The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 14, 2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Chris_B

Grr am I mad at the flyer!

This is easily the best I have ever shot a cap and ball revolver.

Target was at 33', Pietta 1862 Colt NY Metropolitan Police in .36

I tickled the trigger a little poorly on the first shot, which is the 6 ring flyer. I then settled down and drilled it. I am one happy cap and ball owner today. I only fired 18 rounds total today though...

Old November 14, 2010, 03:35 PM   #2
zippy13

It's those flyers that keep us coming back to the range.
Old November 14, 2010, 10:41 PM   #3
junkman_01

Is that 6 shots from a 5 shot revolver?
Old November 15, 2010, 11:34 AM   #4
kwhi43

I count at least 7 shots on paper. The "Flyer" looks like a larger caliber hole.
Old November 15, 2010, 09:14 PM   #5
Chris_B

err...no

The holes in the 'white' on those targets always look different from holes in the black, due to the printing.

The revolver is a six shot, .36
I used three targets yesterday, firing that revolver. I shot six times at each target. Like I posted already:

Quote:
I only fired 18 rounds total today though...
here's the holes:

1) touching 8 ring, 11 o'clock
2) 8 ring, 9 o'clock
3) edge of 8 and 9 ring, 9 o'clock
4) 10 ring
5) 8 ring, 7 o'clock
6) between the 5 and 6 ring, 5 o'clock

Look closely at the hole at 8 ring, 7 o'clock. there's a rip going up to the hole in the ten ring. See how the ring itself is distorted? The paper tore away there, making the hole at 8 ring, 7 o'clock seem to be an oval. the paper tears funny on those targets, look at the hole touching 8 ring, 11 o'clock. Sometimes it 'blows out'. You never used one of these targets before??

I'm honestly taken aback here. Seven shots? Different calibers? OK, but I hope you don't drive wearing those glasses
Old November 15, 2010, 11:52 PM   #6
kwhi43

I'm one of the scorekeepers at our local club. Just funnin you. I see 6 now.
Got to go find my white cane.
Old November 16, 2010, 09:04 AM   #7
junkman_01

I thought this gun was a Pocket model (5 shot). As I conclude now, it is a full size Navy revolver (6 shot). Sorry for my assumption.
Old November 16, 2010, 05:54 PM   #8
Chris_B

Quote:
I'm one of the scorekeepers at our local club. Just funnin you. I see 6 now.
Got to go find my white cane.
I figured That's why I was funnin' back
Old November 16, 2010, 06:03 PM   #9
Chris_B

Quote:
I thought this gun was a Pocket model (5 shot). As I conclude now, it is a full size Navy revolver (6 shot). Sorry for my assumption.
Well, yes and no, your first implusle is better than you think

It's a Pietta that looks like a recreation of a real revolver but as far as I can tell, it isn't. To me it seems like a cross between an 1860 Army, a pocket Police, and a New navy

Pietta called them "Colt 1862 NY Metropolitan Police" models, but as far as I know, that never really existed, and the closeset Colt model that really was made was similar, but not quite the same. if it was a Colt that was really made it really would be a 5 shot in that case, and smaller, too, so I totally see where you thought it was 5 shots and a pocket model

I took the barrel and barrel from my Pop's 1851 Navy (another Pietta) and they fit. I put the frames side by side and they look identical in dimension. I wouldn't fire the revolver in that configuration, but the parts fit. I think Pietta wanted another model in the stable and dreamed this one up, using a full size frame from their 1851 model

It seems like this revolver is a believable version of a revolver that was never actually made by Colt. Maybe Colt missed the boat on it but I can't say they really made one like this. White elephant of sorts, but a good looking one, and it shots well. I think the cap and ball revolvers are special