The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 29, 2016, 08:33 PM   #1
bigbird34

I need Colt 1873 Peacemaker help

Hello Gentlemen, it has been a while , but I have an Old colt Model 1873 , that requires your assistance , as I try to figure out what it may be worth !

This pistol is lettered by Colt, S/N 286xxx, it was originally a 41 Long Colt, it is now a 38 Spl. We assume Colt did the work, but the letter does not state that this is so.
I know this a negative in value . But The original owner of the Gun was "William B. Hyde " and he had Stamped, on the back strap of the pistol is
"Herbert K. Hyde Indian Terrioity 5 august 1898 " This is Williams sons "Herbert" birth date .In 7/24/1906 Herbert Hyde had an "Muskogee, Indian Territory" application that was received at this office " Commisioner to the Five Civilized Tribes" for the enrollment,as a minor citizen by blood of the Cherokee Nation and was applying to be a minor , of William B. Hyde,and his mother "Ora Beavers nee Hyde" .

We also believe that Herbert K. Hyde, was somehow involved with the dimise of Machine Gun Kelly ,and he helped capture or prosacute , Machine gun Kelly . This is the time period when Herbert probably had the 41 L.C., made into a 38 special 1906 we believe .
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...4/DSCF4018.jpg

Thank you for any assistance you can provide !
Old October 29, 2016, 10:09 PM   #2
JT-AR-MG42

That sort of looks like a second generation cylinder to me.
A Colt cylinder from 1906 would have a radius bevel on the front of the chambers.
Bad camera angle makes it hard to see how the front of the cylinder shown is beveled.

I reckon you know the gun has been buffed and re-blued, at least it has that look
from the first photo that focuses on the replaced stocks.

One would need sharp clear photos to judge much more.

My take, JT
Old October 29, 2016, 10:11 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

The frame has been refinished, probably at the same time it was rebarreled. The frame is blued, so I doubt Colt did the work.
Old October 30, 2016, 09:44 AM   #4
bigbird34

38 spl

I know the gun has been rebarreled , and the cylinder,must have been changed to except the 38 Special cartridge , as for the bluing and buffing , one can only assume it was done when it was rebarreled !

So I know the gun has lost some of it's value .

But it's my understanding that Herbet K Hyde, was a police officier, or agent of some sort that helped either capture "Machine gun Kelly" or put him behind bars .

I'm curious if the history of the owner makes the gun more valuable ???

Thank-you, Jim
Old October 30, 2016, 02:09 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

Provenance tying a firearm to a historical figure certainly enhances value.
Was Hyde in Memphis, TN? That is where Kelly was captured.
Old October 30, 2016, 02:42 PM   #6
bigbird34

Herbert K. Hyde

Herbert K. Hyde was the D.A. who put the Kellys behind bars . There is a book Titled "The Year of Fear" where Herbert is involved with the capture of Machine gun Kelly and his wife .I have not read the book. and In another book "The secrect files of Edgar Hoover , there is mention Hyde working for Hoover .

TY Jim
Old November 21, 2016, 11:20 AM   #7
mike10s

colt peacemaker info

My name is mike hyde, my grandfather was Herbert k Hyde Sr. The date on the colt was his birthday. He died in 1976. He was the U.S. Attorney who prosecuted Machine gun Kelly and his gang. The trial was held at the federal courthouse in oklahoma city in 1933. He was the youngest U.S. attorney ever appointed. He ran for the U.S senate in oklahoma in 1936. I had never from my father or anyone of that gun ever existing, what a treat to see it!!!