The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 2018, 10:08 AM   #1
TXJohn

308 SMALL Rifle Primers Starline Brass

Hey Guys,

I have a friend that I reload for in .308 in a Tikka Varmit. He sent me some brass .308 Starline small primer pocket. I have never loaded .308 with small rifle primers. I have looked in all my manuals and on line and can't find any thing on powder, bullets, and primers. He thought he was ordering Large Rifle Primer Pockets.

I do know these are normally for 155 gr. Palma loads but can you use these small rifle primer pockets .308's for normal loads that are in manual or reduce the powder loads?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

John
Old November 12, 2018, 10:28 AM   #2
lordmorgul

I don’t have your answer, but I have heard of these cases before. I’d suggest at least starting well off of your known loads (80-85%) since new primer / case combo. There is very low damage risk to slightly underpowered loads in bolt gun if he checks daylight through barrel each round until verified good working loads.

I’m interested in hearing the answer to this; I’d consider running those cases in my bolt gun if this works well.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member
Old November 12, 2018, 11:11 AM   #3
mikld

Since we don't have any data on hand for a small primed 308, just use starting loads for large primed brass and work up, you'll prolly be safe. If you get erratic velocities or hang fires, try a Small Rifle Magnum primer...
Old November 12, 2018, 11:16 AM   #4
hounddawg

I have loaded .308 and .260 Rem using small rifle primer cases. Use your normal loads and start low you will be fine
Old November 12, 2018, 11:37 AM   #5
TXJohn

Thanks hounddawg, that was what I thought but wanted to ask someone that had loaded with small primers.
Old November 12, 2018, 12:39 PM   #6
hounddawg

John see if you can find several brands of SRP's to play with as a last step in your load development. I had the best luck with going from CCI large rifle primers to Federals both match and regular and CCI 400's and 450's.
Old November 12, 2018, 12:48 PM   #7
TXJohn

Thanks hounddawg, I know I have CCI 400's and think I have Federal 205's just have to check. What powders are you using for the .308.

John
Old November 12, 2018, 12:53 PM   #8
Dufus

Here is a link to the Starline page. It explains that their small primer 308 Win brass is "match" (they call it 308 Match), and the large primer brass is just 308 Win.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/308-Match/

Easy to look up. I have both large and small primered 308 Win brass from Starline. They all seem to work good and accuracy has not changed, at least for me.
Old November 12, 2018, 01:00 PM   #9
TXJohn

Thanks Dufus, yea already read about that. They are the match brass and have small rifle primer pockets. Just haven't loaded with small primers before with .308. Out of my Rem. always large primers and have always loaded for my friend with large also.

John
Old November 13, 2018, 04:39 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

The only downside is the small primers have less total priming mix in each one, so they make less pressurizing gas. That will mean they are more prone to inconsistent ignition with loads that have poor case fill or that use older type spherical propellants like BL-(C)2 or 748 etc. But with a single-base stick powder and good case fill, they should do just fine. Think Varget, 4064's, 4895's, and some of the newer IMR stick powders.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 14, 2018, 04:23 PM   #11
TXJohn

Thanks Unclenick,

Still haven't decided if I will even mess with them. My friend has ordered some Large Rifle brass for the 308.
Old November 14, 2018, 05:13 PM   #12
reynolds357

I prefer the small pocket 308 as I also prefer the small pocket 6.5 Creedmoor. You do not want to reduce powder charge. Start in the upper powder charge range. Compressed loads are ideal.
Old November 14, 2018, 07:31 PM   #13
hounddawg

John I have not reloaded .308 in at least 8 years. When I did I used 155.5 Berger Fullbores, Varget and CCI 400's. I doubt that I have any load data for them these days, most of my old logs were destroyed not that it would matter much. That was the first bottleneck reloading I had ever done, I used to manage to get some nice 100 yards groups with that .308 but it was mostly luck
Old November 15, 2018, 09:22 AM   #14
TXJohn

Thanks hounddawg, I have been loading .308 with Varget with 150gr.Nosler BT's and have better luck with R-15 with the 168gr A-MAX with CCI's 200's and BR-2s large rife primers. Think I will just hang on to them awhile until I get a notion to try something new.

John