The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 12, 2019, 07:47 AM   #51
BeeShooter

Logic dictates- The .243 Winchester has been around for a very long time.The 6mmCM hasn't. Only time will tell. Bullets heavier than 90/100 grain and barrels faster than 10 in. are results from pushing the performance envelop that so often happens in competition shooting and not from hunters in the field. The 6mm CM is actually a spin-off from the 6.5 CM that was designed primarily for the target crowd. For all practical purposes, if you need a bullet heavier than 90 grains for hunting go to a larger caliber. IMO - I think short barrels,silencers, and muzzle breaks in this caliber range are a waste of time and money and inhibit performance. I'm not a body shooter when it comes to hunting deer. I shoot the upper neck. Consequently, I use a 222/50gr.(and sometimes even a hornet) at 100 yards and 22-250/65gr out to 250 yards. Now days when I get the urge to go hunting, I usually convince myself that it's cheaper to just go to Berger King. I absolutely love to shoot paper with both the 6cm/7.5 twist/105gr.(target rifle) and my 243 Win/10 twist/80-87gr.(hunting rifle). Both shoot extremely well. My advice to you is to get what you want and enjoy it. It doesn't have to be the latest and the greatest.
Old April 12, 2019, 09:50 AM   #52
dahermit

Quote:
Now days when I get the urge to go hunting, I usually convince myself that it's cheaper to just go to Berger King.
It may be cheaper, but Berger King does not take a venison roast, place it on a large square of aluminum foil, dot it with butter, sprinkle a package of Lipton Onion Soup mix on it, squeeze an entire lemon on it, wrap it up, bake it in the oven, make gravy from the accumulated drippings to pour over the meat. Nor do they serve that with mashed potatoes.
Old April 12, 2019, 11:40 AM   #53
stagpanther

Quote:
It may be cheaper, but Berger King does not take a venison roast, place it on a large square of aluminum foil, dot it with butter, sprinkle a package of Lipton Onion Soup mix on it, squeeze an entire lemon on it, wrap it up, bake it in the oven, make gravy from the accumulated drippings to pour over the meat. Nor do they serve that with mashed potatoes.
McCervids does.
Old April 13, 2019, 01:19 PM   #54
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeShooter
IMO - I think short barrels,silencers, and muzzle breaks in this caliber range are a waste of time and money and inhibit performance.
Until you can actually quantify how loosing all this is inhibiting performance, your argument just can't hold up. Brakes and Suppressors do nothing to take away from performance of a round they simply change the way you perceive sound and have added benefits of reducing recoil and muzzle jump. Short barrels do not produce the speed that a longer barrel does, but they don't necessarily cause increased/reduced accuracy.

If I lose an average of 36 fps per inch from 26" barrel to a 20" barrel with 105 grain bullets, or 32 fps from 26" to 20" barrel with a 95 grain bullet like in this article. How, does that equate to inhibited performance if I'm able to get the dope correct, I'm able to shoot each rifle equally well, and both rifles exhibit the same accuracy potential? How does that equate to me not being able to kill a deer at 400 yards and less with the 20" barrel rifle vs. 26", or be any less able to ring steel or punch paper out as far as the bullets stay supersonic?
Old April 18, 2019, 06:55 PM   #55
ndking1126

Taylorce1, did you make a decision yet?
Old April 19, 2019, 07:44 AM   #56
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndking1126
Taylorce1, did you make a decision yet?
Yes, I'll be going 6mm Creedmoor.

However, I've got to recover a bit from paying taxes this year. I had a profitable year outside of work and owed a little more than I planned on. Then I have to get my wife a different car, the 2.0T on her 2011 Tiguan needs replaced and that's $8,500 minimum at VW. With the mileage we have on it it isn't worth 1/4 the price of the new engine install. So I guess a little has happened since I started this thread, and while the project isn't dead it has definitely suffered a setback.
Old April 19, 2019, 09:49 AM   #57
tango1niner

I have a .243 RCBS. It looks similar to the 6mm CM with very little body taper, improved shoulder, and longer neck. The rifle is a Rem 600 with a 24" Hart barrel with 1-10" twist.
If I can hold it still enough it shoots 1/4" 5 shot groups with Hornady 75 gr. HP's and 100 gr. Nosler partitions to pretty near the same point of impact at 100 yds. This caliber is strictly a handloading proposition.

While they appear to be great shooters neither of the CM's are in my future.
Old April 19, 2019, 06:26 PM   #58
BeeShooter

It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I'll be happy to have a shoot off any day.
Old April 26, 2019, 02:41 AM   #59
std7mag

Wife & I got nailed for $2k, thanks to no insurance.

Anyways, was thinking of this thread while watching Rex shoot 243 Win out to 1,542 yards.
I liked my wifes Rossi R243, not a hunting rifle, but accurate as all get out! Especially with her behind it!
Thinking another 243 in my future. Distant future, but future none the less.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old April 26, 2019, 12:04 PM   #60
603Country

Interesting read. I had nothing to do while paint dried (really). The cartridge discussion was worth the read since I’ve considered getting a 243AI. As for barrel length, most everything I have now has a 20” barrel, even my 220 Swift. Accuracy is most definitely not a problem.
Old April 27, 2019, 12:01 AM   #61
m&p45acp10+1

If one hand loads the 6mm Creedmoor is the more versatile of the two. Rifles in that caliber tend to have a twist rate that will stabilize the long heavy bullets. I know there are a few rifles offered from Ruger, and Savage that I can think of right off the bat that are chambered in the round. I have on the shelf at Cabela's seen 6mm Creedmoor brass. As well as some of the heavier bullets in ELD Match, and the hunting ELD-X. Also there were 5 loads on the shelf for it prices ranged from $28 to $40 for a box of 20.

If one does not load their own. I would advise the .243 especially if one hunts far from home. If one forgets to pack the ammo up. They can get .243 ammo most small town stores, and just about any Wal-Mart. I doubt that would be possible with the Creedmoor.

I have a .243 Win. I have owned it since my father purchased it for me to go on a hunt with him 30 years ago. My family argues over who gets to use it first. I can not count how many freezers it has filled with meat. It has killed deer, hogs, and many other critters. It still shoots true, and I have as of yet to load for it. I have enough Core Lokt that it shoots well to last out my life, and part way into its next owner's.

I had one 6.5 Creedmoor. I now have two. Both drive tacks. I am sure a 6CM will do so just as well.
Old April 27, 2019, 09:10 AM   #62
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddotlight View Post
I didn't know the 6mm Creedmore came in a factory rifle yet. I don't guess the 6mm Creedmore would make it because of the 243. 243 blew out the 6mm Rem! The difference in velocity of the two is about like the difference between the 260 and 6.5 CM. That and a buck and a half will get you a cup of coffee!
The 6mm Creedmore is not in any production rifle but almost all the majors make a rifle in 6mm Creedmoor.
Old April 27, 2019, 09:53 AM   #63
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

LineStretcher, maybe you need to edit your post?
Old April 27, 2019, 09:59 AM   #64
std7mag

Isn't that kind of contradictory??? Lol

Old April 27, 2019, 12:19 PM   #65
ammo.crafter

6mm

Am I the only one shooting a 6mm?
Old April 28, 2019, 03:21 PM   #66
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineStretcher
The 6mm Creedmore is not in any production rifle
There are rifles in 6mm Creedmoor by several manufacturers. Barrett, Bergara, Browning, Howa, Remington, Ruger, and Savage just to name a few.
Old April 29, 2019, 06:00 AM   #67
std7mag

Yep..
And they all make some good 22lr guns too....

All kidding aside, knowing Taylorce, any rifle built will end up attractive and a definite shooter.
Keep us posted on the build!

Old April 29, 2019, 11:19 AM   #68
ndking1126

Quote:
it has definitely suffered a setback.
Happens to the best of us! I'd bet at least half the projects people talk about on here end up not happening at all, haha.