The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Do you carry your handgun on you at home?
Yes, all the time. 102 36.69%
Sometimes. 101 36.33%
Nope, not at all. 75 26.98%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old March 25, 2014, 08:05 PM   #26
2ndsojourn

no, but I have two staged within quick & easy reach.
Old March 25, 2014, 08:35 PM   #27
JLL

Unless someone has a battering ram (or maybe even if they do) it's going to take a lot longer to break through one of my exterior doors or windows than the 5 seconds I need to get a gun. That's just my thinking. We've all walked different walks and have different viewpoints.
Old March 25, 2014, 08:41 PM   #28
Garycw

No, but never far from reach
Old March 25, 2014, 09:15 PM   #29
rodfac

Pretty much all the time here on the farm, unless I'm involved in chores that preclude a holstered handgun. Those are rare times however. I shoot every day, my range is less than 5 steps from the back deck, and we're isolated enough that neighbors don't complain regarding the noise.

Son #2's wife had a home invasion/burglary while he was out on a trip; and may have surprised the creeps while they were still in the house. Since then, all of us carry pretty much full time. For them, the local streets are less of a worry than their isolated home on a country road. It's a sad reversal of the "home is your castle" and you feel safe once there. Better locks, stouter doors, a first rate alarm system help, but a Smith on the hip and the ability to use it when necessary has helped them contend with feelings of violation. DIL was 8-1/2 months prenant with their 2nd child; and the toddler was just 12 months old when it all went down.

And for those of you who think a big dog is plenty of protection or a deterent, how 'bout this: the low-life's who did it, kicked in the front door, and the dog, who normally barks at anyone who drives up or knocks, did not stop them. They got four of their guns, but had no time for jewelry or the rest of the stuff in his gun safe...

Best Regards and keep your powder dry....Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 25, 2014, 09:28 PM   #30
tomrkba

Yes, because an attack can occur at any time and it conditions my back for daily carry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU0EJS3cJIc
Old March 25, 2014, 09:44 PM   #31
Smith66

I do home carry sometimes. It's probably one of those things I should do all the time, but I get lazy or comfortable I guess.
Old March 25, 2014, 10:04 PM   #32
pearlonionx3

I carry 24/7 when awake and sleep with a piece within easy reach.
You can't "schedule" trouble!!
Old March 25, 2014, 10:18 PM   #33
bitttorrrent

No cause we have small kids and wife would freak.
Old March 25, 2014, 10:33 PM   #34
GrailKnight

I carry at home by choice.

Criminals have been known to travel so no matter how good an area one thinks they live in they can become the target of the traveling criminal.
Old March 25, 2014, 10:38 PM   #35
keithdog

Yes, I carry at home and everywhere I am allowed to carry. I have only one hand gun. And it's going to be on my person. At night it is in the night stand drawer next to my pillow. My wife isn't too fond of me carrying when I am at home, but like I told her, you never know when your going to need it. Who will be knocking at your door or strolling around to the back of your house. We live in a fairly safe town, but there are those certain individuals as in every town. Plus, there are always out of towners with bad intentions. And we have communities around ours that are full of bad folks. BUT, the other main reason I carry at home is this. If it is on my person, I don't have to worry about who will find the gun when it's not with me.
Old March 25, 2014, 10:43 PM   #36
boltomatic

If you like doing it, go ahead. Personally, I don't think its really "necessary" because in your home during the day is the least likely place you're going to be assaulted.

But again, I'm not one of those people who think carrying a gun is dangerous so if you want to carry it inside your home then by all means go ahead, but don't feel obligated to.
Old March 25, 2014, 10:55 PM   #37
Fugit1ve Wizard

I always have a pistol within reach and a scattergun loaded with buckshot tucked away
Old March 26, 2014, 07:22 AM   #38
tomrkba

The video I posted shows what can happen. You don't need to drag around the 1911 or the N-Frame; pocket carry a Ruger LCP, Kahr PM9 or a J-Frame. It is available and out of the way.

Quote:
No cause we have small kids and wife would freak.
Now that is some logical thinking! When provided with evidence, the reaction is denial. Show her both videos and maybe her brain will turn on. We cannot have your kids seeing responsible carry.

http://youtu.be/oAKG-kbKeIo

This is why you both should carry (posted again):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKfcc2rM_xI

Here is another (skip to 0:31):

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/t/video/vi...pects-17632625

Last edited by tomrkba; March 26, 2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old March 26, 2014, 08:01 AM   #39
8MM Mauser

Sometimes, usually it's more like laying on a desk I'm working at. Occasionally I have the shotgun propped in the corner of the room I am in. If the wife's around whatever is out stays hidden so she stays comfortable.

Most of the time my stuff is locked up though since I have a 2 year old runnig around the house; guns are either on my person, in my hands or in the safe locked up.
Old March 26, 2014, 08:14 AM   #40
skoro

Do you home carry?

Nope

If I need to get a gun in hand, it wouldn't take long at all. I carry when I leave the house.
Old March 26, 2014, 08:16 AM   #41
kraigwy

There is no safe place to live where you are exempt for home invasion.

It takes about 3 seconds to kick in your door, it takes a bit more then that to make it from your couch to you night stand gun by your bed.

It takes more then 3 seconds to get your gun from your safe or to remove your trigger lock.

When cooking dinner it takes more then 3 seconds to make it to your bedroom to retrieve you hand gun.

It takes my < 0.5 seconds to draw my J frame from my pocket and fire.

----------------------------------------------------------------
CHILD SAFE: Stashed guns WILL be found by children. Child safe guns are locked in a safe

I never found a child who could get my J frame from my pocket without me knowing about it.

A self defense gun isn't a self defense gun if its not available.

Those who say "if you have to carry at home need to move to a safer community". I say to them ''READ THE PAPERS". There is no safe place in this world. Home invasions are becoming more and more common EVERYWHERE.

If its uncomfortable to carry you gun on your person 24/7, you have the wrong gun, method of carry or both.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 26, 2014, 08:36 AM   #42
40-82

No, I don't always kept a gun on me at home. Most of the sixguns that would be of use to me on the farm are quite heavy, and I often find myself 6-8 feet from the nearest when I'm in the house. I only pick it up if I plan to move to another room for awhile, but after reading this thread before I walked from the room with the computer to the kitchen to pour ac cup of tea I picked up a six-inch 686-3.
Old March 26, 2014, 09:07 AM   #43
biohazard313

i carry in my galco miami classic. or my aliengear IWB. always carry.
Old March 26, 2014, 09:10 AM   #44
Targa

No
Old March 26, 2014, 09:35 AM   #45
Cheapshooter

Not always, but more often than not. Weather IWB carrying one of my larger CCW handguns, or not, I most often put my Elsie Pea in my pants pocket when I get dressed. It's just become a regular thing like wallet and keys.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 26, 2014, 10:36 AM   #46
igolfat8

Do you ever read the American Rifleman or the USCCA magazine? Most of the shootings [published] these days are home invasions. That should tell you something.

A co-worker had his house broken into while he was indisposed in the bathroom. He had a gun, in the house but it wasn't on him nor could he get to it. There was a physical confrontation and the thief ran out. That happened in a "gated community" so don't think you are safe anywhere these days.
Old March 26, 2014, 10:47 AM   #47
JLL

If you've got a door that someone can kick in in 3 seconds.....you've got the wrong door and lock setup.
Old March 26, 2014, 10:55 AM   #48
Skadoosh

Nope. I have a very curious and smart 5-year old.
Old March 26, 2014, 10:56 AM   #49
JLL

Install an outswing door...there's plates to fortify the jamb. Yeah, any door can be kicked in eventually, but if you set out to really fortify your exterior doors, it's gonna take one hell of a man to make entry in 3 seconds..much less 10..or 20.
Old March 26, 2014, 11:33 AM   #50
IMightBeWrong

When people think about home defense, they usually think about the bump in the night type scenario. A while back a drugged out homeless woman came knocking frantically because our neighbor had lured her into his home offering a place to stay, taken the drugs she had with her, possibly did other things I don't want to know about, then hit her a few times and threw her out threatening to kill her. I had my firearm on me concealed. I came outside with her because she sure as heck wasn't coming inside and called 911 and got the sherifs over. They talked to everyone from there.

One of the officers said that he was glad I was armed and didn't let her inside, claiming that nearly all of the home invasions he'd seen on the job started with people pretending to sell things, playing like new neighbors asking for things like eggs, or people asking for help in a crisis just like what I dealt with. People will try to get you to crack your door just enough to start forcing their way in, and sometimes with the power of numbers if there are 2 or 3 "Latter Day Saints" at the door for example.

In that scenario, there is no time to get to a firearm, and it is far more common than other forms of home invasion to my understanding.

I personally consider a handgun to be the most important firearm you can have for home defense simply because it's the only one you can have on you all the time and answer the door with. Shotguns are great, but unless you want to answer every knock on the door with it then it's really going to be delegated to a Bump in the Night gun as far as home defense applications go.