The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 15, 2017, 11:00 PM   #1
dakota.potts

A video of my experience at a high tech digital shooting range

Hopefully a little promotion of my video content is OK as I try to get back into sharing regularly.

I recently moved to Broward County, Florida for work. It is a beautiful location but there are relatively few outdoor shooting ranges out here (definitely without a costly membership) and I have had to resort to shooting indoors in a lot of cases. It has not been all bad, however, as I have had the opportunity to try a very cool shooting range located not far from Ft. Lauderdale called Nexus.

They are a very cool retail experience and indoor shooting range that prioritizes customer experience. It feels right in place with many of the other tourist and luxury spots on the southeast coast of Florida, modern in appearance and very friendly in experience.

Probably the coolest part, though, is their digital range. It is like any other indoor range, except the backstop has a screen projected on it. Once in the range, you can use the screen to call up a number of targets and even play games. It is reactive to your hits, both causing effects in the game and recording the location of missed shots. One of the cooler simple screens contains 3 moving bullseyes that strafe back and forth across a hall. Using the controller, you can set the simulated distance between 7 and 25 yards which appears to move the targets further or closer. You can also play games including the one I showed in my video, a game where you must find and shoot 10 apples out of a tree, or a game where zombies shamble towards you and must be killed.

The website can be found here. For those who would like to see more, here is my video.

It is very cool where technology is bringing us, and I believe we will start to see more of these shooting experiences in the future.
Old November 16, 2017, 05:27 PM   #2
jmhyer

Very cool!

Thanks for sharing.
Old November 16, 2017, 05:35 PM   #3
DaleA

That's a very neat place. Thanks for the video.
Old November 17, 2017, 10:10 AM   #4
45Gunner

My Gun Club shoots here about 4 times per year. I take about 30 to 40 preloaded magazines with me (8 rounds for the .45's and 17 rounds for the Glock) and I still find myself reloading during the one hour. Lots of fun but lots of ammo. The virtual range helps develop speed, accuracy and develops a good cadence for moving target scenarios.
NRA Life Member
Old November 17, 2017, 07:15 PM   #5
peterg7

What’s the distance to target and is it fixed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 17, 2017, 09:20 PM   #6
SonOfScubaDiver

Cool!
Old November 18, 2017, 09:38 AM   #7
stephen426

You will definitely burn through lots of ammo, especially on the zombie shoots and the asteroid shoots. Glad you had fun! Cool range and cool concept, but calibration was off on a few of the lanes. If that happens, make sure you let them know to switch you to another lane.
Old November 18, 2017, 01:50 PM   #8
Metal god

Quote:
What’s the distance to target and is it fixed?
I watched a few other videos about that range . It looks like the back stop is about 10yds but because the targets are digital it appears you can simulate just about any distance just by making the targets smaller in the 3D screen .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 18, 2017, 05:43 PM   #9
dakota.potts

I don't know the distance to target but I'd guess between 12 to 15 yards. The target is actually the back stop and distance is changed by simulating smaller targets
Old November 19, 2017, 02:24 PM   #10
ranchito457

Just looked it up it says its a 21 foot range with simulated distances up to 100 feet..Very nice wish someone would open one up in Illinois like that..
Old November 19, 2017, 04:22 PM   #11
peterg7

That is very cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 19, 2017, 09:58 PM   #12
dakota.potts

I have talked to the owner and the range represented a very considerable investment. The mind behind it was a medical doctor and spent millions of dollars solely in developing a high tech filtration system for the indoor range. They are looking at expanding but will likely be towards the Orlando area. Look to see more of these types of ranges in high value tourist and vacation areas before they become available elsewhere. I have heard of a similar one in Germany though
Old November 20, 2017, 12:03 PM   #13
flashhole

I guess I'm the odd man out. I thought it was lame as he!!.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old November 20, 2017, 01:42 PM   #14
Metal god

Quote:
I guess I'm the odd man out. I thought it was lame as he!!.
Oh man not me , the potential for this type of range is endless . All the different training possibilities are only limited to your imagination and pocket book . If I had the money I'd invest in one tomorrow .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 23, 2017, 02:59 AM   #15
Machineguntony

The local guntry club in my city was going to have some of those video target lanes, but they backed out. I would love something like the Nexus range. I’d spend countless hours there.

At a range like that, this would be awesome: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...azine-loader#/

Loading mags is the worst part of the range experience, IMO.

I notice their FAQ says no full auto in the video range. Only allowed in the paper range. Boo!
Old November 30, 2017, 07:10 PM   #16
dakota.potts

I don't know if it's related, but they also had big signs that only FMJ ammo may be shot on the digital range. Shooters who use hollow points (and maybe wad cutters, I don't remember) were subject to repair charges of up to $250. Seems counter intuitive to me but I'm sure they have their reasons.
Old November 30, 2017, 07:53 PM   #17
FITASC

Might want to change your location in your profile

Broward County - you shooting at Markham Park?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 2, 2017, 10:33 PM   #18
dakota.potts

I have not yet shot at Markham Park but I plan to in the coming year. I was very behind on finances with moving here this October and Christmas coming up so I haven't yet. But I plan to get into IDPA, USPSA, and Steel challenge heavily this year and Markham Park will definitely be in the rotation.
Old December 3, 2017, 01:16 AM   #19
stephen426

Broward has quite a few ranges. American Indoor is off of Pembroke Rd. and I-95. Big Al's is on Hallandale Beach Blvd. west of I-95. There is also a Shoot Straight on 441 north of I-595. Of course you also have Nexus and Markam Park which are great ranges. Dade doesn't have too many ranges. There is Ace's in Doral and Stonehart near the Tamiami Airport. Trail Glades is our outdoor range. There is also one in Homestead, but I haven't been there yet.

By the way, when are we going to organize some shoots so we can meet in person instead of hiding behind keyboards?
Old December 3, 2017, 06:43 PM   #20
dakota.potts

I have shot a couple times at ranges near Okeechobee (Hollywood Tactical and Okeechobee shooting sports) from when I lived out in Moore Haven, but I've only been to the Broward area for just over 2 months now. Hopefully I'll be signing up at one of the outdoor rifle ranges with some distance (500 yards or more) if all goes well next year and I'm able to get a bolt action rifle to get back into PRS

I am, of course, down for pretty much any weekend shoot and I under-estimated the number of shooters on this forum who are from the area
Old December 4, 2017, 03:41 AM   #21
Rob228

Wasn't there a setup like that in one of the Beverly Hills Cop movies?

Looks like a great time.
Old December 4, 2017, 11:10 AM   #22
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota.potts
I have shot a couple times at ranges near Okeechobee (Hollywood Tactical and Okeechobee shooting sports) from when I lived out in Moore Haven, but I've only been to the Broward area for just over 2 months now. Hopefully I'll be signing up at one of the outdoor rifle ranges with some distance (500 yards or more) if all goes well next year and I'm able to get a bolt action rifle to get back into PRS

I am, of course, down for pretty much any weekend shoot and I under-estimated the number of shooters on this forum who are from the area
I believe Markam Park has a 100 yards range. I used to shoot high power matches there (AR-15 open sights) and we used simulated 600 yard targets. The x-ring was about half an inch in diameter.

I've been crazy busy with work, but we really should set up a range day for South Florida TFL members. Unfortunately, things will be crazy till probably late January.