The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 6, 2010, 11:15 PM   #1
check

1908 Winchester .22 with Maxim Silencer

Can anyone tell me about this particular firearm? I can't seem to find anything about it anywhere. It would be nice to get some background info on this. Thanks...
Old June 6, 2010, 11:44 PM   #2
NavyLT

You are going to have to provide a lot better description than that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ma...nt_drawing.png
Old June 7, 2010, 08:02 AM   #3
Jim Watson

I don't know what a 1908 Winchester is.
Is that a patent date, maybe?
On the rifle or on the silencer?
What is the action type?
Can you post pictures?

Whatever the rifle, the Maxim Silencer came out in 1909 and was regularly available until 1934 when the NFA applied heavy restrictions and high taxes on them.
Maxim would sell you a complete gun + silencer outfit, thread your barrel to take their silencer, or sell a no-gunsmithing adapter.

If you are in the USA it is not legal to own a silencer without proper registration when new and payment of the transfer tax every time it changes hands.
I do not know if it is possible to legalize an old silencer that turns up in Grandpa's closet or some such.
Old June 7, 2010, 12:30 PM   #4
Loader9

Winchester made a Model 74 in a semi auto that was sold to the Brits just before WWII that were equipped with a silencer. The Brits were expecting a German invasion and the Home Guard was issued these shooters as sniper rifles. If it's marked RAF, it could be worth a bunch of money to a Winchester collector. The silencer was made by Parker Hale.
I have never seen a 1906 22 caliber with a silencer but it wouldn't take much to fit one.
Old June 20, 2010, 11:50 AM   #5
check

I have more information about this firearm. It is not a 1908 like I had previously thought. The information on the rifle is:

On the barrel: Manufactured by the Winchester repeating arms co. -Model 1902---Winchester- New Haven. Conn. U.S.A. Patented August 29.1899. *.22 Short & Long - Trade Mark Reg. In U.S. Pat. Off.

Proof mark PW with a circle around it on the barrel and action.

PAT NOV 4.02 on the front sight

Silencer:
Maxim Silencer
PAT. MCH. 30. 1909-May 24. 1910
Made in Hartford, CT.U.S.A

Can you tell me anything about this rifle? I saw a picture of it. Don't know anything else about it. Thanks.
Old June 20, 2010, 02:51 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, check,

The Model 1902 is a single shot, bolt action rifle. It is a low cost "boys" rifle and it is interesting that someone put an expensive Maxim silencer on it. The Model 1902 was quite popular, with some 640,000 made between 1902 and 1931. It was a successor to the Model 1900 and similar to that gun. It is also similar to the slightly fancier Model 1904 which was made at the same time.

There is collector interest, and value on a Model 1902 could be as high as $500 for one in new condition. An average would be around $150, with a bit more for those chambered for .22 Extra Long and for early guns with only the Short and Long marking.

If you are not in the U.S. I have no idea how much the presence of the silencer will affect the value.

If you are in the U.S. and the silencer is registered, a $200 tax would have to be paid on its transfer; if it is not registered, then as noted above, its possession is illegal.

Jim