The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 16, 2008, 08:26 AM   #1
Homerboy

Rechargeable or Surefire Lights?

I have a Streamlight PolyStinger and a Maglite rechargeable. Both really light up the night. I live in a rural area, and want something brighter for my cars then the 4 D cell maglites I keep in them. Surefire's get great ratings, but they use those 123A batteries, and a set only runs the light one hour. The batteries aren't cheap, eiether. My stinger uses a NiCd battery stick that is supposedly chargeable 1000 times. Both my lights also come with a car charger, so I can charge them on the go. I guess I could keep a set of spare 123A batteries in the car as well, but would the constant exposure to cold temps in the winter and hot in the summer degrade the batteries? I could pick up another polystinger for 80 bucks, while the Surefire G3 is $60, but then I gotta get batteries. Also, the specs on my polystinger indicate it is brighter then a Surefire G3.

What do you guys think?
Old November 16, 2008, 09:45 AM   #2
skydiver3346

Surefire is hard to beat:

Very bright and reliable. Yes, the regular bulb only last about an hour but you can get the LED model (which will still be very bright), but lasts a lot longer.
Old November 16, 2008, 09:52 AM   #3
Homerboy

I have a few LED type lights, and I am not impressed by the soft blueish light they give out
Old November 16, 2008, 10:15 AM   #4
Voyager AL

I have recently bought a focusable LED light that is very impressive. Runs on 3 AAA batteries, and lasts about 6 hours. I work maintenance, and the zoom feature is a great thing to have when tracing conduit in the ceilings of our factory. Bought from a member here. Great guy, great product.
http://billdeshivs.com/bd1/index.php Called the DeLight

heres a better link.http://billdeshivs.com/bd1/modules.p...howpage&pid=18
Old November 16, 2008, 11:34 AM   #5
itman

I think you will find the G3 or 6P are far better then what you have now. Go to Cables or Gander Mt. and take a try them out.

I know that battery’s are a little $$ but if you buy them online from Surefire you can get 12 for $21. That's not bad in my book. Also you can get rechargeable batteries for the surefire.
Old November 16, 2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Shane Tuttle
Staff

My vote is for the Stinger.

I have the aluminum one that I use at work instead of the poly, but they're basically the same thing. I have the DC charger that I keep in my car and haven't seen a problem keeping extra battery packs in the dead of Iowa winters. It's the heat that causes shortened battery life. They don't get too awful hot inside my console. Keep them out of the sun and you'll be fine.

The drawback to the Stinger is that it has those Zenon bulbs. Mine usually lasts for a couple of years, but it seems to get a little dimmer over time. At $6 a pop they're not cheap.

It sounds like I just explained more reasons why not to get it, but my contention is that you don't need to buy batteries over and over again. In the long run, you'll spend a lot more overall. Also, I've used Streamlight's warranty service over the course of 12 years of owning my Stinger. They're the reason why I still have the same flashlight for this long if that means anything.

As far as which is the brightest? I don't know much about the Surefire G3 model. But, how bright do you really need it? Mine is about as bright as I want it for my line of work. Any brighter and it would be too much. If brightness isn't an addiction, I'd say both will serve you well without disappointment.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 16, 2008, 03:01 PM   #7
black bear 84

Homerboy,
I think you should give the Fenix TK-11 a try.
It uses two 123 batteries but also run with a rechargeable Lithium Ion 18650.
This is the way to go as you will not spend a dime in those pesky 123's batteries in this light.

The TK-11 is 225 lumens for 1.5 hours or by turning the bezel 12 hours of 60 lumens.
So you have a tactical light and a flashlight.

The beam will be good to indentify a dog at 88 yards, due to the small reflector don't expect the beam to reach farther (it is advertised for 200 meters???).

If you need more reach than that, try the rechargeables Ultra Stinger or the Bear Cub.

Or if you want to put the sun inside a light, buy the Borealis 1050 lumes

Cheers
Black Bear
e-mail [email protected]
Old November 19, 2008, 07:58 PM   #8
Bill DeShivs

My DeLight is $43.00 shipped. Brighter than Surefires, uses AAA batteries, smaller than Surefires, and has great battery life.
You can buy lithium AAA batteries if you are concerned about power loss in cold weather.
Old November 19, 2008, 08:04 PM   #9
rantingredneck

You can take a basic surefire G2 and drop in one of wolfammoman's Cree R2 units and hit 290 lumens for 8 hours. They are BLINDING at night and throw a very long focused beam.
Old November 21, 2008, 09:34 PM   #10
sylathnie

This runs on rechargeables but only for about 16 mins...

It would certainly light up a rural area well.

On a more realistic side my vote is for the Fenix.
Old November 21, 2008, 11:39 PM   #11
sholling

I recommend the Fenix TK11 for shear brightness and construction for the dollar. But if you're willing to invest about $30-40 more the rechargeable Pelican 7060 has a better throw (range). The car charger is about $20. Read the Amazon reviews.
Old November 22, 2008, 07:57 AM   #12
Voyager AL

Bill, it seems that the old saying is true. You CAN lead a horse to water, but ya CANT MAKE him drink!
Old November 22, 2008, 11:13 AM   #13
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Bill, it seems that the old saying is true. You CAN lead a horse to water, but ya CANT MAKE him drink!
I can understand your point, but I don't like to drink water from China....

Of course, I'm not certain where all the major brands are made if they don't brag about being made here to begin with....

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 22, 2008, 11:24 AM   #14
sholling

Quote:
I can understand your point, but I don't like to drink water from China....
Unfortunately LED technology is yet another area that the US has seeded technological superiority to China. All of the best emitters are coming from over there. But I guess you could have your Chinese designed and manufactured LED and controller packaged in a made in a USA aluminum tube. Of course there is no way of knowing if the assemblers are US citizens.
Old November 22, 2008, 01:02 PM   #15
QBall45

Take a look at the stream light Strion. It's not cheap but it has worked well for me. Bought it about a yeear and a half ago. Runs 75 min on a full charge, takes 90 min to recharge in the house or in the car. It will light up my country back yard like daylight. I never leave home without it.
Old November 23, 2008, 05:31 PM   #16
Bill DeShivs

Almost all of the high end lights use parts from, or are made in, China.
The only reason I sell these lights is because they are the best value for the brightest little lights you can find. They are not "tacticool." They are just extremely bright, inexpensive lights that will work well for 95+% of users. Everyone that has one tells me they don't use their Surefires anymore, but if you are a SEAL tem member-keep the Surefire.
Old November 24, 2008, 02:09 AM   #17
Bill DeShivs

Tell ya what-how about if I charge members here $85.00 for them. Then they MUST be good!
Old November 24, 2008, 06:48 PM   #18
Voyager AL

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=291907
Regarding the CREE bulb that the DeLight has in it. Sells for 18.95, plus shipping. Seems everyone loves them, must be because they are BRIGHT. Why not buy one that uses common, cheap AAA batteries? Everyone needs a flashlight, right? Keep your expensive one where your light-snob friends will see ya own a NAME BRAND one, and keep one of Bill's at home, or at work, in your pocket.
Old December 1, 2008, 10:30 PM   #19
Apache6

I have 3 Surefires, one of which is a 6P LED. I have also changed all my Mag-Lites over to LED bulbs (the Mag-Lite brand, not Nite-Ize), and they are very nice, especially when tracking wounded game at night, keeping the 6P in my pocket for a back-up. You might want to consider that option.