The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 1, 2001, 06:17 PM   #1
DCloudy777

Para-Ord Slide-lock problem...

Okay gentleman, we're having some problems with a Para P-12 and some new magazines, and I would appreciate some help. These are Pro-Mag 10 rounders. I know the mags are cheap, and you should use factory ones, but these are just for practice, and I hope we can fix the problem. The slide stop is engaging with one round left in the mag. The problem seem to get less frequent as the mags were used more and more... is this just a stout mag spring getting broken in, or is this a feed lip or follower problem? Any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

DanO
Old July 1, 2001, 09:08 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Regardless of the strength of the mag spring, the follower should not reach the slide stop until the mag is empty. If you have any factory mag, compare it to the one(s) you are using, and you should see the difference.

It is also possible that the slide stop has too little tension from the spring and plunger or that the plunger is not long enough. If this is the case, the slide stop can be loose and engage from recoil rather than from the mag follower, but this is not a common situation.

Jim
Old July 1, 2001, 09:35 PM   #3
DCloudy777

Okay, thanks Jim... I agree, the follower can't be engaing the slide stop, is it possible for the round to be engagiing the slide stop? I don;t think it's a problem with the plunger or anything else on the gun, because the function is flawless with the facotry mags. Could this be a lip problem... putting the last round in a postion to engage the slide stop? I admit, this is a pretty weird situation... thanks again...
DanO
Old July 2, 2001, 07:19 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

DCloudy777, yes. That happens quite often. Check for brass colored marks on the inside of the slide stop. The fix is to relieve the slide stop until the nose of the round no longer hits it. George
Old July 2, 2001, 08:21 AM   #5
DCloudy777

Thanks George and Jim... but I think I got it late last night. Jim, we were both wrong, it was the follower engaging the slide stop. It seems the mag spring had a really wierd bend at the top supporting the follower, and the follower, with the last round on top of it, would tilt back and allow the front to hit the slide stop. I tried taking the bend out of the spring. This made the follower nestle nicely into the top coil just like every other magazine I've ever seen, and also solved the tipping problem. We'll take the gun to the range as soon as we can to make sure, but function tests all went without a hitch, and I'm pretty sure I've got it fixed. Thanks again, this forum is an invaluable resource.

DanO
Old July 2, 2001, 12:40 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Glad you found the problem and hope the fix works. I won't comment on the quality of magazines these days, since I do not use profanity on line.

Jim