The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 26, 2019, 01:16 PM   #1
flyboy015

Do gun shows have good prices?

I've never been to a gun show, but am looking to buy a handgun in the next few weeks with some of my famous tax refund.

I've searched other posts on this forum, and found a few here and there; it seems to be the general consensus is that prices for NIB handguns (or other firearms NIB for that matter) are less than great, and probably not better than some online prices.

Does this still hold true for you folks who have attended gun shows recently? I'm sure I will end up going regardless just to see what they're all about...

I live in central Pennsylvania...pretty sure at this point that I'm set on a Canik TP9SF Elite. Shot a rental version at my local range a few weeks back and the trigger is the best I've ever felt/seen.

FWIW, I'd like to support my local GS, I'm just curious as to what prices one might find at gun shows...plus the more money I save, the more I can spend on a nice IWB holster...a nice TLR-1 light...ammunition...
Old February 26, 2019, 01:33 PM   #2
Don Fischer

I don't believe you'll find good price's at a gun show very often but, sometime's! Problem as I see it is that most the people at them sell the stuff for a living, they just don't have a store. Then there's those that do have a store and sell at gun shows now and then, I guess they think some people actually think they will get a good deal at a gun show, seldom happens. But it is fun to walk around and see what kind of stuff is for sale! About all I get at gun shows is mty brass case's and I don't generally save much money on them. Do see some really nice old gun's though, mostly over priced. Well that's not fair. If you like it and are good with th price, you got a good deal!
Old February 26, 2019, 02:08 PM   #3
Doyle

The answer is "sometimes yes, sometimes no". You really have to know the price of what you want going in. If you happen to find it, then buy. If not, walk on to the next vendor. Also remember that no price is set in stone. It is what is negotiated between a willing buyer and a willing seller. So, if the vendor is close then show him what you can get it for online and tell him that he'll get the deal if he'll beat it. They frequently have more wiggle room than they will admit to up front.
Old February 26, 2019, 02:11 PM   #4
Pahoo

I have found some great deals at GS's

Quote:
Do gun shows have good prices?
Well, it all depends and keep in mind that prices vary from dealer to dealer. there are dealers that have given me some great deals and there are others that I just walk past their tables. Generally, I can do better than internet stores and certainly retail stores. …..

If you know what you are looking for, do some online shopping as well as local stores. Also, be prepared to negotiate on price with any seller. You can also do some good deals with guys walking around. Never hurt to ask,....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 26, 2019, 03:38 PM   #5
TailGator

Seldom do I see anything I consider a good deal at shows in my area. Most handguns are priced similarly to local shops, and a fair number are a bit higher.
Old February 26, 2019, 04:25 PM   #6
jmr40

Don't go to a gun show expecting to find a bargain. Sometimes you do and if you go to enough of them you'll run across some deals. I usually take cash and look. Bargains are when you find them. Rarely do I go with something specific in mind and find a deal on it. I can almost always do better at local stores, especially on new guns.

The best thing about gun shows is being able to see/buy older used guns that may no longer be in production.

Winston Churchill
Old February 26, 2019, 04:33 PM   #7
mk70ss

No. They just have a selection of guns (older/collectible/unique) that gun stores don’t stock.
Old February 26, 2019, 05:04 PM   #8
TXAZ

No, in general.
The only exception I've noted is a guy walking around with a rifle on a sling over their shoulder with a flag in the barrel and a price on it, usually about 30 minutes before the show closes. They want to dump the gun, and may sell it (somewhat) cheap.

From the dealers there, realize most have an ongoing business, with the same overhead, plus now they have to pay for their table and cost to move their goods to and from the show.

I think before about 1995 there were some deals at many shows. No mas.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 26, 2019, 05:14 PM   #9
Doyle

Let me give you an example of a situation in which you can find good deals on new firearms at a show. The shows I used to go to in central FL were all owned by the same guy who also owns the dominant firearms chain in the state. Therefore, that retail store took up multiple tables at the center of the show. They would frequently have "gun show specials" that were indeed good prices. I highly suspect that the chain was large enough to have some "in" with the manufacturers/distributors to be able to do some high-volume buying just for the shows - passing those volume discounts along at the shows. This same retail chain would also buy up large quantities of LEO trade-ins and bring them to the show. I still kick myself for passing up some very good deals on revolvers that were carried lots but never shot while owned by the Dept of Corrections.
Old February 26, 2019, 05:42 PM   #10
JERRYS.

Gunshows use to be the go to place for good deals, but that was years ago in my experience. now-a-days you will find a whole lotta jerky for sale, wooden Indian carvings, wolves painted on velvet, grandpa's attic war souvenirs, suspect plastic bagged handloaded ammo, and guns at the same cost as Gander Mountain use to have.
Old February 26, 2019, 06:05 PM   #11
Cirdan

I've purchased exactly one gun at a gun show. Gun prices are not that competitive. However, if you know what you are dealing with, you may talk them down to a competitive price. Do your research in advance so you know the true value of the gun.
Old February 26, 2019, 06:13 PM   #12
jag2

Don't think I ever bought a new gun at a gun show, Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've ever bought a new gun. They are best for finding older models, you might go to several over many months and then finally see one on a table. Then you pray before you pick it up that it is in good condition all the while trying to hide your glee at finding it in hope of getting a better price.
Old February 26, 2019, 06:53 PM   #13
TJB101

Primers, powder and bullets are always on the list and some browsing for firearms and other supplies. Found 3 over the years but they are always far and few between.
Old February 26, 2019, 07:54 PM   #14
mr bolo

If buying a firearm with excessive handling bothers you, try not to buy from Gun Shows

the guns get too much handling / dry firing , scuffs, people dropping slides playing around, it's like the "demo model" some may even have extra finish wear thats noticeable, barrel hoods, barrels that show finish wear , slide stops & safety levers with wear, small scratches, improper gun handling, spinning cylinders on revolvers and snapping them shut the wrong way, etc.

a gun store where they might have another firearm new in the box from the back room is what I prefer , if possible.

sometimes gun shows sell off used guns with problems for a quick sale, they wont tell you about it.

a dealer tried to sell me a pistol with a cracked slide with a price sticker over the crack, hoping I wouldnt notice it.
Old February 27, 2019, 03:58 AM   #15
kozak6

If you consider gun shows as entertainment only, you will never be disappointed. And if you do find a deal, it's gravy. Might take a few gunshows, though.

I went to the gun show this weekend. I saw tons of Canik pistols, but I'm not in the market for one so I didn't pay attention to prices.

Keep an eye out for pawn shops, too. I've found that a lot of pawn shops around here actually stock Caniks to help fill out the display case.
Old February 27, 2019, 04:35 AM   #16
mag1911

The internet pretty much eliminated good deals at gunshows. The public looks up what they have on their cell phones and ask the highest piece they can find on line for what they're carrying in. The dealers have cell phones too and price their stuff at retail plus 10-15%.
Old February 27, 2019, 05:13 AM   #17
Spats McGee
Staff

As others have noted, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Since this is your first gun show, here are my tips, for whatever they're worth (which is exactly what you paid for them):
1. Be focused. If you really want to bargain hunt, you should have a firm idea on one or two items that you want. Know what they're worth and what you'll pay. If it's a big gun show, there are going to be hundreds of different pistols there. That's great if you want to fondle pistols, not so good for bargain hunting.
2. You have to be prepared to walk away. If you just cannot walk away from something, go ahead and get your $$$ out, because you have no bargaining power. But be nice about it. See step 3.
3. Don't be afraid to go back. If someone has "your" gun, but the price is too high, haggle. Sometimes, that involves declining an offer, roaming the show for a while, and going back.
4. Take cash. It has more bargaining power than anything else.
Old February 27, 2019, 08:52 AM   #18
Skans

"Do gun shows have good prices?"

If you are a knowledgeable person, you can find good deals at gun shows. There are two ways to find good deals:

1. Know exactly what you want; know the internet pricing; be willing to buy it slightly used; ignore the price tag and make a fair offer for the used gun you want to purchase.

2. Go there with an open mind and not preconceived ideas about what you want. Then, when you find that 1980 nickel Chief's Special in original box for $500, offer $450. There's your good deal!
Old February 27, 2019, 09:22 AM   #19
Stubert

My local dealer once told me never buy a used gun at a gun show, that is where they take the turds to dump them.
Old February 27, 2019, 09:39 AM   #20
Spats McGee
Staff

^^^ One good reason that you need to know how to check a used gun.
Old February 27, 2019, 09:43 AM   #21
zukiphile

Quote:
My local dealer once told me never buy a used gun at a gun show, that is where they take the turds to dump them.
That's a danger encountered in buying anything used, not a specific feature of gun shows. Why would someone have sold his used firearm to a local storefront dealer? Probably for all the reasons people have sold guns at shows.

I know that there are good prices to be had at gun shows, because when I decide that a gun doesn't interest me anymore, I see what it will fetch at a show and if someone comes close to a price that doesn't outrage me, it's gone.

I do also see high prices on lots of items. Occasionally, one sees something unusual. For more than a year back in the 1990s, I had my dealer check with Jerry's Sporting Goods for a Marlin Biathlon rifle. It was in the catalogue every month, and every month they said they were still waiting to get it in. It was $450 from the distributor if memory serves. I found a fellow selling one for $375 with the complete sight set, biathlon rail and four magazines. I leapt on it and shot it twice a week for about a decade, and it printed a three inch group at 100 yards with the iron sights just before I sold it.

If your know your interests and keep your budget in mind, a show is just another opportunity.
Old February 27, 2019, 09:50 AM   #22
USNRet93

I recently went to the Tanner show here in Denver..HUGE show and it seemed that most NIB prices were at or very slighly below the 'normal' LGS prises..Son wanted a Glock 43, found one for $450..new..about what a LGS sells them for. Reason is was a done deal cuz he gave a GREAT trade-in on my Glock 19..Advantage of a gun show is it's all in one place, a variety of guns and gun dealers.

Spats above has great suggestions. Take cash..cash deals always seem to be less than CC, obviously. The other thing I've found is the BGC 'seemed' to be less $..My son got one for that -43 for $10..a lady in the middle of a group of 4 dealers with a laptop..doing them for them all.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old February 27, 2019, 11:17 AM   #23
loknload

Sometimes you can find a good deal but you have to know what you’re looking at and be familiar with prices in your area. When I go to a gun show I very seldom buy anything gun wise unless I find what I call the deal of the day. Those deals are becoming few and far between.
I would look at local gun shops and see what the local guy has to offer. I dealt with one guy near me up until the day he passed and always got a good buy from him. If I purchased a gun from him he always threw in a box of shells and sometimes even a pistol rug, maybe a sling if it was a rifle. He always took care of his customers one way or the other and his shop was always a good place just to go look and shoot the bull! I did business with this gentleman for a lot of years and I sure do miss him, I learned a lot from going there! That’s what a good local shop has to offer once you get to know them!
Good luck with your purchase.
Old February 27, 2019, 02:51 PM   #24
Gino

Down here in Florida, I usually buy my guns at a gun show. Just recently, I wanted to buy a Ruger LCP2. All the local stores asked for $310 to $350 OTD. I went to a small gun show and found two dealers there who would sell me one OTD for $280.

About what it would have cost me to buy from Buds....
Old February 27, 2019, 06:03 PM   #25
spacemanspiff

I haven't bought a gun at a show. Bought ammo, magazines, and other misc gun-related stuff though.

Just have cash on hand, and know what you are looking for.