The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 10, 2010, 01:40 PM   #1
Pa Gnarley

Remmington Nylon 66

I started to disassemble my 66 for cleaning (badly needed) and I'm going to need a little help, please.
Old May 10, 2010, 07:01 PM   #2
30-30remchester

WARNING, the Remington 66 was never designed to be disassembled. Remington gave warning to make no attemt to take one apart. Gunsmiths that have worked on them have invented an entire new list of swear words. I have seen more guns damaged by improper cleaning than from neglect. Most guns dont need to be disassembled to clean. Simply clean the barrel, then squirt one of the many gun cleaming products in the action and let it soak. Then use a q-tip, plastic pick and toothbrush and you should be fine. I just put back togeather a Winchester model 1887 built in 1889 that the owner took apart to clean and couldnt reassemble. The gun had never been disassembled since it was new. So if a blackpowder shotgun can hunt for 113 years, I doubt yours is in that much need.
Old May 10, 2010, 09:59 PM   #3
SDC

They're an absolute nightmare to work on, and you'll be wishing you had a spare set of hands halfway through; that said, these are probably the clearest instructions you're likely to find: http://www.nylonrifles.com/Nylonpdf/66DIS.pdf
Old May 13, 2010, 05:04 PM   #4
Pa Gnarley

SDC

i went to the web site and feel like I have at least a chance to put it back together. Thanks for the info, Pa Gnarley
Old May 13, 2010, 09:03 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Good heavens, they are pretty simple to take down, just note how things are put in before removing them so you can re-assemble them with no problem. There are some little tricks it is nice to know, but anyone with some mechanical knowhow should have no problem and any gunsmith who can't dis- and re-assemble one without instructions needs to take up something like rose growing.

As for not being designed to be disassembled, or Remington warning not to take them apart, that is plain silly. Remington put out a detailed manual on how to do just that. (See the link in SDC's post.)

I recommend not disassembling the trigger group or removing the magazine outer tube unless necessary, but neither should be beyond the ability of a competent gunsmith.

Jim
Old May 13, 2010, 09:52 PM   #6
williamd

Have disassembled and cleaned mine many times! There is one small 90degree angle piece that has to go in as it came out. So, pay attenction to tapered corner. Otherwise, simple. Even if you get the angle piece in wrong it just will not cock and you will have to take it apart to change it. Good practice. Go for it.
Old May 14, 2010, 08:25 AM   #7
montveil

The only part I found not clearly indicated on the take down diagram is the cartridge stop spring. It should go under the pin and be under tension for assembly.
My Remington diagram suggests it rests on top of the pin.
As suggested earlier unless the firearm is really dirty and cycling is impaired I just use gun cleaner in a pressure can to blast out the crud ( test on a small section of the stock to see that it doesn't soften the nylon. I then lube with dry Teflon
Old June 22, 2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Claddagh

FWIW, if you'll go to Remington's website and ask, they'll send you a photocopy of the original factory owner's manual gratis. All they ask is that you provide the serial number so that they can be sure you get the correct one for your rifle.

Jim's right, as usual. There're drawings and instructions on how and what to disassemble for cleaning in the manual. I've done it several times, and if you pay attention to what you're doing it isn't all that tough.