The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 12, 2018, 01:18 AM   #1
Dano4734

Shooting sticks

I am old i seen to have wobbles i didn’t have when i was young. Been reading about shooting sticks. Anyone use them in reality other than the hype i keep reading. Deer season opening Saturday and i gotta fix my casull wobbles as i wanna deer with a handgun and iron sites this year to make it more interesting. Got my load and gun dialed in on the bench but off hand not as good as i was in my younger days. Getting old however is better than the alternative
Old November 12, 2018, 01:32 AM   #2
Dano4734

What is a good one to buy, bipod tripod, single every body claims they are the best I need something to hold my five inch casull steady for a 50-75 yard shot no further
Old November 12, 2018, 12:48 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

Dano,
You can go with monopods, bipods, or tripods. I tried the bipods but found I still rocked back and forth with them and that caused some issues. I use a couple of tripods. I have bought cheap (that worked for a while) and I have bought quality. I prefer the quality tripods (and there are several), but I use my gear a LOT.

I am a fan of Primos Trigger Sticks and of Bog Pod. I would not suggest the Primos Trigger Sticks in a bipod, only tripod or monopod. The bipod, with the long grip, tends to cant to one side or the other if you don't hold onto the grip itself. For how I hunt, I prefer to hold the gun and worry about controlling it and not having to hold the rest (mono/bi/tripod) and controlling it in addition to holding and controlling the gun. Tripods are best for this.

Monopods are the lightest, quickest to deploy and the least stable.

Bipods are the second lightest and quickest, plus are much more stable.

Tripods are heaviest and the slowest to deploy but are the most stable. They allow for 360 degree rotation that can be difficult in bipods which are only directionally supportive. With all the legs together, tripods can be used as a monopod in situations were expediency is necessary.
Old November 12, 2018, 01:56 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...wanna deer with a handgun..." Might be a tad late to be just starting with sticks. And they ain't the same as a bipod or tripod. However, all of 'em will require you to do some shooting with 'em to sight-in and learn how your handgun shoots with 'em. None of 'em are anywhere near as stable as a bench rest.
Upside is shooting sticks are free. Requires a machete or the saw on your Swiss Army knife. Couple saplings(straight branches will do) cut to your required length and maybe lashed together(that's easier than you'd think.)
Old November 12, 2018, 02:15 PM   #5
Dano4734

Good advice I been shooting a lot off hand doing good but limited range. Something like a tripod may get me out further hopefully. Going to the range tomorrow as I borrowed my friends tripod and see how it goes
Old November 12, 2018, 05:25 PM   #6
Doyle

I use a collapsible set that has 4 sections that slide into each other. Works pretty good as long as you don't need to adjust it quickly. Works nice for setting up in a quick brush ground blind.
Old November 12, 2018, 05:55 PM   #7
Old Stony

I've used shooting sticks off and on for years. Normally just a pair of sticks fastened together so I can put the bottoms closer or further apart, depending on the height I need. I have used them in muzzleloading shoots only though and not hunting. Using a pistol, a guy needs to get used resting his wrist on the sticks, and not the pistol....it's a lot different than shooting off a rest, but a lot more efficient than shooting offhand.
Old November 12, 2018, 07:01 PM   #8
jmr40

The ones with 3 legs are the sturdiest, but the bulkiest to carry around. I have 2 sets and rarely hunt without one of them.

These use shock corded poles and break down into a very compact package. These almost always are in my pack

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hammers-S...Rest/142973840

I have another set similar to this, not the exact brand. They are heavier duty, and bulkier to carry, but depending on the situation I use them at times. They can also serve double duty as a walking stick.

https://www.amazon.com/Primos-Pole-6...hooting+sticks

The single pole versions don't help me at all, but with practice I can shoot pretty well with either of these. Not quite as good as off a bench, but much better than anything else. But it does take practice.

Winston Churchill
Old November 12, 2018, 08:02 PM   #9
Dano4734

I think the tripod will work best for me. I am just going to set up and post on a trail. Today i checked out a single one. It just won’t work for what i need. Your suggestions are much appreciated. Going to try my friends one tomorrow
Old November 13, 2018, 07:52 AM   #10
Mobuck

"Anyone use them in reality"

Yes, I do. I'm past 65 and find I need support for most shots. I've been using homemade shooting sticks for a couple years. Made from 3' of 3/8 - 1/2" diameter bamboo tied with either boot lace or latex tubing(the boot lace tends to slide a bit but the tubing doesn't. I carry these sticks while hunting and they're just right for sitting shots. Length can be adjusted but the bamboo gets too flexy if over 4' long so if your goal is standing support better use something stiffer.
The advantage over something factory made is if I forget/lose the bamboo sticks, I'm not out much $$
Old November 25, 2018, 09:29 AM   #11
Viper225

Setting up on a trail the Tripod will more than likely work best.

When stalking around I have a Walking Stick with a forked antler on the top. Much better than off hand.

Bob R