The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 31, 2018, 03:25 PM   #1
darticus

Cleaning a the victor"

I'm older and eyes are not great. Is there a simple way to give "The Victor" High Standard a cleaning. It does not always load the bullet into the chamber. Thanks Ron
Old October 31, 2018, 03:37 PM   #2
mdThanatos

I don't have one so I am not sure how detailed the process is to strip it down. Based on what I have seen the grips are removable, so I would take them off, lock the slide back, brush away any fouling/grime/residue you can, then use a cleaning spray to break up and blow out anything that remains, if it is really bad, try soaking it for a while then use a nylon brush to clean away anything that has been broken loose.

Once it has been cleaned, you should be able to apply oil/grease and then cycle the slide back and forth to try and spread it.
Old October 31, 2018, 03:57 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Quote:
It does not always load the bullet into the chamber
Depends on what you mean by this.
Does the bullet fetch up against the breech end of the barrel or wedged against the edge of the chamber? That is a magazine adjustment problem; High Standards don't have feed ramps, the magazine lips must be just right.

Or does it start into the chamber and just not go all the way in? That is a fouled chamber, clean the gun.
What I do on my similar Supermatic Citation is to take the barrel off and take the slide off, being careful not to lose the slide stop spring or trigger bar spring. I clean the barrel with attention to the chamber, and scrub the barrel breech end and the slide face with a machinist's brush. Lube the rails and reassemble.
You can do a quickie job with a boresnake and lube that may get you going.

A gun shot a lot will need a new recoil spring, "drive spring" in HS terminology.
Old October 31, 2018, 04:17 PM   #4
Mike38

Be very careful taking off the grips! The right grip (I think it's the right one) captures a tiny coil spring that can easily fall off. I had one heck of a time trying to find it. Spent a good 10 minutes on my hands and knees crawling around looking for it.

If by " It does not always load the bullet into the chamber" you mean jam from a failure to feed / chamber, it could very well be a magazine issue. The HS magazines must be near perfect for flawless operation. There are web sites that explain how to adjust the mag lips. If you mean the bullets is chambering, but sticking half way in, it could be four things. Dirty chamber, clean with a .25 caliber bronze brush. Out of spec ammo. Weak worn out driving spring. Or the worse, the pistol has been dry fired too many times and a divot has formed on the breech face and moved metal into the chamber. That will require a pistolsmith to correct. DO NOT sand or grind the displaced metal in the chamber, it has to be swaged back into it's original place.
Old October 31, 2018, 05:32 PM   #5
dgludwig

Quote:
If by " It does not always load the bullet into the chamber" you mean jam from a failure to feed / chamber, it could very well be a magazine issue. The HS magazines must be near perfect for flawless operation.
This is good advice. Most High Standard semi-auto .22 pistols don't have feed ramps in the traditional sense; the magazine lips and follower serve to chamber the round.
Old October 31, 2018, 06:13 PM   #6
saleen322

You did not mention the series that I seen so I will assume it is a push-button take down model. Just one piece of advice in addition to what others have mentioned, after you clear the pistol, take a cleared, empty magazine and put it back in the pistol before you push the button to remove the barrel. This will assure the slide stays open when you remove and reinstall the barrel. If you don't put a magazine in, even a light bump will release the slide stop and, if the barrel is not correctly in place, the extractor will commonly get broken when it hits the barrel. I have fixed so many extractors and when I ask if they were removing or replacing the barrel, I get a, "How did you know?" Don't be that guy.