The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 20, 2017, 05:03 PM   #1
MikeGoob

So... There was a squirrel that wouldn't leave my basement

I tried everything: Traps were licked clean of peanut butter 2 times without springing. We chased it around the basement with poles to try to 'shoo' it out the doors or windows and no luck. I considered rat traps or glue traps but was not sure how to keep a squirrel from making a mess if wounded.

In the end, after 3 days we had friends bring a terrier type dog to chase it around and corner it good. And I decided to shoot it with an SR22 (my only .22)

The backdrop seemed safe, relatively soft pine 1x4 boards (bed slats) and dispatched him. My wife was concerned about ricochet in our cinderblock/cement basement. I thought there was little to no risk of that with lead HP .22 ---BUT online searching says .22 DOES ricochet more than others.

Could I have done things better? We are leaving out of town for thanksgiving and I did not want this guy having the run of the place alone...

--edit to add, the trap was a proper squirrel trap that I rented from a lawn & garden place. This squirrel just seemed to know how to lick and not trigger it...!
Old November 20, 2017, 05:10 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

.22? If there is a next time, use the #12 rat shot and don't worry about a clean kill.

Mothballs discourage little critters, from mice to skunks. If there is an exit, the aroma of camphor will make them leave.
Old November 20, 2017, 05:14 PM   #3
Grant D

I would have used rat shot in my 38 special.
Old November 20, 2017, 05:21 PM   #4

That is a great story. Novel approach with the dog. I would have never thought of that.

I would have used an air gun. Without seeing what the shot consisted of, I will have to say that I would have been very hesitant about firing a .22LR in the basement. But, it sounds like it worked and nothing was damaged and no one was hurt; so, great solution.

I remember hearing a bunch of noise in the basement when I was a kid. I went to see what was going on and my dad was shooting at a squirrel in the basement with my Daisy BB gun. It was running around on the plumbing pipes all over the ceiling. It was hillarious. He killed it and then since I was standing there laughing at him, he turned and told me to get rid of the body
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old November 20, 2017, 05:59 PM   #5
Doyle

Sounds like a really good excuse to buy a pellet gun. I killed a ton of squirrels with my Crossman when I was a kid.
Old November 20, 2017, 08:31 PM   #6
MikeGoob

Thanks for the replies---I'm surprised at people recommending shot--I would think round steel bbs bounce around and ricochet far more than expanding lead?
Old November 20, 2017, 09:06 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

In the .22, the tiny #12s are lead. Probably lead in all the "snake" loads for revolvers.
Old November 20, 2017, 09:08 PM   #8
HiBC

Those 22 rat shot would work . I wouldn't worry to much about ricochet. Wear glasses.I would not use the centerfire ones.
A CCI brand "CB Long " would be near silent and adequate. In my experience,quite accurate.There was a "wax bullet" era,of shooting wax plugs driven by a primer.CCI/Speer MIGHT still make plastic bullets/cartridge cases to be primer driven.Pretty accurate and they would roll a squirrel,I think.

But the real reason for my reply...as a school custodian I have some mousetrap experience. I'm talking the wood Victor traps with metal triggers,not the yellow plastic.

You are right.Its incredible how those boogers can lick all the peanut butter off.
It was a Caddy Shack thing.

Here is what you do.Smoosh a raisin into that little doohickey on the trigger paddle. Then put your peanut butter on. They can't lick that raisin off,and they won't leave it! Whack!!
I've had less luck with the glue traps,but they work. Done right,they are more PC than a whack trap in a 1st grade class or the teacher lounge.Those mice twitch a bit sometimes. Kids go home "Mommy,Mommy,there was a RAT in my class today and it kicked and rolled around and the teacher screamed and blood came out his nose then his tail wiggled and he died."
The Principal really did not like the phone calls.
The trick is they make a box about 2 in tall you put the glue trap in and close the lid.There are little doors in the end to let the mouse in.The drama stays in the box.
I suppose you could use a bigger box and put in 2 or 3 glue traps.
The box prevents mess.
Old November 20, 2017, 09:22 PM   #9
MikeGoob

This is the video that changed my mind about the glue traps. I didnt want the thing freaking out around my basement sticking to things...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI-n_zhBm1s
Old November 21, 2017, 07:22 AM   #10
Rob228

I had a co-worker find a mouse in a glue trap one night at work and he set it outside (this was at Camp Pendleton CA). About an hour later we found an owl with its feet glued together trying to eat the mouse. We threw a sweater over the owl and cleaned the glue off with hand sanitizer and it flew off no worse for the wear.

I actually had luck on ground squirrels in the same location with rat traps and peanut butter, but it would not fully kill them.
Old November 21, 2017, 08:45 AM   #11
peterg7

Don’t know if they still make them but the old man used to keep a box of .22Lr shot cartridges for small vermin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 21, 2017, 08:56 AM   #12
MikeGoob

I'm honestly skeptical about the 22 shotshell for anything bigger than a mouse/snake/rat ... This review shows it bouncing back and barely breaking a water jug from a yard away...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhWZxFX2g2o
Old November 21, 2017, 10:56 AM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A glue strip with a dab of peanut butter in the center works well. Heck, add a raisin.

Close-range squirrel? Try a CB cap.
Old November 21, 2017, 10:59 AM   #14
OzeanJaeger

My wife would FREAK if I shot any firearm in the house that wasn't at a two legged intruder, period, end of story.

If I lived alone I'd probably have a bullet trap in my basement!
Old November 21, 2017, 12:02 PM   #15
rodwhaincamo

I'd like to see those shot shells fired into gel to get a true understanding of what it's capable
of. Penetrating two sides of plastic and barely scratching the jug behind it doesn't sound very powerful. However he was also using a handgun. A rifle would certainly increase the velocity.

#12 shot isn't very impressive but then I suppose holes in their little head would work.

I'd also have looked for CB caps. No powder just the primer to sling the bullet. But still good for little critters like that.
Old November 21, 2017, 12:10 PM   #16
GeauxTide

Quote:
Sounds like a really good excuse to buy a pellet gun. I killed a ton of squirrels with my Crossman when I was a kid.
I bought a .20 Caliber Sheridan Blue Streak in the 80s and have dispatched lots of squirrels and chipmunks at 25-50 feet off the deck. Squirrels love green tomatoes, so I have to pop one or two and they leave them alone. It only takes one chipmunk and they move out. Since Benjamin bought Sheridan, the 22 is the only option.
Old November 21, 2017, 12:58 PM   #17
Lohman446

My dad still has some shot shells for his .44 magnum. Before I was born in one of the old farm houses there was a rat issue in the basement. He said they worked well.
Old November 21, 2017, 04:11 PM   #18
MikeGoob

Quote:
My wife would FREAK if I shot any firearm in the house that wasn't at a two legged intruder, period, end of story.

If I lived alone I'd probably have a bullet trap in my basement!
We spent a few days trying it her way before I got permission to try it my way
Old November 21, 2017, 04:56 PM   #19
peterg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGoob View Post
I'm honestly skeptical about the 22 shotshell for anything bigger than a mouse/snake/rat ... This review shows it bouncing back and barely breaking a water jug from a yard away...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhWZxFX2g2o

That must be a modern version. the one I remember had a brass crimp, don’t know shot size but it killed mice-chipmunks, maybe Red squirrels up close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 21, 2017, 05:22 PM   #20
JWT

Nothing smaller than a 12 ga. With 00buckshot.. those critters are dangerous when wounded...
Old November 21, 2017, 05:35 PM   #21
Snub357

Had them come down my chimney a few years ago, while I was away for a week. what I came home to was NOT pretty. I hate squirrels since that incident. Since then I've had to kill only one that got into the house through a basement window, and he was dispatched with an arrow.
Old November 21, 2017, 08:07 PM   #22
Pahoo

great workout

The last time I had a situation like this, I wore a heavy long sleeve shirt, leather glove and a hand dip-net. It got pretty busy but thankfully, he got tired before I did and managed to catch him and take him outside. I don't want to do that again. I have also used a small HavaHeart trap. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old November 22, 2017, 10:36 AM   #23
rodwhaincamo

I've had a squirrel try to kill us. Mean little b@stard!

The wife was driving my truck and began to freak out. Everything seemed fine to me so I asked. We were going about 50 mph and she said she was on the brakes. She let off and it picked up more speed. Idiot me wondered about neutral which just sent the RPM's up and having the transmission berate me for having done that. So I told her I'd do it again and to have her turn off the ignition pulling over to the side, but that she'd really need to be heavy footed on the brakes as we'd lose power braking. Nothing I could think of fixed it so we had a friend with a trailer take it to the mechanic. A squirrel had eaten its way through the air filter and was storing nuts inside the intake. A piece of chewed nut was stuck in there creating this situation. Luckily they cleaned that all out for free but then we also had to replace the rotors/pads and air filter. I also cut a piece of chicken wire and stuffed it down into the fender so it couldn't make its way back in. Been thinking about a pellet gun since as I see them mocking me often enough.
Old November 22, 2017, 11:29 AM   #24
Chainsaw.

How could you miss such a glaringly obvious choice? The answer, the US model M2 flame thrower, with a maximum range of 40 meters you could have taken care of rhe squirrel, dobe a lovely remodel and had a side dish for thanks giving!
Old November 22, 2017, 12:12 PM   #25
TXAZ

I built a small caliber minature machine gun to deal with rodents

This was fun, you can build your own machine gun to deal with rodents too.

I started with 2" PVC pipe as a safety housing / protective shroud.
I decided on very high speed .11 caliber (e-16) projectile with coaxial barrels pointing at each other to give them a 1-2 punch of billions of bullets when they walked between into the line of fire.

The machine gun was set to fire approximately a billion-billion bullets when the rat, mouse or squirrel walked into the line of fire.

Here's the machine gun from the outside:

Here's the coaxial (almost) aligned barrels inside the protective shroud:

Yep, it works. Smoked rodent for Thanksgiving.
Tasty.
Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

(P.S. Blueprints available, please don't tell the ATF I built a ultrafast coaxial machinegun)

Cave illos in guns et backhoes