The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2010, 05:14 PM   #1
Draciron

Stuck cases RCBS

I've had several stuck cases in the last six months and it's getting to be a major issue. The case sticks all the way in. The down stroke with the press is no problem. If it's a case I've previously resized it's rarely any effort at all on the down stroke. On the upstroke with Winchester and Federal brass and occasionally other brass I've never resized/fired the upstroke is difficult. With the stuck cases it rips the rim right off leaving the case completely in the die.

Killed 2 dies so far because stuck cases eventually stripped the threads holding the decapping pin assembly and the pin would just fall off into the case on the upstroke. So it's not the die, unless RCBS is just not a good brand for 30.06 resizing dies.

I usually don't tumble before resizing. All but one of the stuck cases were reasonably shiny brass even before tumbling. I never get scratched cases No mud or anything like that on them. or anything like that. So doesn't seem like dirty cases are the problem. Previous efforts to tumble before resizing showed no decrease in frequency of stuck cases.
Old January 30, 2010, 05:25 PM   #2
qcpunk

wow, strange, what kind of case lube are you using?........ you are using case lube right? lol
Old January 30, 2010, 07:13 PM   #3
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I would recommend more lube or change lube . I'm old school and still using a pad and lube every case if bottleneck case .
Old January 30, 2010, 11:12 PM   #4
impactco

I have found that this product works well for 30-06, .308 and .50 DTC:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=519525

I have never stuck a case with this lube. I have stuck cases with other brands of lube.
Old January 30, 2010, 11:32 PM   #5
blackhawk45

Sound to me like LAKALUBE,ya gotsta lube your brass.
Old January 30, 2010, 11:47 PM   #6
jkohler

i have the same trouble

i have found lee carbite dies to be great i have used many types of lube same issue
Old January 31, 2010, 01:11 PM   #7
wxl

Did not think Lee makes many carbide dies for RIFLE calibers.

Also have ruined some dies in 308 mainly and usually a lube issue
Old January 31, 2010, 01:13 PM   #8
mbreitba

I too had the same problem with RCBS 30-06 dies, I would stick about 3 cases out of 20-30. That lasted about one night before I chucked the can of spray lubricant and switched to a lube paste. I won't ever use the spray lube again.

Try a good paste based lube and see if it works any better.
Old January 31, 2010, 02:27 PM   #9
impactco

Carbide rifle dies are available but you still have to use lube with them. I regularly use Hornady OneShot spray lube with smaller cases like .223 or 7.62x39. It just isn't sufficient for .308 and larger in my experience. Like I said, I have never stuck a case with Imperial Wax.
Old January 31, 2010, 02:28 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Having the decapping pin assembly brake is a different issue.

What head stamp was the brass when the pin broke off?

The only time I have ever broken or bent pins (including the whole assembly), I had off-center flash holes.

In one instance, I had the same problem you appear to be having. I thought the case was stuck, due to a lack of lube... but, it was actually a decapping pin that had been bent during the previous sizing. When it went into the next (bad) case, the whole decapping assembly bent, and wedged the case in the die.

As I said above - Every pin I have ever bent or broken was caused by bad brass. With the wedged-in case, the flash hole was undersize, and so far off-center, it actually touched the side of the primer pocket.

Check your brass.
Old January 31, 2010, 02:53 PM   #11
howlnmad

Sounds like a kack of lube to me. Gotta lube them bottle-necks but over lube or lube the shoulder, you will most likely end up with dents on the shoulder from excess pressure created by the lube. Don't forget to lightly lube the throat as well
Old January 31, 2010, 04:58 PM   #12
snuffy

Stuck cases in FL dies is ALWAYS caused by a lack of lube. Since the OP hasn't been back,(in 24 hours), to update us on his procedures and tell us what type of lube he's using, we're all just guessing. Sounds like another one-shot lube failure.

One shot is some awful crap. 1, it's expensive, 2, it has to be constantly shaken while you're spraying it, 3, it makes a mess out of your loading trays, AND anything on your bench, and 4 it causes stuck cases.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 31, 2010, 05:13 PM   #13
hodaka

My sentiments exactly regarding One-shot!

BTW - Just for fun I tried using Kiwi Mink Oil in place of the Imperial Sizing Die Wax and guess what? I couldn't tell the difference. Now I need to see how well the Imperial works on my boots.
Old January 31, 2010, 05:22 PM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

I wouldn't have the cases in a loading tray when I sprayed them. Lay them on a cookie sheet. Spray. Roll. Spray again. Mind you, I did that with Midway spray lube, which worked for me. On LC .30-06, no less. Can't speak to One Shot.

In practice I mainly use Imperial and an index finger.

Draciron,

Sounds like you're sizing range foundlings. Some chambers can be loose enough that the brass never makes it back to size near enough for a tight chamber. Fact of life.

Do the lube thing. Get a Lee sizing die. They're inexpensive and the decapping pin stem is held by a collet you can loosen then tap the stem with a mallet to remove a stuck case. If that doesn't work (I've had those) drilling out and threading the primer pocket for the threaded end of a slide hammer is best. Soak the thing overnight in penetrating oil. Freeze it to contract the brass, then pop it out with the slide hammer.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 31, 2010, 06:56 PM   #15
Howard31

Stuck cases.

[/SIZE] Use more lube. RCBS makes a stuck case removal tool,I am sure any place that sells dies have them. You can make your own,drill out the primer pocket,tap it for 1/4-20 and get some spacers and crank it out.
I don't know the price of the dies but it is cheaper than ruined dies. Again ,use more lube.
Old January 31, 2010, 08:49 PM   #16
langenc

yea but he is pulling the head off the case. They drill tap will work for the rim pulled off but not the head. Adequate good lube is the key.
Old February 2, 2010, 12:17 AM   #17
jkohler

how do i start a new thread ?
Old February 2, 2010, 02:24 PM   #18
snuffy

Looks like Draciron has dropped off the face of the earth! So what did you find out?

We STILL don't know the caliber, make of case, or type of lube you're using.

Quote:
langenc yea but he is pulling the head off the case. They drill tap will work for the rim pulled off but not the head. Adequate good lube is the key.
No, he's not.

Quote:
With the stuck cases it rips the rim right off leaving the case completely in the die.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?