The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 16, 2006, 02:15 PM   #1
willsnipe

Mini-Mauser barrel threads?

Have any of you folks barreled a Charles Daly Mini-Mauser? I'm thinking about one, but the only information I've come across says the threads are 22mm-1.5 which might be a real challenge on my lathe. Said information is from a 1989 magazine article, so anything could have changed since. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 16, 2006, 03:10 PM   #2
Clemson

22x1.5 is correct. Metric threads.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old January 17, 2006, 07:17 PM   #3
Harry Bonar

mini-mauser threads

Dear Shooter:
You should have gotten several gears with your lathe so you could cut the proper thread.
But, all is not lost - Ha! Consult the "feed chart" on your lathe for the amount of advance it would be that would give you 22 TPI, set it for that and you'll probably be O.K.

Now, I take it that it would be 22 TPI with a thread angle or pitch
of 1.5?? Correct, I hope!
Now 22TPI would be a tread (one turn) of .0455 ten-thosands, or rounded off to.046 tip to tip of threads (Hope I'm doing this right!)
So, if you find in your tables a gear setting for .045 it will turn out to be 22TPI. (I think the best I can help you.)
The way to test this is to chuck your removed bbl in your lathe and engage the thread lever with the tool almost touching the bbl. threads and check!
You can grind your tool for the 1.5 piych to fit your bbl threads and take a test piece of steel turned down to the major dia.' and run a test thread and see if it fits your action!
Hope this helps. If you're getting a Douglas bbl, I'm certainn they'll turn this for you. Harry B.
Old January 17, 2006, 07:20 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

mini-mauser threads

Dear Shooter:
You should have gotten several gears with your lathe so you could cut the proper thread.
But, all is not lost - Ha! Consult the "feed chart" on your lathe for the amount of advance it would be that would give you 22 TPI, set it for that and you'll probably be O.K.

Now, I take it that it would be 22 TPI with a thread angle or pitch
of 1.5?? Correct, I hope!
Now 22TPI would be a thread (one turn) of .0455 ten-thosands, or rounded off to.046 tip to tip of threads (Hope I'm doing this right!)
So, if you find in your tables a gear setting for .045 it will turn out to be 22TPI. (I think the best I can help you.)
The way to test this is to chuck your removed bbl in your lathe and engage the thread lever with the tool almost touching the bbl. threads and check!
You can grind your tool for the 1.5 pitch to fit your bbl threads and take a test piece of steel turned down to the major dia.' and run a test thread and see if it fits your action!
Hope this helps. If you're getting a Douglas bbl, I'm certainn they'll turn this for you. Harry B.
Old January 19, 2006, 04:11 PM   #5
willsnipe

Thanks to all for your help. Mine is an old lathe, purchased used, short a lot of the extras that undoubtedly came with it. Can you tell me how to get hold of Douglas? That might be the answer.
Old January 19, 2006, 04:29 PM   #6
Clemson

http://www.benchrest.com/douglas/
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old January 20, 2006, 09:46 PM   #7
Lazy D

Metric threads?

On metric threads of 22X1.5 the "22" is 22 mm in diameter and the "1.5" is number of threads per/mm. This is like SAE measurements "1/2 X 28" 1/2 inch diameter X 28 threds per inch. This is my understanding of metric thread cifering Not sure if they are still a 60 degree pitch. I would check first. Good luck
Old January 21, 2006, 12:01 AM   #8
Dave Haven

Quote:
...and the "1.5" is number of threads per/mm.
Actually, it's the number of mm/thread. They are a 60° V.