The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 7, 2019, 02:16 PM   #1
stagpanther

Speaking of 9mm AR's...

Just got a PSA daily promotions featuring 1000 rd boxes of CCI 115 grs loaded with Speer bullets for $159 after rebate--free shipping to boot. Might not be reloading any 9mm for a LONG time.
Old March 7, 2019, 04:02 PM   #2
riffraff

Nice - looking at a few ammo deals myself, getting real low on a variety and I think I'm gonna buy in some serious bulk across the board this time (.308, 5.56, 7.62x39, 9mm, .22lr) - is gonna sting a little but will be a whole lot cheaper over the course of 6 months than making so many small orders over time.
Old March 10, 2019, 03:12 PM   #3
Jsnake711

Im waiting for their new ak9 and the new mp5 come to come out.
Old March 10, 2019, 05:19 PM   #4
TruthTellers

When there's no panic and ammo is cheap and available, there's absolutely no point to reloading 9mm unless a 9mm is the only gun you own. One would spend their time more wisely reloading ANY other caliber.
Old March 10, 2019, 05:50 PM   #5
stagpanther

Quote:
When there's no panic and ammo is cheap and available, there's absolutely no point to reloading 9mm unless a 9mm is the only gun you own. One would spend their time more wisely reloading ANY other caliber.
If you’re ever hiking in the woods and you get lost, just look up and find the brightest star in the sky and you’ll know which way space is.
I am NOT an expert--I do not have any formal experience or certification in firearms use or testing; use any information I post at your own risk!
Old March 10, 2019, 09:15 PM   #6
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Unless,of course, you want to make your own unique ammo; say a 9mm round that can go almost 2000 fps or faster ;which is possible if you want to take a walk on the wild side.
If you need something to go 2000 fps, you need something other than 9mm.
Old March 10, 2019, 09:43 PM   #7
bedlamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers
If you need something to go 2000 fps, you need something other than 9mm.
Need has nothing to do with it.
Old March 11, 2019, 12:06 AM   #8
stagpanther

^^^^^^^
Old March 11, 2019, 02:29 AM   #9
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedlamite View Post
Need has nothing to do with it.
Okay, y'all have fun now.
Old March 11, 2019, 05:32 AM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
Okay, y'all have fun now.
C'mon--don't you think it's bit silly to say something like "no reason to reload because ammo is so cheap?" There are plenty of shooters who reload their own 9mm, regardless of how cheap commercial stuff is--maybe because it's so cheap. The budget stuff is great plinking fodder and self defense against paper (usually fmj) and a source for cheap brass the way I see it, and maybe good back-up SHTF stash.
Old March 11, 2019, 06:45 AM   #11
Metal god

$159 is pretty good but I reload my 9mm . Why ? because sometimes $159 is not in the budget when the sale comes around but $160 worth of components are always on sale somewhere so when I have it I buy it . Which equals more then 1k rounds as well .

Oh and I'm in CA and we can no longer order ammo online unless it's sent to an FFL or authorized ammo dealer which will charge a transfer fee .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 11, 2019, 12:12 PM   #12
9x19

Then today, there is the Fiocchi 115 FMJ for 7.99/box and free shipping on 20+.

$159.80/1000 and no silly rebate forms to fill out.
Old March 11, 2019, 12:24 PM   #13
TruthTellers

Hey, if you're in a state or locality that bans online sales or makes you pay for a costly transfer, I've nothing against loading your own 9mm as it's saving you money (or bullcrap) and to me that's a large reason to reload. The other being better quality ammo and cheap stuff like Tula and Magtech can be hit or miss in quality and accuracy.

Generally tho, I find most 9mm factory ammo under $12 for 50 rds shoots just fine.

I just don't think loading 9mm makes much sense for people who live in free states. I assume those who own a 9mm probably own another gun in another caliber and you name the caliber (except .25 and .32 ACP as they are a PITA to reload) and you'd save more money loading your own. Take that money saved and buy inexpensive 9mm ammo.

If you enjoy reloading and love doing 500 rds every weekend of 9mm on your progressive press, great.

I'll never talk anybody here who loads their own 9mm off that ledge, it's better you keep reloading so the ammo manufacturers have more competition to keep prices low, but those who are getting into reloading should use their reloading time on other calibers.
Old March 11, 2019, 03:27 PM   #14
Metal god

Quote:
I just don't think loading 9mm makes much sense for people who live in free states.
Oh how I wish I did

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 11, 2019, 05:05 PM   #15
7.62 man

I reload just to have something to do (gun related) instead of burning up ammo at the range.
Besides last summer I picked up a bulk buy on 9mm reloading bullets. I found a buy at about $62 per 1k. I bought 2K that should keep me in reloading for a while. LOL
Old March 12, 2019, 04:22 PM   #16
stagpanther

Feeling that special tingling on my backside--the week after I ordered PSA announces the same ammo has dropped in price by $10.00
Old March 13, 2019, 11:41 AM   #17
9x19

So... is that enough to get you to order again?

If they lower the price on the Fiocchi again, I'll order another 1000.

It makes great Christmas gifts.
Old March 13, 2019, 12:03 PM   #18
stagpanther

Quote:
So... is that enough to get you to order again?

If they lower the price on the Fiocchi again, I'll order another 1000.

It makes great Christmas gifts.
No, probably not. 115 gr is great for plinking and handgun casual practice--but for "get serious" 9mm carbine use a bare minimum is NATO grade 124 gr higher velocity ammo--which is why I'll never abandon reloading for it no matter how cheap it gets.
Old March 13, 2019, 01:00 PM   #19
T. O'Heir

"...you need something other than 9mm..." Yep. No 9mm load with any bullet goes anywhere near 2,000 FPS.
"...Might not be reloading any 9mm..." You really need to try a box before buying any ammo in bulk. You have no idea if that ammo will shoot well enough to bother with. Plus which bullet matters. And reloading isn't about saving money. It's about using the best possible ammo that's tailored for your firearm.
NATO spec bullet weight is 108 grains to 128 grains.
Old March 14, 2019, 12:52 AM   #20
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
"...you need something other than 9mm..." Yep. No 9mm load with any bullet goes anywhere near 2,000 FPS.
"...Might not be reloading any 9mm..." You really need to try a box before buying any ammo in bulk. You have no idea if that ammo will shoot well enough to bother with. Plus which bullet matters. And reloading isn't about saving money. It's about using the best possible ammo that's tailored for your firearm.
NATO spec bullet weight is 108 grains to 128 grains.
That's true, but when there are so many options for 9mm out there, you're bound to find one that shoots well from your individual guns and it won't cost a terrible lot either. Now, if you're shooting for competitions that changes things and I would say if a handload is what shoots best for you, do that.

For the average 9mm gun owner, factory ammo will do them just fine.
Old March 14, 2019, 03:20 AM   #21
stagpanther

Better tell these guys, they didn't get that memo; 2000 fps. Using a strong enough case, you can go past even +p when using an AR 9mm barrel. I'm not advocating it, but it can be done using the right components.

Last edited by stagpanther; March 14, 2019 at 03:31 AM.
Old March 14, 2019, 07:56 AM   #22
wild cat mccane

1300 fps is the hottest I've seen factory in both 115 or 124gr. (fiocchi and Vista's CCI loads)

1500fps is pretty hot the boutique loads in 357 (Underwood/Buffalo Bore)...

You might be jesting, but I'll keep my fingers and recognize manufactures of firearms are aware 1300fps is considered about it with some degree of safety variation--but not 2Kfps.
Old March 14, 2019, 10:48 AM   #23
Metal god

Quote:
The 50 Grain Lead-Free Fragmenting Hollow Point bullet travels at 2000 feet per second, resulting in 12 inches of ballistic gel penetration and a permanent wound cavity greater than 3.5 inches in diameter.
I kinda figured when I heard 2000fps from a 9mm it had to be a bullet that weighed less then 90gr .

Old March 14, 2019, 12:39 PM   #24
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god View Post
I kinda figured when I heard 2000fps from a 9mm it had to be a bullet that weighed less then 90gr .
Same, probably the copper/polymer bullets.

I can't imagine that load would be able to hit the broad side of a barn.
Old March 14, 2019, 01:54 PM   #25
stagpanther

60 gr composite interceptor loaded to shell shock binary case. Being a composite bullet, my labradar has a very difficult time acquiring the bullet--think fast stealth object unless I put the muzzle in exactly the right spot. The numbers agree, however, with QL projections (these are different powder weight loads).

Shot ID V0 V25 V50 V75 V100 V200 Ke0 Ke25 Ke50 Ke75 Ke100 Ke200 PF25 Proj. Weight Date Time
1 2019 0 0 0 0 0 543 0 0 0 0 0 0 60 03-14-2019 01:45:35
2 2205 0 0 0 0 0 647 0 0 0 0 0 0 60 03-14-2019 01:59:20
4 2314 0 0 0 0 0 713 0 0 0 0 0 0 60 03-14-2019 01:48:46

Using just a simple reddot @100 yds this will easily put your shots in the danger zone.
I've pushed lehigh xtreme defense 90 gr bullets to around 2000 fps. Very accurate (for a pistol bullet shot to 100 yds)--not something a living thing would want to get in front of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1372.JPG (72.8 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; March 14, 2019 at 02:49 PM.