The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 12, 2011, 05:10 PM   #1
Rawg the Huug

WANTED: Paterson revolver

I'm looking for a pair (preferably) of Paterson revolvers.

I'd actually prefer the Pietta's, but Uberti or Colt 2nd or 3rd Gen would do just as well.

Can't find them anywhere...except the super expensive "America Remembers" version on gunbroker or gunsamerica sites. I want a pair of shooters--NOT museum pieces.

I'd appreciate any help; point me in a direction & I'll be grateful. Thanks. r

ETA: I just rec'd an e-mail from "Vivianna" at Pietta that the Paterson will be available in February from Dixie Gun Works. Guess I ain't the only one griping about 'em!

Last edited by Rawg the Huug; November 16, 2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: I've an update on availability from Pietta
Old November 12, 2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Rawg

Welcome to the crew.
Old November 12, 2011, 08:31 PM   #3
pohill

I just sold one. The buyer wasn't even going to shoot it - he just wanted to engrave it and display it. They are kinda scarce (and pricey).
Old November 13, 2011, 09:27 AM   #4
Rawg the Huug

I can understand that folks are snatching them up when they can, what I don't understand is why Pietta & Uberti (were there other makers, aside from Colt?) would stop making them if there is such a demand for them. I've been told that they are awkward & not well-made. Makes no difference to me; they were good enough for the Texas Rangers & I'm simply intrigued by them.

I've roamed gunshows, but the few tables that have any guns of the kind remind me of most western films: everybody has the Peacemaker & is seemingly oblivious to the fact that there was ever anything else available. One fellow in CAS garb actually asked me to explain what a Paterson is...& then handed me a SASS pamphlet, suggesting I join. I have not joined, though I've been to a couple of local matches.

To be honest, I'd engrave mine, too, & get 'em Tiffany gripped, as well, if I ever have the pennies for it; & being a nerd for the cartridge conversions I'm hoping to convert mine...(if I ever acquire them), but regardless of all that, my guns are shooters & I'll never understand the logic behind buying anything simply for display only.

I appreciate the welcome & the input. Are there gunshows or sites other than gunbroker or gunsamerica that might cater more to 19th Century arms?
Old November 13, 2011, 12:32 PM   #5
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawg the Huug
I'm looking for a pair (preferably) of Paterson revolvers.

I'd actually prefer the Pietta's, but Uberti or Colt 2nd or 3rd Gen would do just as well.
Piettas & Ubertis show up all the time on GB and GA. Just be patient & check frequently.

There were not any 2nd Gen Patersons made & the Sig Series guns are almost as rare. When they do show up, they are $2000+ apiece for the plain ones and $3000+ apiece for the engraved ones. The America Remembers gold plated ones can be had cheaper - again, when they show up.

Good luck in your hunt.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old November 13, 2011, 01:32 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

I don't like the looks of them....

....But since I don't have one, I still want one....

or two.
Old November 14, 2011, 09:00 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

Fingers covered it very well as usual. Your best bet is watch GB for a Pietta version. If you get the Uberti version be sure it comes with the correct nipple wrench. These cost 60 bucks or more as alone part.

Here's a pair of Pietta Paterson's.

Unknown counterfeit.

Old November 14, 2011, 10:21 PM   #8
arcticap

I believe that Armi San Marco made a Paterson reproduction early on, possibly back in the 1960's.
Old November 16, 2011, 11:35 AM   #9
Rawg the Huug

Madcrate, do the Piettas in the case have 7 1/2" barrels? They appear shorter than the 9inchers I've seen...could just be my eyes.

...erm, I don't s'pose those are for sale, are they? Or are ye teasin' me!?
Old November 16, 2011, 11:50 AM   #10
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticap
I believe that Armi San Marco made a Paterson reproduction early on, possibly back in the 1960's.
I don't believe so. IINM, Pietta, Uberti, Signature Series Colt and Pedersoli were the only makers of Patersons.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; November 17, 2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: corrected list to add Sig Series
Old November 17, 2011, 07:43 AM   #11
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Madcrate, do the Piettas in the case have 7 1/2" barrels? They appear shorter than the 9inchers I've seen...could just be my eyes.

...erm, I don't s'pose those are for sale, are they? Or are ye teasin' me!?
The Pietta "Texas Paterson" is a 9" barrel.

The 7.5" Paterson is marked

"Replica Arms Inc, Marietta, Ohio"
"MOFRA di Mainardi A. - Brescia 1971"

The date code is 1964, something does not add up. Possibly the date code is miss stamped.

It is made by Pietta.

I'm always looking for a Pedersoli or 3rd gen Colt Paterson, not often seen. Never seen at prices I well pay...maybe.
Old November 17, 2011, 08:42 AM   #12
fineredmist

I had an Uberti Paterson a while back that I never intended to shoot but I gave it to the urge and it was total frustration. The cylinder would bind after 3 rounds and nothing seemed to solve the problem. I tried several different lubes and even tried it dry and the result was the same, 3 rounds and the cylinder would bind. I called Uberti about the problem and was told to send the gun in for inspection. They called me and told me there was a "design problem" with the gun that could not be corrected and asked what would I like as a replacement. I tried to get an answer as to the "design problem" being with the original design or Uberti's design but didn't get anywhere. If you do a search you should find others who had similiar problems with the Paterson.
Old November 17, 2011, 10:37 AM   #13
pohill

I used the vegetable spray PAM on the cylinder pin of my Paterson, and it worked perfectly. No other lube worked as well.
Old November 18, 2011, 04:51 AM   #14
radom

Well you have to keep in mind that they were really not that good of a gun as Colt found out when his company went bust. Colt never could perfect them so the idea of a cut rate made in Italy that breaks is probably why they stopped making them.
Old November 18, 2011, 06:52 AM   #15
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I had an Uberti Paterson a while back that I never intended to shoot but I gave it to the urge and it was total frustration. The cylinder would bind after 3 rounds and nothing seemed to solve the problem.
Your Paterson had to tight of barrel gap. It only takes a few rounds fired before you have a build up of powder residue around the breech and cylinder face. You have a large contact area between the cylinder and barrel and as residue builds, drag increases until the cylinder well not rotate just by cocking the hammer. This same problem carried over to the Walker, it was addressed with the Dragoon with a increase of the taper on the face of the barrel.
Old November 18, 2011, 10:54 AM   #16
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers McGee
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticap
I don't believe so. IINM, Pietta, Uberti, Signature Series Colt and Pedersoli were the only makers of Patersons.
You're probably right. An gun show vendor was selling an early 1960's Paterson that he claimed was made by ASM, but I didn't actually see the identifying marks.
Old February 27, 2012, 04:02 PM   #17
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers McGee
IINM, Pietta, Uberti, Signature Series Colt and Pedersoli were the only makers of Patersons.
What company is this IINM and can you tell me anything about them, such as what country they were in and when did they make Patersons?

I have an older used Texas Paterson with a low serial number (12XX) and without taking it apart, it apparently doesn't have any obvious Italian proofmarks or maker's marks.
I wonder if it could have been made by IINM?

Last edited by arcticap; February 27, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old February 27, 2012, 04:31 PM   #18
zullo74

"IINM" means If I'm Not Mistaken. It is not a company.
Old February 27, 2012, 04:54 PM   #19
arcticap

TFTI! (Thanks for the info.)
Old February 27, 2012, 05:46 PM   #20
Beagle333

Good to know. . .

Quote:
"IINM" means If I'm Not Mistaken
(I have always wondered that too)
Old February 27, 2012, 07:38 PM   #21
Fingers McGee

Steve, If I'm Not Mistaken, IINM was a company in Mexico that made knockoff Colt's in the 40's and 50's. The companies founder was one S. Potro; but church records indicate that his real given name was Miguel. The company didn't last long due to it's location near what is now Acapulco. When the tourist trade boomed, Miguel couldn't find any workers and went bankrupt.

The companies real name was Imitaciones de Iternational Nunca Moldeado

Of course, i could be full of it too..

Last edited by Fingers McGee; February 27, 2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old February 27, 2012, 09:08 PM   #22
rodent.22

Won't be long....maybe

Cabela's is taking orders for the Pietta Paterson, 9'' barrel, no loading lever. Nice looking picture- $529.95!!!! 4 to 5 week backlog.....maybe. It's been about that long since they went on the site and still no reviews, so I don't think any have been delivered. Dixie gun works has them listed for $535.00, also a insufficient inventory notice in the cart.

Last edited by rodent.22; December 2, 2014 at 12:51 PM.