The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 6, 2001, 06:20 PM   #1
Sisco

I just gotta tell this story. A co-worker took his girlfriend deer hunting. Fist deer they spotted she missed a 75 yard shot. Second deer they found she got out on the passenger side of his brand spanking new, hadn't even made a payment yet 2001 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4. She gets the deer in her scope, pulls the trigger, BAM! The guy hears the round strike something metal. Wait a second he's thinkng, nothin' metal around here but the truck. 30.06 bullet went through the tonneau cover, struck the inside of the rear quarter panel and made a nice exit hole on the drivers side of the bed. Unfortunately she has a problem with flinching. Fortunately she has good insurance. No word as of yet if she gets to go on another hunting date.
Old January 6, 2001, 09:18 PM   #2
BadMedicine

My dad shot two holes through the bed of his friends pick up while shooting at a coyote!! Luckily it was an old beater-up truck that they bought intentionally for the purpose of taking it where nobody would take their nice truck
Old January 6, 2001, 09:43 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Pickin' On Th' Ladies

My father tells the story of a woman hunting on a ranch near Rock Springs, Texas, many years ago. Rainy weather, not much hunting, and little luck for those who went out. She headed home on Sunday afternoon. Had her .270 with her, in case she saw a deer on the way to the front gate a few miles from camp.

Hit a rock. Car bucked. Gun bumped. Gun went "Boom!". Transmission fell on ground.

In the middle of a bog hole of mud, in a narrow part of the roadway.

Tremendous decrease in "invitability" for next year.

, Art
Old January 7, 2001, 01:52 AM   #4
Glamdring

SK: I am just wondering if this person is someone who wants to be hunting or is being dragged along by her boyfriend? Has anyone bore sighted her scope? Has she zeroed it for the load she is using? If she does have a problem with flinching why not get her a gun that fits and is more comfortable to shoot? Something like a youth Model 7 in 260 or 7-08 with mercury recoil reducer if needed?

Old January 7, 2001, 10:14 AM   #5
Sisco

Glamdring, I wondered the same thing. It was her wish to go hunting, it was even her own gun. Apparently she doesn't shoot often, once or twice a year. Boyfriend had checked zero on the scope, says it was OK. If I were in his position I think I would suggest a smaller caliber and we'd practice a whole lot more.
Old January 7, 2001, 11:51 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Psychology

Glamdring, SK: You're being rational, and the subject is boy/girl. "Rational" and "boy/girl" are inherently contradictory.

If he uses the term "practice", she "knows" he's implying she's not competent. Any phrasing from him implying competition, and he's being "macho". And so it goes.

But look at it this way. The only real damage is a hole in sheet metal. This gives him a slight edge, so long as he does not repair the fender. I suggest that he carefully letter "Hers" next to the hole. Since the damage to her ego is only temporary, and she would normally resume her attitude that she's as good with a rifle as Gunny Hathcock, the little reminder is a Good Thing.

Unless, of course, she finds a new boyfriend...

, Art
Old January 7, 2001, 12:15 PM   #7
CD1

SK,

Now his brand new truck has some character. I bet that deer is still laughing.
Old January 7, 2001, 12:47 PM   #8
Ledbetter

Blood trails? Brake fluid?

Lousy shot placement. Shameful to wound a truck like that and not have the decency to finish it off with a shot to the intake manifold or onboard computer.
Old January 7, 2001, 08:40 PM   #9
Sisco

I got my first up close look at the truck today, I think I can see how it happened. I stood on the passenger side and took a shooting stance. The bullet entered about an inch below the top rail of the bed, if she had the scope zoomed in and saw nothing but deer it would be easy not to see the muzzle was just low enough to hit the truck. (Obvious safety violation!) When the body shop makes repairs he's going to have them cut out the section with the hole, mount it on a plaque and give it to her.
Old January 7, 2001, 11:05 PM   #10
BadMedicine

This will happen just about anytime you shoot at something that's not a long ways from the truck. In your scope the shot looks good, but the barrel is pointed right into the bed. whoops
Old January 8, 2001, 12:39 AM   #11
patrickt66

Here in NH it is illegal to have a loaded RIFLE or SHOTGUN in a vehicle when hunting. This includes a long gun even touching or leaning up against a vehicle. Now I see why. If caught, your weapon AND your vehicle will be impounded. I generally don't like laws that infringe on personal freedoms but after reading some of these stories stories I can see why this law was enacted.
Old January 8, 2001, 08:08 AM   #12
Caeca Invidia Es
Staff Alumnus

::Note to self, get wife practicing with bigger gun (not to easy to get a deer with a .22)::

I don't approve of political jokes, I've seen too many of them get elected.
Old January 8, 2001, 08:19 AM   #13
Tom Matiska

The events described are illegal in Pa. One of the four restritions against road hunting is that it is illegal to alight from a vehicle and shoot until at least 25 yards from the traveled portion of the roadway.

Tom
Old January 8, 2001, 10:44 AM   #14
Glamdring

SK: So it looks like she had a clear line of sight but forgot that the bore was 1.5" or so lower?
Old January 8, 2001, 11:34 AM   #15
BadMedicine

yeah, that's how it happened.

In alaska the law says "illegal to shoot from or across a maintained roadway"....and...."Illegal to shoot from a moving motorized vehicle or while the engine is running."

So basically pull off the side of the road, shut off the engine, and bench out the window.
Old January 8, 2001, 12:37 PM   #16
Speedy

Deer hunting with cousin in Eastern Washington. We see coyote on my (passenger)side. Cousin hops out and rests across hood of '74 Blazer. Same thing, scope hight doesn't show the "rib" in center of hood. 130 grain .270 bullet hits rib, turns downward and DESTROYS carburator. Only had to walk about 2 miles to get to a phone.

Ever seen a coyote "laugh" like a hyena?

Rick

I prefer armed combat to unarmed combat. It's easier on the knuckles.
Old January 8, 2001, 12:37 PM   #17
Sisco

I did the same thing a long time ago with a .22, had a cottontail in the scope with the rifle benched on the door window frame. Hit a chrome strip on top of the fender. Didn't penetrate just put a dent in the trim piece. Felt pretty stupid.
Old January 8, 2001, 02:44 PM   #18
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hey, Patrickt66!

Laws against shooting from a vehicle have to do with "fair chase", since many game animals are accustomed to having vehicles around and aren't particularly alert.

Shooting across a highway is just plain unsafe. "From" a highway may well be poaching somebody's private property.

But I see no justification whatsoever for a law against shooting from a vehicle insofar as the "health and safety" of the vehicle is concerned. If I do something stoopid, shame on my happy butt! Dumbassedness occurs whether there is a law against it, or no law at all...

, Art
Old January 8, 2001, 03:26 PM   #19
BadMedicine

OK G.W. Bush, are you sure "dumbassedness" is a word??? I like the sound of it, but I'm having trouble finding it in my dictionary, or thesaurus!!!
Old January 8, 2001, 04:05 PM   #20
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Everyplace is a bit different. Here in SC road hunting is completely legal as long as you have permission to hunt one side of the road. Many mornings I've passed dog drive hunters on the side of the highway with shotguns.

Don't assume your state/local laws apply everywhere.

Giz
Old January 8, 2001, 07:37 PM   #21
jbgood

Hey, BadMedicine, just because "dumbassedness" isn't in your dictionary doesn't mean it isn't a word! If fact, it's one of the best words that I've heard lately! If I can't find it in my Webster's, I think I'll just pencil it in. Kinda' like the sound of it myself!

-- jbgood
Old January 9, 2001, 12:02 AM   #22
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

jbgood, it works well with "terminal" in front of it, too.

, Art
Old January 9, 2001, 02:54 AM   #23
patrickt66

Art, I'm not talking about the health and safety of the VEHICLE when guns are going off inside them as they are rolling down the highway!
Old January 9, 2001, 10:45 AM   #24
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

patrickt66, there are some folks out there wandering around with guns, that after watching them, I don't want 'em armed whether they're ridin' or walkin'!

The scariest thing in a deer camp is a 24-year old with his first rifle, on his first hunt. At a range, it's the same guy with his first handgun. You look at him and remember that all he knows comes from Hollywood...

But I knew a WW II vet, with another 25 years of handloading and hunting, who put a bullet through the hood of a car, just like the opening story of this thread...Or the LEO-turned-gunsmith, with excellent competitive skills with a pistol and many years of shooting--who shot the radio antenna off his front fender while aiming at Bambi.

So far, I've been lucky. I'll take luck over skill, any day.

Art
Old January 9, 2001, 03:54 PM   #25
patrickt66

I'm with you on that, Art!