The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 25, 2011, 08:00 AM   #1
AirborneMosinFan

Has anyone used a modern sight conversion for chilean Mauser 1895?

I have a chilean Mauser with the original 7mmx57 it shoots well and I love the round size. I want to use it to hunt this season. Has anyone used a sight conversion or scope mount for these? Another thing, if I do find a scope mount for it is there specific scope I should get for it?
Old May 25, 2011, 12:49 PM   #2
sc928porsche

You can take your 95 mauser to your local smith and he can install some weaver bases for a nominal fee. Then you just pick out the scope you want and purchace some rings to fit the scope. This process has been done since before WWII.
Old May 25, 2011, 03:04 PM   #3
AirborneMosinFan

Thanks
Old August 25, 2011, 04:20 PM   #4
Opinated

Not wishing to hijack this thread, but my problem is similar. I have an 1895 Chilean Mauser converted to 7.62 NATO. I am aware of the strength cautions.
My front sight is on a ring around the barrel. The ring is a bit loose and wiggles when touched. The top of the sight is just sharp, like a dull knife edge, and it looks to have been filed on the sides.
Please tell me more about the front sight.
Old August 27, 2011, 12:22 AM   #5
tahoe2

I believe a company called S&K or SK makes a scout mount for the rear sight fixture so you don't bend the bolt or change the safety. this requires an extended eye relief scope. check out surplusrifle.com
Old August 27, 2011, 11:41 AM   #6
DnPRK

Quote:
Not wishing to hijack this thread, but my problem is similar. I have an 1895 Chilean Mauser converted to 7.62 NATO. I am aware of the strength cautions.
My front sight is on a ring around the barrel. The ring is a bit loose and wiggles when touched. The top of the sight is just sharp, like a dull knife edge, and it looks to have been filed on the sides.
Please tell me more about the front sight.
1895 Mauser front sight posts are shaped like an inverted V (like this ^). The sight is drift adjustable for windage in a dovetail slot. If you remove the sight from the dovetail, you will find a tiny set screw underneath that holds the sight band in place on the barrel while it is silver soldered in place at the factory. It sounds like the sliver solder was defective, causing your front sight band to be loose.

A gunsmith should be able to remove the sight band, clean it up and re-solder it.

Tags
mauser , model 1895 , scope