in, and I do mean country, this was not unusual. The nearest gas station was 30 minutes away. To go to the nearest movie was a 2.5 hour drive. The nearest hospital was just under 2 hours.

The primary reason that we learned how to handle firearms was to handle local varmints, such as wild dogs, wildcats, and snakes, as well as to hunt food. I took my first deer with a .22, because I didn't know you weren't supposed to be able to do that. I ate more squirrel than the Goddess intended any man to, because that's all we had to eat.

Of course, we were so backwards that I still remember openning fire on a group of kids with some rat shot, because they shot at me with a pellet rifle. I still remember that their parents were only upset because I scorched their clothes.

Now, in current times, particularly if you live in the city, I don't think it's that vital to teach kids at that young an age. Unless you feel that they might come across a pack of wild dogs (which will put you in the hospital real quick...and that's personal experience talking), or need to hunt for food, I honestly can't say that I agree with it.

On the other hand, though, I took my God Children shooting for the first time at age 5, with that same single shot, bolt action, 22.

"You can say ‘stop’ or ‘alto’ or use any other word you think will work, but I’ve found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone’s head is pretty much the universal language." - Clint Smith

9mm. Because no matter how you try to rationalize it, .45 ACP is still for people trying to compensate for -something-.
Old July 29, 2005, 05:15 PM   #11
mantis7

I second the B.B. Gun

I can't honestly remember when I got my first B.B. Gun. I think it was when I was around five years old. It was just a pump gun that wasnt very strong at all. Later on when I was older, I got a CO2 gun and some stronger BB guns, then my first .22 when I was 10-12 or so.

I know they have alot of those "soft" guns now, it could be cool to practice shooting with those soft guns or dart guns you can even use inside. That would be really fun with a toddler I think. 3.5 years old seems a little too young for a .22 though, but hey Im not a parent and I was a little devilchild... LOL
Old July 29, 2005, 05:18 PM   #12
News Shooter

What about

One of those S & W .50 calibres? I think with two hands she ought to be abe to handle it OK
Old July 29, 2005, 05:37 PM   #13
bdc

teaching a child

I don't think that age is as much a factor as maturity. And, you don't have to use a pellet gun, bb gun or simunitions.

I received permission from my brother-in-law to teach his 11 year old to shoot. It happened to be a Glock 17 in 9mm.

Here is what we did, past the lectures on safety that wash over people.

First, after making sure it was safe (and we have to put that in or some one with itchy fingers would be typing already), I showed him how to take out the magazine and put it in. He did that.

Then, I showed him how to take the magazine out and lock the slide back and look inside for a round. Then I put the slide down and put the magazine in. Then he did what I had just done.

And thus it went. He learned how to insert and take out the magazine, go to slide lock, look for a round, load a magazine and on and on.

Once, he had things like that down, I showed him proper framing, sitting. Then we practiced framing with an unloaded gun. Then, after a half hour of money see/monkey do, he was able to fire one round that he had loaded into a magazine, inserted the magazine, and then made safe.

The idea is to do monkey see/monkey do.

The same week, we did a complete takedown of Garands and reassembly so that one could be shipped to his home for when his dad could take him out.

The essence is to demonstrate and have the child repeat the same movements flawlessly. Lectures are meaningless.

Two days with the 11 year old on the Glock cost me 1000 rounds of reloads.
Old July 29, 2005, 05:52 PM   #14
chris in va

Yup, 3.5 is way too young, but take her with you so she gets used to being around the noise and atmosphere. Provided you lock up your firearms at home in a safe, etc, I don't see the harm in you holding a single shot rifle for her while she squeezes the trigger.

I started with a Daisy lever action BB gun at about 6-7. Got so proficient with the thing I could rapid fire ALA The Rifleman.
Old July 29, 2005, 07:11 PM   #15
Limeyfellow

3.5 years old is rather too young indeed. The child is barely aware really at that age of higher concepts like right and wrong, complex questioning and so on. I would wait a few years.
Old July 29, 2005, 07:23 PM   #16
The Rabbi

I second JRKlaus' comments.

But you might let her help you with cleaning them, explaining the different parts and how they work. Take her to the range so she can watch you (make sure she is supervised carefully and wont run out on the field). But it is a very individual thing. My son started shooting at about 6.

Of course you could let her touch off .357 magnum and she will never, ever, touch another gun again.
Old July 29, 2005, 07:49 PM   #17
Tylden

My son is 10 and has a birthday coming up in September....he'll be getting a CZ 452 Scout .22 bolt action. In the meantime, he's been shooting a Crossman pump bb gun in the back yard ( we do have a suitable back yard for this), and his first shooting experience was at about 7 with the cub scouts with a Daisy red ryder. At 3 or 4 years old though, perhaps a water pistol or even a rubber band gun....I still have a few of these in my arsenal LOL. I still use my "1911" water pistol a couple times a week to get the boy out of bed in the morning on school days
Old July 29, 2005, 08:09 PM   #18
Ftom14cat

The first gun I ever remember firing is my grandfather's garand, when I was around 8 or 9. Needless to say, at that age the recoil was probably too much to really learn on. It took me a while to get over the flinch I developed. If I could do it over again, it would be a .22 first. Once you learn/teach how to shoot accurately and safely then you can move up to the larger calibers.
Old July 29, 2005, 08:22 PM   #19
butch50

Age 8, on average, is the youngest age for a firearm. If you have an EXCEPTIONALLY MATURE 7 year old, then maybe.....Start them with bb guns at about age 6, teaching them all the safety rules and making them respect the bb gun the same as you will a firearm.

EXPECT that at age 6 or so with the bb gun that you will have to discipline them many times. Do not expect perfect behavior with guns at that age. But it is a good age to start the process. By age 8 you should have smoothed out the problems and they should be ready for the next step.

At age 8 move them up to a .22 single shot bolt action rifle. Work up from there as they mature.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old July 29, 2005, 08:53 PM   #20
big daddy 9mm

mmm

I thihnk I would wait till about age 7 but I would definitly make the kicker be the maturity of thew kid. my dad pretty much taught me when I was 14 but I would also see how much desire the child has. also some kids are more 'with it' than others so.....
Old July 30, 2005, 09:22 AM   #21
delta58

I started hunting with my dad when I was 8. But I don't think they are ever too toung to learn about guns, not shooting mind you but I allowed my kids to see and touch mine while I cleaned them and when I shot sometimes. I think this removes some of the curiosity. My youngest is now 15 and they know a firearm for what it is, a valuable tool that can be very dangerous if misused. I started mine on bb's and then went to .22's & 20 ga's.
Old July 30, 2005, 09:41 AM   #22
USP45usp

Quote:
I don't see the harm in you holding a single shot rifle for her while she squeezes the trigger.
I would like to add that a good pellet rifle or .22 with light loads would be best for this.

Also, aren't they in the "sing along stage" at 3.5? This way you and she can sing the rules of gun safety.

Having her there while cleaning is a good idea but I would try to find some cleaning materials that aren't as toxic as Hoppe's, etc.. (I don't know of any right now but some of the others may). If it gets on her hands you have to ensure that nothing goes into her mouth (hands, fingers, etc..) and that she washes up right away.

Invest in the Eddie Eagle video ASAP and play that for her just as you would any of her other childhood videos that she has.

I think that right now, she is just wanting to do what daddy is doing (this could be with anything). Daughters seem to cling to their fathers while sons seem to cling to their mothers at this age.

If she seems to retain the interest as she grows older, then around maybe 5 or 7 buy her a .22 of her own and then make a father/daughter "art" bonding thing by painting and decorating the stock of the rifle (the 10/22 seems to be the one to get) so that it's personalized for her and that she knows that it's hers.

Wayne
Old July 30, 2005, 10:13 AM   #23
Nio

My daughter is 4 1/2...

...and since she was 3 1/2 she begged me to teach her to shoot, but her mother was of the "you'll shoot yer eye out" crowd....

So, two weeks ago I took her to the store and bought a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun. I got mine when I was 4, and I didn't shoot my eye out...

When we took it out of the box, I was absolutely horrified. It is the cheapest POS I have ever seen. It's mostly plastic - even the cocking lever. It's a real shame. My Daisy (37 years old) is all metal, and still shoots just fine even if the spring is a little weak these days. I REALLY wish I could find something that was decent for her, but everything I've looked at since is all junk.

Not to discourage her, I taught her how to walk around with it pointed at the sky, and she was very happy to march around with it. We shot some paper targets, some balloons, and she was totally thrilled. Then I let her shoot my AirSoft guns, which she did a little better with. The Red Rider is a little large for her - of course, so are the airsoft guns.

I don't think it's ever really too early to start teaching them about guns.

Nio
Old July 30, 2005, 11:08 AM   #24
jrklaus

Nio, do Benjamin or Sheridan still make air rifles? They used to be pretty high quality.
Old July 30, 2005, 11:49 AM   #25
claude783

At this age, a single shot pellet gun would suffice. A suitable target can be set up in the garage, living room, and basic marksmanship can be taught.

For fun, my son (year ago) would set up his toy army men and have battles. He would use the pellet rifle and I used my pellet pistole. Would set up 10 men apiece and the first one to clean out the other won!

I also purchased a reseting pellet target, and we would shoot it.

At age 5, I got him a .22 and we went out into the desert. I took a couple of cans of tomato juice, loaded his .22 with cci stingers and let him "blast" the cans. The explosion and flash of red give him a visual impact of what a gun can do. Then to further educate him, took the 30-06 and shot a pumpkin. Had pieces of the pumpkin flying 30 feet in every direction. He still remembers that pumpkin to this day.

At 9-10 I got him pump action .22. I'd have to go to the gun safe and see if it is a rossi or tarus...to lazy right now, but Tarus makes a sweet little pump action in SS. Didn't have that option when I got my son's many a year ago.

I like the pump action .22 as you have a visual on the hammer. It also lets the kids shoot a little faster, but not in the auto range. Finally, a nice .22 in a pinch could be used defensive...Did I let him have access to the weapons, NOPE, kept them under lock-n-key in a gun safe, also had the home defense "handgun" eyebolted to the closet with a padalock through the top strap!

A bb gun with molding clay could be used in the living room. Little figures can be set up and the child can learn gun safety, proper form, at that age.

For a first gun, there is now the "small" pump action 22 by Tarus. I consider it the same as a single shot only you can tell if the gun is cocked by the hammer either being pulled back, or down.