The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 13, 2015, 08:32 AM   #1
NYhunter74

Winchester M70 question

Hi all,
I recently bought a Winchester M70 Safari express in 375 H&H off gunbroker. I love it so far,(only put 40 rounds thru it) but I'm running into a problem with it ejecting spent casings. It mainly happens on the last shell in the magazine. I tried really pulling the bolt back with authority but the spent shell just sits in front of the bolt and won't fly out. Any idea's about what the problem is? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by NYhunter74; June 13, 2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old June 13, 2015, 11:24 AM   #2
dahermit

Quote:
I'm running into a problem with it ejecting bullets.
[Sic], "cartridges", not "bullets"...the bullet is the thing that flys through the air.

Quote:
It mainly happens on the last shell in the magazine. I tried really pulling the bolt back with authority but the spent shell just sits in front of the bolt and won't fly out. Any idea's about what the problem is?
Are you talking about removing live rounds from the gun, or a fired casing...you state, "...the last shell in the magazine.", then you talk about, "...the spent shell...". Which is it?
Old June 13, 2015, 12:00 PM   #3
NYhunter74

Spent shell casings
Old June 13, 2015, 01:11 PM   #4
dahermit

Quote:
Spent shell casings
So, what I think you are saying is that when you try to fire a fired round, the casing extracts (comes out of the chamber), but it gets dropped onto the top of the magazine follower instead of ejecting. Right? If that is what is happening, it almost certainly is something involving the extractor. I suspect you have a push-feed system inasmuch as with a claw-type it is less likely. Therefore, look at your extractor (the little hook-like projection on the end of your bolt. With a push-type extractor, the little spring may break, or the extractor itself may become stuck with debris from firing. In that instance it can loose its grip on the extraction groove before the case is extracted far enough out of the chamber for the ejector (a little spring loaded plunger in the face of the bolt), to push the fired case out of the action and it drops on the magazine follower as you describe. In short, check the tension of your extractor by pushing on it with a small screw driver...you should be able to feel resistance from its spring. If no resistance, then look for crud stopping it from holding your fired cases. After that, report back here with what you have found.
Old June 13, 2015, 01:17 PM   #5
NYhunter74

Thanks! Exactly what I meant to say. Will do when I get a chance.
Old June 13, 2015, 01:39 PM   #6
NYhunter74

I have the claw type extractor. It has the pre-64 action. What do you think?
Old June 13, 2015, 02:33 PM   #7
mehavey

The extractor is letting go of the casing rim too early. As a (first) step pull
the bolt and thoroughly clean under the claw (and under where the extractor
seats against the bolt itself) so that extractor can seat fully into the case groove.

Last edited by mehavey; June 13, 2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old June 13, 2015, 02:55 PM   #8
jmr40

Is this one of the "Classic" series made in New Haven prior to Winchester closing in 2006, or a current production rifle made since FN bought the company. Some of the last of the New Haven rifles had some minor issues. This is something that can be corrected if so. It may just need a cleaning, but one of the advantages of CRF is that they tend to still work when filthy.

I'm suspecting this needs some work, possibly a new extractor. Some of the last Winchesters made in New Haven used extractors purchased from outside vendors that were much better than the factory versions. If cleaning doesn't work I'd be looking for a gunsmith who knows how to work on them, not all do.
Old June 13, 2015, 03:29 PM   #9
NYhunter74

Thanks. Will try cleaning the bolt and extractor as soon as I get a chance. It was made in new haven so it could have been one of the later made models. Hopefully all works out. Thanks again!
Old June 13, 2015, 05:15 PM   #10
4EVERM-14

Also check the ejector. It's a small tab of metal that is exposed when the bolt is fully retracted.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old June 14, 2015, 09:51 AM   #11
NYhunter74

I cleaned the bolt, extractor, and checked the ejector. Everything seemed fine. I put a spent casing in and cycled it thru a few times and when I go slow the casing bounces out of the claw and doesn't eject. It seems to be getting caught up on the magazine follower. Plus the bolt doesn't seem as good of quality as my other model 70 (post new haven era). The claw and strap that holds it to the bolt are not as tight a fit as my other model 70.
Old June 15, 2015, 09:03 AM   #12
dahermit

Quote:
I cleaned the bolt, extractor, and checked the ejector. Everything seemed fine. I put a spent casing in and cycled it thru a few times and when I go slow the casing bounces out of the claw and doesn't eject. It seems to be getting caught up on the magazine follower. Plus the bolt doesn't seem as good of quality as my other model 70 (post new haven era). The claw and strap that holds it to the bolt are not as tight a fit as my other model 70.
It sounds like your extractor does not have enough tension. Either it came that way from the factory, or someone may have dropped a round into the chamber and tried to close the bolt on it instead of chambering it from the magazine...sometimes that springs the extractor. What needs be done, is to tighten the extractor's hold on the casing. From your posts, it does not seem that you should attempt it yourself, so I suggest that you take it to a gunsmith and have him take the extractor from the bolt and put the corrective bend in it...a simple procedure.