The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 16, 2019, 07:35 AM   #1
shurshot

New S&W 27-9 Classic owners?

I'm looking for feedback on the Classic (keyhole), version of the model 27, accuracy (with the 4" barrel), quality, issues, etc., positive and or negative. I may pull the trigger and get one soon. Looking for a shooter and woods loafing gun, not a safe queen or collectors item, hence my decision to get a new one and not an original. I don't want to be afraid of scratching it or wearing off the bluing, or shooting lots of hot .357 magnums out of it. I had several model 28's in years past and foolishly sold / traded them off.

Last edited by shurshot; July 16, 2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old July 16, 2019, 08:27 AM   #2
stinkeypete

I’m interested also. I am afraid I know the answer- keep an eye out for an old one with lots of holster wear but sound mechanicals.

I bought the Ruger LCRX 3” and haven’t found a load that gives me the 25 yard accuracy I crave. Yet. Like you, a “Woods loafing pistol” is exactly my speed.
Old July 16, 2019, 08:43 AM   #3
shurshot

I recently wrote to S&W, requesting that they make me a custom 3.5" model 27 without the lock, and I offered to pay extra, whatever the charge. They politely declined. I really love the look of the 3.5" bbl, but I'll have to settle for a 4" as I want a new one.

Last edited by shurshot; July 16, 2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old July 16, 2019, 11:11 AM   #4
NoSecondBest

I owned a SW 27 back around thirty+ years ago and it shot pretty good. However, I sent it out to Bill Davis and had a lot of work done to it to make it shoot even better. I ended up with one of Bill's outstanding revolvers, and it really shot well. Here's the rub: I eventually ended up owning three L frame SW revolvers in .357mag (two 686's and one 586). They all shot about 98% as accurate and were a LOT nicer to carry around and shoot. I ended up selling the 27 to a friend who wanted a deer hunting handgun. Today, knowing what I know now, I'd opt for the 686 ahead of the 27 without giving it a second thought. I personally think most guys are hung up on the nostalgia of the 27, not what it can do. The L frame is just a better all around gun. After Davis got done with the 27, it would put ten shots in 1" at fifty yards. The L frames will do around 1.5" and the 586 will probably match the 27 on a good day.
Old July 16, 2019, 04:28 PM   #5
shurshot

I appreciate the advice. I just bought an older 586, and will admit it is a lighter revolver, very handy and accurate. However, I am not concerned about a few extra ounces, I often carry a 4" 29-10 .44 concealed. Nostalgia is indeed why I am in the market for a 27. I made myself a promise 30 some odd years ago that I would own a 27 someday, after firing a former Deputy Sheriff's 6" 27 and falling in love with it. No, he wouldn't sell it, despite my numerous attempts. I owned several 28's over the years, so I am familiar with the weight. I find it comforting. I purchased my favorite 28 off another retired Sheriff's Deputy around 1989, for $125. NEVER SHOULD HAVE SOLD IT! I hunted with it, a hefty 4" model, covered allot of miles wearing that big old shooting iron. One of my most memorable shots, was with that gun. Deer hunting with Dad up in western Maine, on the way out of the woods, without any luck around noon, we were accosted by an angry red squirrel on a pine tree about 35 yards away. He climbed out on a dead branch and chattered at us. My father had been chastising me all morning about wearing the 28 Highway Patrolman, considering it dead weight as I had a rifle as my primary weapon. And, as he had said, handguns were not that accurate anyhow. He dared me to shoot the squirrel, who was perched on a dead branch the size of a mans arm. I, still in my early 20's, had been bragging to my dad how accurate the revolver was, but in truth I had yet to fire it. I only brought it along on a whim, finding an old, used Hunter holster at a local gunshop for $3 that it fit into. Now called out by my elder, I drew the S&W, carefully aiming with both hands, Dirty Harry style and squeezing the trigger. I could barely even see the squirrel! BOOM!!! Gun exploded in recoil under the force of a 125 grain Federal Magnum, Squirrel, wood and bark flew up in the air, fell to the ground and then the squirrel ran off. I had hit just a tad low, striking the branch under the tree rat, which now had a missing chunk of wood and was vibrating under the impact. Dad looked at me silently, impressed. I was shocked I even came close, much less THAT close, to hitting the pesky squirrel!! Playing it off, ears ringing, I quickly explained to Dad that the gun preferred 158's, the 125's shot low and I simply forgot to compensate. He just shook his head. I never let on it was a lucky shot. When I traded the gun off a few years later, I justified it in my head, knowing I would eventually upgrade to an ACTUAL Model 27 with better bluing, checkering, etc. I grew up reading Skeeter Skelton each month, so that only reinforced my reverence for the big, classy .357 Magnum.
So yes, Nostalgia is a huge factor in my wanting a new 27. Now in my 50's, I don't intend to wait any longer.

Last edited by shurshot; July 16, 2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old July 16, 2019, 07:08 PM   #6
rodfac

The 50th Anniversary M27 with a 5" bbl. comes up on Gunbroker from time to time, and can be had for reasonable money if you don't have a need for the wooden case and can live with a used gun. I bought one several years ago and found the 5" bbl. was to my liking...easy to pack and didn't stick me in the short ribs while seated on any modern conveyance. I too was a fan of Skeeter's writings and got the fever for a 5 incher M27 from one of his articles.

I also have a M66 and M19, both dash 2 variations and with 4" bbl's. All three exhibit the same accuracy in my hands and with good loads...~2" or a bit better for six shots, SA, at 25 yds over open sights and from a rest.

I will say that the K-frames are a bit easier to carry in a belt holster than the N-framed M27, less bulky amidships donchaknow, and a good bit lighter. All three guns are also indistinguishable in their DA mode. Same for the SA trigger pulls. Smooth is the operative word. Slow fire DA groups are well under 3" at 25 yds from a rest, tho impact points are 2" lower.

While I understand your reasons for wanting a M27, given the choice, I'd pick a M66 with a well broken-in trigger. The weight issue alone, for serious all-day carry would make the call an easy one and the SS construction makes a rust free difference in the back country. In my hands, the M66/19 with their partially lugged bbl's. balance the same as my 5" bbl'd M27.

Just checked the weights on line. All of the following are unloaded guns.
S&W M586 41.3 oz.
S&W M27 42.1 oz.
My M66-2 with Pachmeyer grips 35.3 oz

Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; July 16, 2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old July 16, 2019, 09:00 PM   #7
shurshot

I wish S&W offered both 3.5" and 5" barrels on the 27. Probably just as well they don't, as I'll end up getting a 4" model. If I had to make a choice between the 3.5" and 5", I might not be able to make up my mind.
Old July 17, 2019, 08:43 AM   #8
hammie

@rodfac: Skeeter Skelton was my favorite writer and storyteller. It seems like fewer and fewer people remember him. I met him at an NRA convention decades ago and briefly chatted with him - nicest fellow you could ever meet. Like you and skeeter, I prefer the 5 inch barrel on revolvers. Kind of a "goldilocks" length. Not too long or not too short.

@shurshot: Get your new model 27. I recently bought two new guns of the classic series: a model 15 combat masterpiece, and a model 48 (22 WMR). This will be blasphemy to colt lovers, but the fit and finish was as good as any python I've seen. I just bought a new model 986, too. Fit and finish was perfect and so S&W seems to be turning out decent guns. (Despite the current thread about the .460 S&W with the strange rifling. Really feel bad for the guy.) I also have a 5 inch 27-2. I don't bang it around or stir the campfire with it, but I do shoot it. Life's too short to do otherwise. I have a 4 inch barreled N frame model 24 (.44 spl) and use it for your similar purposes. The 4 inch barrel is just fine and should work for you, too. So go order your 27-9.
Old July 17, 2019, 03:06 PM   #9
shurshot

Thanks Hammie. On order.
Old July 18, 2019, 06:48 AM   #10
shurshot

In case anyone is interested, this link has numerous writings by Skeeter Skelton. I hope it's ok to post it. Good stuff!
http://www.darkcanyon.net/skeeter_skelton.htm
Old July 18, 2019, 06:51 AM   #11
dogdoc

I have a 57 classic in 41 magnum and it is excellent. I have many older Smiths and it is put together better than many of them. Excellent product with all the new endurance features started in the 1990s. I think the new classics are the ultimate shooter guns with lifetime warranty. If you don't like the lock just remove it. As a side note I have read about the blue not holding up but mine is fine and use good old hoppes number 9 in the bore and chambers.
Old July 18, 2019, 07:58 AM   #12
shurshot

Dogdoc, Thanks, that's reassuring. Those 57's are sweet.
Old July 22, 2019, 06:10 AM   #13
CajunBass

I had a 27-9 a few years ago. Good revolver...shot just fine. I ended up selling it for one reason or another, but it had nothing to do with dissatisfaction with the gun. Probably saw some other bright shiny thing I couldn't live without.

I do still have a 19-9 that I bought last year. I like it so much that I sold all my "old" Model 19's and the -9 is only Model 19 I've still got. Excellent gun right out of the box.
John 3:16 (NKJV)