The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 11, 2019, 02:44 PM   #26
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgulino View Post
At Academy yesterday buying some reloading supplies and overheard a conversation at the gun counter. A young guy, twenty-something, was asking about handguns. He selected a semi-auto to handle and the counter guy handed it to him after clearing it. The young guy obviously had never handled a handgun. He muzzle swept me twice and could not close the action. He then asked the counter guy what concealed carry meant. I'm glad he handed the weapon back instead of making a purchase.
Were you born knowing how to drive a car ....or did someone have to teach you how to drive .

Not everyone has a Father or Grandfather to teach them safe gun handling and shooting.
We should all make an effort to teach the new people and get them interested in shooting.
Be nice,
Gary
Old March 12, 2019, 07:44 AM   #27
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
Were you born knowing how to drive a car ....or did someone have to teach you how to drive .

Not everyone has a Father or Grandfather to teach them safe gun handling and shooting.
We should all make an effort to teach the new people and get them interested in shooting.
Be nice,
Gary
Yup...I'm taking a dual citizen(Peru and US) guy shooting today..he has never held a gun in his life(he's 67). I'm going to show him the 'great fun' part of shooting along with basic safety, handling, basic mechanics of the gun and shooting BUT I'm not there to make fun of him just cuz he's never handled a gun before. Ya never know, maybe there's a Glock in his future, he certainly can afford it..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old March 12, 2019, 08:40 AM   #28
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslinger
Not saying you should have jumped in but these are the folks we WANT!!! So the guy was ignorant regarding firearms. Did you slice the pie when you popped out of the womb and clear the room???

We need to teach and guide folks even if we try not to call them idiots online because who knows maybe that dude is reading right now thinking what a buch of aholes why do I want to be a part of this world.

Not saying there are not true damn fools out there but not knowing any better is just waiting for learning to know better.
Thanks for that post.

I do wish gun stores as a group would respond to these situations very simply with a few lines and a take home paper.

The paper would say:
Quote:
FREE GUN SAFETY LESSON!
Guns are very dangerous when mishandled. Guns are a great individual, couple or family pastime when handled properly.

Lesson #1
RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

For your next lessons, please seek training from any NRA certified instructor or our favorite:
Joe@Joe’s Gun Shop
555-123-4567
email: [email protected]
You could even underline what they did that identified them as a newbie and politely show the right way.

The best part is 99% of the folks you give this to will think they are gun experts.....which should cause them to reflect on why Joe would hand them this paper.
Old March 12, 2019, 09:52 AM   #29
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
The best part is 99% of the folks you give this to will think they are gun experts.....which should cause them to reflect on why Joe would hand them this paper.
But it probably won't. Either they won't understand, will ignore it, or they will be insulted that somebody had the audacity to try to point out to them, gun expert that they are, that they might have done something wrong.
Old March 13, 2019, 05:08 PM   #30
reynolds357

Quote:
Once upon a time at the gun shop, a gentleman purchasing a Mossberg 500 asked if it came with a clip.

It doesn't; it has a fixed tube magazine. This was before the box mag version was available.

The clerk stated that it was actually built into the gun, and went to get a snap cap to demonstrate correct operation of the shotgun.

That was an ideal response to a seemingly ignorant question, as far as things go.
Agreed. Far too many would demean him for not knowing how the shotgun held its ammo. They would then dress him down about "clip vs magazine."
Old March 13, 2019, 05:14 PM   #31
reynolds357

https://youtu.be/QNa5n2I_DUw

This reminds me of many gun "experts" who know it all.
Old March 14, 2019, 11:30 AM   #32
Skans

"To those people who actually believe that they have never inadvertently felony menaced someone or had trouble operating a firearm when they started out....yeh, keep telling yourself that, at least you’ll believe it."

I'll admit, I made lots of firearms handling mistakes when I first started handling handguns.
Old March 14, 2019, 06:14 PM   #33
Targa

Me too..^^
Old March 14, 2019, 11:14 PM   #34
50 shooter

At least he was asking questions and not being a typical Male! Who could've just walked in, bought the gun and then walked out.

Most guys suffer from their "ego" getting in the way! Instead of using their brains and asking ???'s about stuff they don't know about. Don't want to look stupid in front of another guy, I should know it all already, just like every other guy!
No time for rearranging.
Old March 15, 2019, 10:16 AM   #35
Wag

It's a symptom of testosterone poisoning.

--Wag--
Old March 16, 2019, 02:06 PM   #36
Skans

"not being a typical Male! Who could've just walked in, bought the gun and then walked out."

We're talking about buying a gun, not a house! A 1st gun costs about as much as a push lawn mower or a decent pressure washer. How "wrong" can someone go by not knowing much about guns and telling the counter guy "I'll take that one"? If it's a semi-auto, it'll probably be a 9mm. If it's a revolver, it will probably be a 38/357. People put way too much emphasis on which 1st gun to buy.
Old March 17, 2019, 11:51 AM   #37
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET
If you're going to list some of the rules, do take the time to list the rule in its full form.

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEHIND IT (or BEYOND IT)