The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 30, 2012, 11:49 AM   #1
MLeake

Gun Safe

We moved, recently, and I decided it was time to upgrade my safe. Gave the old Sentry to a friend, and, after some research, ordered a Sturdy Safe. Cost 4-5 times as much, but seems to be worth it.

Included in the total cost were:

Fireproofing upgrade, with layers of ceramic.

Stainless steel plate surrounding the lock.

Ball bearing layer surrounding the lock (for snapping drill bits).

Garage delivery.

I opted for the 72 inch safe. With upgrades, about 1000 lbs.

Arrived today; just set up the shelves.
Old March 30, 2012, 12:25 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Good that you got yourself a big one. As a rule, collections grow and don't shrink. You can also hide its growth from spouses who think the money is better spent on cruises or romantic dining.

Nice of you to give your buddy the Sentry. I would have used it as an ammo locker.
Old April 1, 2012, 11:23 PM   #3
OhioRedHawksFan

I've been wanting to upgrade my current lock box to Cabela's stand alone gun safe, however, it is unlikely to happen due to budget constraint. I can definitely see the value of getting a larger safe tho - more cargo space = more purchase
It can also double as document & cash safe I imagine
Old April 2, 2012, 09:00 AM   #4
kraigwy

Quote:
Good that you got yourself a big one. As a rule, collections grow and don't shrink.
Little known fact about safes:

A 48 gun Liberty Fatboy Jr will not hold 48 long guns.

The next rifle you want to use will be in the back of the safe (I think that's a law).

After you get your pistols piled up on the top shelf (and I mean piled) you'll barley have room for your motor cycle keys.

I'm almost 65, I figure the time to buy more guns is limited so I can probably get by if I buy another Liberty Fatboy. Then maybe I'm have room to store my bamboo fly rods with the guns.

Also, its a good ideal to keep your combination to your safe in you safe deposit box so if something such as an auto accident taking both you and wife your kids can get to your guns.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 5, 2012, 11:00 AM   #5
idnative1948

kraigwy, makes a very good point-

"Also, its a good ideal to keep your combination to your safe in you safe deposit box so if something such as an auto accident taking both you and wife your kids can get to your guns."

Both our financial advisor and insurance agent suggested this to the wife and I years ago. The kids know what is in there and with any luck won't have to go searching for stuff when it comes time.
Old April 5, 2012, 12:36 PM   #6
FrosSsT

kraigwy has a very good point. just because a safe is rated to hold X amount of guns, doesnt mean it will be able to fit that many inside. I stored about 13 guns in my 36 gun safe and its almost full - the other half of it is being taken up by shelves for accessories and paperwork. Go big - it saves money in the long run
Old January 18, 2014, 04:10 PM   #7
Bear1949

I just put my STURDY SAFE into its new home. I couldn't be happier. I got the 6 ft high safe, 4 gauge walls, insulated with 2300F fire insulation (not that crappy drywall), interior liner. It weighs about 1100 pounds. VERY nicely made! The quality of welding is FAR superior to any other gun safe I looked at--especially that Chinese garbage that so many "name brand" companies use. STURDY SAFES are made in the USA from all-American materials. I didn't buy it just because it's American-made, though. Its quality is obviously superior to others and competitive or lower prices than the "name brands". I was surprised at how fast it arrived, especially in the unusually severe winter weather we have been having this year. I was also impressed with how well the safe was secured on the pallet and how well it was padded. No scratches, dings, nothing--it arrived in as good a condition as it left the factory. The instructions for setting a new combination, etc. were very clear. I especially appreciated the short videos on STURDY SAFE's web site, which show you how to do small things (like how easy it is to get an 1100 pound safe off the pallet, etc.). Here's one strong vote for STURDY SAFE!