The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 6, 2011, 07:14 PM   #1
NeonLeon

Barska Scopes??

Has anyone ever used a Barska scope? I don't know much about scopes ... what makes a good one and what makes a bad one .....
Old January 6, 2011, 08:06 PM   #2
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I have one, can't remember which model, I think I paid about $70 for it. I use it on my AR-15 with a 20" barrel. It doesn't hold zero very well. For a short time it's OK but if you put the gun away for a couple months it has to be re-zero'd. I've also got a Bushnell Elite 4200 ($300) and a Bushnell 22 Rimfire ($40) and find the quality on both of those to be worlds beyond the Barska. I have not seen either of them lose zero when stored. When I get around to it, I will probably replace the Barska with another Bushnell 4200.
Old January 6, 2011, 08:14 PM   #3
NeonLeon

I'm looking for something to put on my S&W MP 15-22 that will let me plink at 100 yards or so. I appreciate your input.

Being the rookie that I am ... what kind of rings/mount would I need for a 1" tube on an S&W 15/22?

Last edited by NeonLeon; January 6, 2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old January 7, 2011, 07:01 PM   #4
10-96

For casual plinking, I would take a peek at some of the scopes offered by Mueller Optics. They are still very easy on the wallet, but won't leave you cussing.

For mounting- there's a one-stop cure-all that I use on my AR's. It's not high dollar, but I've never had one fail. http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ac1melosysem.html

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old January 7, 2011, 07:02 PM   #5
DiscoRacing

I bought a barska from Midway once.... got it and didnt like it...the sight thru scope was dark,,,not clear,, didnt even mount it. Will not buy one again.
Old January 7, 2011, 08:11 PM   #6
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I think the best rings out there are the Burris Zee Rings. I won't use anything else. Search around and you can see why they are so nice.
Old January 7, 2011, 09:17 PM   #7
chiefr

I was given one of these scopes without ever even hearing about them. It is a 6x24X power. I mounted on an all weather Ruger 77 in 300 Win Mag and kept it mounted as I tested about 100 reloads. The scope held up and never lost zero. I did notice at the high power settings above 18x, there was slight darkening like Disco said. I later removed the scope from the 300 and replaced it with a silver one from a different manufacturer to match the stainless Ruger.
Looking more into Barska, I did notice they are about the lowest price scopes you can buy new. My one-time experience with Barska has been good.
Old January 7, 2011, 09:52 PM   #8
TheNatureBoy

I have one. A 4 to12 I believe. Came with a rifle I traded for. Its aw ight. Its in my garage in a box.
Old January 7, 2011, 09:54 PM   #9
shanzlik

I have a Barska marketed as a tactical scope due to the short tube and illuminated reticle. It's merely okay, and will work out to 100 yards but it is a bit dark and I guess I would say a little hazy. Just not really sharp. Of course, it was inexpensive. You can get bettr clarity with the CenterPoint 4-16x40 scope they have at Walmart for about the same price. It is a longer scope though which looks funny on a short AR.

If you could swing about $200 for a Falcon Menace 1.5-5x30 it is around the same size as the Barska with much better glass and build quality.

Having said that, it sounds like you know sort of what to expect and if the Barska is what you're looking for it may do okay.

Barska

CenterPoint