The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 12, 2019, 08:23 PM   #1
Scottcc

A Browning Xbolt 270Win

I traded a Henry big boy 44 to get it. It was used with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14×40.mm with Booneand Crockett reticle. Is far as could tell it was barely ever fired. I shot 13 rounds for a quick range trip. The middle targets were all at 50 yards, the right target at 100, and the left target was my last 3 at 100. Which were pretty bad, I was starting to fatigue.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk
Old August 13, 2019, 02:07 PM   #2
Pathfinder45

That rifle will probably shoot a lot better than that. If everything is tight and right with the rifle, then the problem is most likely the shooter. As you described it, I am lead to assume that the rifle and scope came together, already mounted. If that's the case, remove the scope, and check all the mounting screws for tightness. If even one screw is less than tight, pull them all, de-grease all the holes and screws and remount everything using Non permanent loctite thread cement. Re-position the scope so that it's optimal for you. The 270 Winchester is a great cartridge. It has about the same power and recoil as the 30-'06, or a little less, depending on the ammo you use. So, yeah, it kicks some....enough that you could be flinching a bit...(Not me! I never flinch! Yeah, right....)
What I like about your rifle: It has a Walnut stock; it's got a Leupold scope; it's a 270 Winchester. I think you will like it too, once you get settled in together with it.
Old August 13, 2019, 02:31 PM   #3
NHSHOOTER

I have to agree with Pathfinder45 since I too have a Browning xbolt in 7-08 and it is a tack driver, not unusual to put 3 in the same ragged hole at 100 yds..Make sure everything is tight and true, relax on some sandbags and enjoy!!!
Old August 13, 2019, 05:14 PM   #4
Scottcc

Yep, I agree too

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk
Old August 13, 2019, 05:56 PM   #5
reynolds357

In addition to above suggestions:
1. Thoroughly clean the barrel. Get all the copper out.
2. Try different ammo.
Old August 14, 2019, 11:45 PM   #6
Scottcc

It's been a while since I shot a scoped rifle. I have a spare scope and a 10/22. I think I'll attach them and get some good practice to help with my marksmanship.
Old August 16, 2019, 04:22 PM   #7
jackstrawIII

My X Bolt Stainless Stalker in 7mm08 is phenomenally accurate. Love the gun.
Old August 18, 2019, 04:27 PM   #8
Scottcc

I bought a bipod for it and some Hornady 140gr SST ammo. I was able to register the scope on the Leupold website, and I also ordered the free custom elevation turent which was free.
Old August 19, 2019, 07:43 AM   #9
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottcc View Post
I bought a bipod for it and some Hornady 140gr SST ammo. I was able to register the scope on the Leupold website, and I also ordered the free custom elevation turent which was free.
I would second the motion to try various ammo. I find that Hornady factory SST ammo seems to sit mostly at either end of the spectrum. Either your gun will be more accurate with it than with anything else, or you won't be able to group to save your life.

My experience is (all groups at 100 yds for pre-season scope check_:

Ruger M77 .280Rem - 0.637"
Ruger M77 Stainless .308 - 0.526"
Remington Model 7 6mm Rem - 3.122" Was best we got of 5 groups before we switched ammo
Ruger American 7mm-08 - Never got less than 5" groups, and this is out of a rifle that shoots Winchester Ballistic Silvertips inside 0.75" consistently.

I am fully aware that there are other variables involved. But I trust factory ammo, especially Hornady, to be very consistent. Especially the .280 has consumed numerous boxes of the stuff, and it has never missed a beat. The 7mm-08 went through a total of 3 boxes and 2 lot numbers to confirm the conclusion that it simply wasn't right for that gun.

Of course, YMMV, and sorry for the long-winded dissertation based on nothing more than my mean experience.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old August 22, 2019, 12:14 PM   #10
Bart B.

Don't forget these facts. Our marksmanship skills effect the group sizes our stuff shoots. And the more shots groups have, the better they represent how well the system performs.