The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 10, 2017, 12:53 PM   #1
joeanybody

45 acp case length

I had been having troubles with jamming and sticking in my ruger when at the range. At first i thought it was the type of bullet and oal because the manual had it set right at the low. However,upon closer examination ive also noticed that none of my brass is the same length.
Ive always gone by the old timers thoughts of never trimming pistol brass so i had never even thought to measure them. My 10th hornady manual has the case length set at 0.892. My 49th lyman has it set at 0.888. My lee manual has a diagram and the sierra manual says 0.892.
I hate it when they can't decide. Now for the nitty gritty. My largest brass is 0.899 in length, my shortest brass is 0.880 in length.

1. Is there a safety concern with using brass so short or long? Ie case capacity loss
2. Which manual should i go by?
3. what would the cutoff length be for culling brass?
Old December 10, 2017, 01:31 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

SAAMI Max case length is .898 -.010. That's the .898 minus 10 thou for the minimum case length of .888". The Trim-to is .893". Cases that are between .898" and .888" are ok.
Highly unlikely you'll ever have to trim .45 ACP regularly. They usually crack before they stretch. And trimming just 1 thou is nearly impossible.
1. Case capacity has nothing to do with it. The .880" is 8 thou too much headspace as the .45 headspaces on the case mouth.
2. Partial to the Lyman book myself. Only Hornady and Sierra know where that .892" comes from. Lee does no testing of any kind themselves. They use the powder maker's data for the charges and SAAMI for pictures. http://www.saami.org/specifications_...tion/index.cfm
3. Easiest to use the Max OAL and the Trim-to. However, pistol cases rarely need trimming.
Old December 10, 2017, 06:24 PM   #3
Gary Wells

As previously stated you have other issues than cartridge case length,
As a general rule do not trin straight walled cases. They almost always
shorten with times fired.
Old December 10, 2017, 07:23 PM   #4
Metal god

.898 is the max case length allowed by SAAMI so anything below .898 to about -.010 should be fine but id recommend at least a few thousandths below .898 at minimum .

Page 65
http://saami.org/specifications_and_...dR.pdf#page=10

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 10, 2017, 09:39 PM   #5
snakeye

Not sure what you mean by jamming are you saying the cases will not extract or are the rounds jamming when when the cycling. But.....
Have you ever performed a plunk test to determine the max COL for that Ruger using that bullet.

Last edited by snakeye; December 10, 2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old December 10, 2017, 09:50 PM   #6
Charlie98

I always have a box of factory with me... if I start to have problems it can help troubleshoot it.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old December 10, 2017, 10:03 PM   #7
Nathan

Or used a case gage to see if loaded rounds fit?
Old December 10, 2017, 10:30 PM   #8
std7mag

Wow... Never trimmed my 45 ACP cases.
Course i never measured them either...
Old December 10, 2017, 11:54 PM   #9
joeanybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
Not sure what you mean by jamming are you saying the cases will not extract or are the rounds jamming when when the cycling. But.....
Have you ever performed a plunk test to determine the max COL for that Ruger using that bullet.
Actually the jamming occurring is both. On some it doesnt extract on others it fails to feed. This is why i looked at case length. On the failure to extract it could because the bullet was too far in for the extractor to grab.
Old December 10, 2017, 11:57 PM   #10
joeanybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
Wow... Never trimmed my 45 ACP cases.
Course i never measured them either...
Yeah me either.
Old December 11, 2017, 09:38 AM   #11
higgite

Quote:
On the failure to extract it could because the bullet was too far in for the extractor to grab.
On all of the semi-autos that I’ve seen, the extractor doesn’t reach in and grab a chambered round that was auto fed. The extractor captures the rim as the bullet is fed from the magazine. I’m pretty sure your Ruger does the latter, in which case your failures to extract aren’t caused by too short of a case. Could be the case jamming into the leade and the extractor isn’t strong enough to maintain its grip to pull it out or it could be a weak extractor spring or chipped extractor claw.

Quote:
Actually the jamming occurring is both. On some it doesn't extract on others it fails to feed.
I’m still not clear on what you are calling a failure to feed. Is the round not fully chambering, like getting hung up on the feed ramp? Or is it fully chambering but the slide isn’t going into battery? If the latter, your COL could be too long for that particular bullet and the bullet is jamming in the lands. That might also explain the failures to extract.

Troubleshooting is difficult at best over the internet, especially without pics. The more detail you can provide, the better chance of getting a solution. For instance, like snakeye asked earlier, do your rounds pass the plunk test or not?
Old December 11, 2017, 12:03 PM   #12
joeanybody

Higgite, i wish i had pictures for you. I cant describe the failure to feed jam. Either the case or the bullet sticks on the top of the barrel portion. It is possible that part of the issue is magazine related and i got 2 seperate problems at the same time. However, i lean towards what has changed seeing as this particular gun has never ever jammed before. The only things that have changed are case length and bullet type.col being too long is not likely as they were loaded to minimum. I will strip the gun and look at the extractor. It could be the spring as the gun has close to 5000 rounds put through it. But again i am doubtful because of the past history. As far as the plunk test, I have never performed it. I know about it but have never done it. I have already pulled all these bullets so its a moot point now. I thank everyone for the responses. I will cull everything below .888. I dont trim pistol brass anyway. Eventually i will get to loading this one again and might learn if it waa bullet or case or col or gun. In the meantime i got new bullets on the way and l a box of factory to test the gun.ill get to the bottom of it one way or another.
Old December 11, 2017, 12:22 PM   #13
Bayou

I shoot exclusively range pick-ups with unknown histories. At that, I have never trimmed a 45 case, and likely never will.

I also shoot a Ruger. It's a SR1911. I shoot exclusively handloads. My COL is 1.23" with a .468" case mouth diameter (crimp) for 230 grain RN. This pistol runs smoothly with no hiccups in extracting or feeding.

It sounds like you're having failure to return to battery issues. In the early life of my SR1911, I was getting a few of those, about 1 in a 100, which was not acceptable. To address this, I did several things all at the same time to address the failure to return to battery issue:

1. Installed a new recoil spring - they are cheap off of shopruger.com - $2 a pop. I now change the recoil spring on a preventative basis - about every 2K rounds,

2. Used a firmer grip when shooting,

3. Used more lube - grease for what slides and oil for anything else,

4. With a Q-tip and some Semi-Chrome polish, I gently polished the feeding ramp to give the surface a smooth shine. It only takes a couple of circular motions with a Q-tip, and specifically, no Dremel tools or the like are used,

5. I settled on the COL and crimp diameter mentioned above,

6. I began using a push-through case uniforming die (Lee Bulge Buster die) to assure the range pick-up cases are consistent from one to the next especially at the rim and web area.

I did all of this at one time - about 4K rounds ago. Since then, I've not had a hiccup with the SR1911. This includes smooth functioning. That includes multiple bullet weights and configurations.

Couldn't say which step, or combination of steps, corrected the functioning. I now consider the pistol to be reliable.

There might be something in those steps which could benefit you...

Bayou
NRA Life Member
"Keep Calm and Reload"
Old December 11, 2017, 12:24 PM   #14
Metal god

Quote:
Either the case or the bullet sticks on the top of the barrel portion.
That's known as a feed jam and not likely related to case length . This is likely do to bullet profile that the gun is not liking or seating depth issues

Quote:
The only things that have changed are case length and bullet type.col being too long is not likely as they were loaded to minimum
Am I reading this right to mean this is a new bullet you've never loaded before ??? Is so even if it's the same type RN , WC , FN etc but different manufacture . Your "COAL" can be quite different from manufacture to manufacture .

Now my first question is , are you using the manufactures recommended seating depth or the general profile recommended seating depth ?

When do the rounds fail to extract ? When fired or when manually trying to unload the firearm ??

What I'd do since you've pulled all the bullets is go back and make a dummy round ( no powder or primer ) using the same brass and bullets to the exact COAL you where seating to before . Then do a plunk test in your barrel . It's really the only gauge that matters .

I'll leave it there for now until we know more .

EDIT , Forgot about the Glock bulge . If range pick up your die might not be sizing the case down enough ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 11, 2017, 12:25 PM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

Bullet type seems likely to cover the feed issue. Some shapes need shorter COL's than others. Check the bullet manufacturer's recommendation. Even with that, some guns are troublesome with anything not close to a round nose. A gunsmith can usually make them feed wider varieties of ammo if there are problems. Sometimes magazine lips need reforming, too.

Another thing to check, with extraction failures, is to be sure the bullet isn't shoved so deeply into the case that it gets below the neck region where the brass starts to get thicker. If it is, that will expand the case over allow diameter and that can cause both feed failures and failure to extract, with the extractor hopping the case rim.

For most .45 Auto brass, you can seat about 0.35" before this happens.

For .45 Auto, seating depth is with respect to a maximum length case:

Seating Depth = 0.898" + bullet length - COL

If you calculate that and the number comes out greater than about 0.35", you are probably seating too deeply.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 11, 2017, 12:46 PM   #16
joeanybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou View Post
I shoot exclusively range pick-ups with unknown histories. At that, I have never trimmed a 45 case, and likely never will.

I also shoot a Ruger. It's a SR1911. I shoot exclusively handloads. My COL is 1.23" with a .468" case mouth diameter (crimp) for 230 grain RN. This pistol runs smoothly with no hiccups in extracting or feeding.

It sounds like you're having failure to return to battery issues. In the early life of my SR1911, I was getting a few of those, about 1 in a 100, which was not acceptable. To address this, I did several things all at the same time to address the failure to return to battery issue:

1. Installed a new recoil spring - they are cheap off of shopruger.com - $2 a pop. I now change the recoil spring on a preventative basis - about every 2K rounds,

2. Used a firmer grip when shooting,

3. Used more lube - grease for what slides and oil for anything else,

4. With a Q-tip and some Semi-Chrome polish, I gently polished the feeding ramp to give the surface a smooth shine. It only takes a couple of circular motions with a Q-tip, and specifically, no Dremel tools or the like are used,

5. I settled on the COL and crimp diameter mentioned above,

6. I began using a push-through case uniforming die (Lee Bulge Buster die) to assure the range pick-up cases are consistent from one to the next especially at the rim and web area.

I did all of this at one time - about 4K rounds ago. Since then, I've not had a hiccup with the SR1911. This includes smooth functioning. That includes multiple bullet weights and configurations.

Couldn't say which step, or combination of steps, corrected the functioning. I now consider the pistol to be reliable.

There might be something in those steps which could benefit you...
Thank you for the advice. im not sure if anything in that is applicable to my problem, but i can definitely say it wont hurt and will do it. especially replacing the spring and the feed ramp polish
Old December 11, 2017, 01:10 PM   #17
joeanybody

Quote:
Am I reading this right to mean this is a new bullet you've never loaded before ???
yes. i normally shoot 230 gr RN I tried 200 SWC this time around.
Quote:
Now my first question is , are you using the manufactures recommended seating depth or the general profile recommended seating depth ?
i cant remember right off hand where i got the info from, however with a quick look on xtremebullets.com i dont think i got it from there so i would have to say it came from either the hornady, lee, or lyman manuals so it would be a general profile. I only use reputable sources for recipes. However, i understand what you are saying and need to look at that bullet a little closer.

Quote:
When do the rounds fail to extract ? When fired or when manually trying to unload the firearm ??
I Apologize. Your trying to help and I cant remember the details. However, at all times i was able just reach in and grab it with no resistance with a fingernail. I never needed a tool to remove the bullet. there were a couple of failure to fire as well. quite annoying.
Old December 11, 2017, 01:11 PM   #18
Bayou

Good luck, joe - and keep us posted on how you make out.

Bayou

Bayou
NRA Life Member
"Keep Calm and Reload"
Old December 11, 2017, 01:20 PM   #19
joeanybody

Quote:
Math now theres something i can sink my teeth into. ill measure the bullets and see if was seating too deeply.
Old December 11, 2017, 01:24 PM   #20
joeanybody

Thank You, Bayou. I will repost with results of changes. it might be a minute though. Im a busy man.
Old December 13, 2017, 12:48 PM   #21
hdbiker

All my .45 ACP brass is range pickup. when I get a bunch I run them in the tumbler for 20 minutes or st to get the grunge off of them. I'll then size them and measure them. Anything shorter than .888 goes in the scrap bucket and anything over .890 I trim.I do separate by brand. hdbiker
Old December 22, 2017, 05:16 PM   #22
joeanybody

Quote:
0.3025=0.898+0.6095-1.205 bullet wasnt seated too deeply, but i dont think the gun liked it anyway.
Old December 22, 2017, 05:29 PM   #23
joeanybody

Alright heres what i did. I dug the short ones out of the scrap container and found 2 long ones and two nominal ones.i loaded one of each with a bullet seated to 1.205 (col provided by powder manufacturer) and 1 of each to 1.230 which is the col provided by reloader magazine. Bullet manufacturer has no data onsite. I then did a plunk test on each dummy bullet and recorded pass/fail. Then i reassembled gun put one bullet at time into magazine and chambered the round noting pass/fail. Then i manually extracted again noting pass/fail.
And the results:
1. Long case passed plunk and extraction test failed load test
2. Nominal case passed all 3.
3. Short case loaded to 1.230 failed plunk test passed extraction amd load test
4. Short case loaded to 1.205 passed plunk and load test failed extraction test.

I think the problems i was having was a combination of all factors, a perfect storm if you will, with the most important being bullet shape.
Again i thank everyone for their help.