The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2010, 11:09 AM   #1
troy_mclure

Favorite headstamp?

Who makes your favorite brass?

Who makes your least favorite?

Any brand you just toss, or trade?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 30, 2010, 01:32 PM   #2
lev83

I load on Winchester and Federal brass primarily. I have also loaded Norma, Starline, Lapua and Hornady with favorable results. Everything else is trade fodder or scrap in my opinion.
Old January 30, 2010, 04:47 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Depends on the purpose. Mostly Lake City and IMI for the gas guns these days. The exception is the AR, which mostly gets fed Winchester. Lapua is the cat's meow for precision shooting in any caliber, though the Norma I have is also very good.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 30, 2010, 04:48 PM   #4
DiscoRacing

Starline if buying new... otherwise I prefer Win myself.
Old January 30, 2010, 04:50 PM   #5
Draciron

Remington is easily my favorite rifle brass. Handles pressure better, easier to work,and inexpensive.

Hornady is my 2nd favorite. Norma and Frontier are two others I've had good experience with.

Least favorite is Winchester. Half my stuck cases have been Winchesters. I get pressure signs about the same with Military brass as I do with Winchester.

Federal is my 2nd least favorite. The other half of my stuck cases have been Federal cases. Hard to work, shows pressure way before any other brands except the Winchester or Serbian stuff. Actually even Winchester is better than that NNY Serbian stuff. I can only do really light loads with it. I won't even bother picking that stuff up off the range.

With handguns I'm not real picky. Haven't noticed any major differences in the headstamps.
Old January 30, 2010, 07:08 PM   #6
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Rem. or Win. if buying .
Old January 30, 2010, 07:36 PM   #7
Doodlebugger45

Hornady for my magnum pistol cases like 454 and 480. Starline has been excellent also, but it's hard to find sometimes. I really don't like Federal because it seems to be just different than all the other brands somehow.
Old January 30, 2010, 10:10 PM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Who makes your favorite brass?
Rifle: Lapua and Norma
Pistol: Starline and Independence (headstamped as *I*)

Quote:
Who makes your least favorite?
Amerc by a Nebraska mile. Distant second is S&B

Quote:
Any brand you just toss, or trade?
Toss Amerc.
Trade PMC and S&B.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 31, 2010, 01:07 AM   #9
madd0c

Lapua and (gasp) CBC - Companhia Brasileira de Cartuchos

madd0c
Old January 31, 2010, 01:33 AM   #10
Hammonje

LC or FC NATO is my favorite in .223 Rem and .308 Win. Also, PPU .223 Rem brass is consistent in weight and heavy. I like Greek HXP for 30.06 brass. Starline for .45 Colt.
Old January 31, 2010, 10:23 AM   #11
Sevens

Yeah, I like this topic and I'm long winded

This is always a fun topic... but the more different brass I come across, the more I seem to alter my opinion, just a little bit each time I answer one of these.

I'm primarily a handgun owner and shooter. I do some rifle, but I don't do extreme accuracy and I don't do enough rifle shooting to test the longevity of brass, so I won't even comment on rifle brass.

For pistol brass, there's only one rule that will not ever change: A-Merc brass is the worst brass on earth. I recycle any and every piece of it I ever come across. It's not just that I don't want to use it, it's that I want to do my damnedest to make sure nobody else uses it, either. Because I do some brass swapping, it's a fear that I would somehow send a piece of this crap to someone by mistake. That would be a huge embarrassment. Enough said. If you want to hear more about the legend of A-Merc, run a search.

In pistol brass, I'm a big fan of most PMC that I've used. I also like the current extruded brass that ATK is using with Speer/Blazer/CCI/Federal headstamp on it. You can easily spot this stuff because the case head almost looks like it dips inward due to the build process of the brass.

I like Starline brass and will happily use it in any caliber, but I do not think it's above reproach like it's reputation seems to be in most forums. I think because they specifically make brass, they have a reputation that it's the best there is. My experience is that it's decent, quality brass, but I've found some flawed pieces in my travels. I won't ever hesitate to buy, use or even recommend it-- I'm just saying that people refer to Starline much like hardcore rifle guys refer to Lapua or Norma, and I don't think it's nearly to that level.

I think most of the S&B brass I've used seems decent, but they do have extremely tight primer pockets which make them often difficult at the bench. I've also seen some of their .38 Special brass that was either completely flawed or fired in a revolver that had some serious chamber issues, so I'm always careful with their .38 Special brass.

Speaking of .38 Special, I tend to use nickel exclusively. Since I don't think nickel lasts as long, but .38 Special seems to last forever, I use it just to see how long before I can kill it. Nickel is slicker and easier handling, IMO.

Of all the big name brands that get the most play in reloading, my least favorite without a doubt is R-P or Remington. It works and I do use it, but only because I have so much of it. My complaint is that it's the thinnest brass I use in the case mouth area. It's the most likely of any brass I ever use to give me suspect case mouth tension. And you can feel it best when you have a flare die set up perfectly for most of your brass and then you run a piece of R-P through it. It barely offers any resistance.

R-P brass doesn't seem to fail or split much for me, it's just thin in the case mouth. With some jacketed slugs, I simply don't get the same grip on the bullet I do with other brass. It's definitely not my sizing die or my amount of mouth flare. R-P is thin, I won't buy it new or in loaded ammo, and the nickel plated R-P is even worse than the brass R-P. I'd choose almost any other head stamp over R-P, but I still accept it in brass swaps.

You know what brass seems like it might be a budget brand, but always works REALLY well for me? Magtech-- headstamp of CBC. This stuff is consistent and durable and I really like it. I don't mind anything from Fiocchi, either, though they (like S&B) often have tight primer pockets. (GFL is also Fiocchi, and works just as well)

I use a lot of Winchester, but only because it's so plentiful. It's not bad, but it's nothing special. I prefer my other favorites long before Winchester brass. Again, it's about the thickness in the case mouth. Winchester is closer to R-P than some of the others.

I haven't used enough Hornady to comment on whether or not it's as good as the reputation that Hornady has in all of their products. I would have to assume that it is.
Old January 31, 2010, 10:57 AM   #12
bignz

I've been reloading a lot of 45acp lately.
Does anyone find Federal and Blazer brass to be more difficult to work? To me it seems to require the most pressure during resizing and even case flaring. Pulling it out of the resizer sometimes jolts my whole bench. Maybe they have thicker mouths. I also find PMC is slightly oversized on the extractor lip. It never wants to fall flush into my case gauge. With that said, I'm not picky and reload everything I pick up that doesn't have splits or bulges.
Old January 31, 2010, 11:44 AM   #13
Jim243

Personal choice Remington, exception is 223 for AR then it's Winchester.

Bignz - be careful some of the cases are PLATED BRASS but are really steel with a thin coating of brass, I would check the Blazers for that.

Jim
Old January 31, 2010, 02:07 PM   #14
Uncle Buck

I was talking with another member here on TFL about his ammo collection. I had some .38 Special brass to send him. He sent me a list of what he has (head stamps) and I was amazed there are so many different head-stamps.
Old January 31, 2010, 06:57 PM   #15
ForneyRider

free brass.

Nosler has been great. Norma is stiff and expensive but very consistent and otherwise excellent.

Winchester has held up to numerous resizings and firings in both pistol and rifle.

Also good luck with Remington, but it wears out more quickly than Winchester.

Hornady required the most prep of all the brands I messed with.

I toss Amerc, aluminum, steel.
Old January 31, 2010, 11:06 PM   #16
A_Gamehog

1st choice is Lapua $55-65 per 100 Pcs.
2nd choice is Nosler $45-55 per 100 Pcs.
3rd choice is Lake City 07-08-09 $18-20 per 100 Pcs.

I have tried Hornady, Frontier, Winchester, Remington, FC, PMC, Norma.

Most accurate load ever shot in my 223 was with new but 3 way trimmed Remington Brass.

Their really is no brass I had trouble with or would not use for plinking.

For 20$ plus 4.95 in shipping you can get 100 new lake city brass from Graff's,
If you add 1,000 or 5,000 cases more the shipping stays the same.
What's not to like?
Old January 31, 2010, 11:55 PM   #17
Malamute

Favorite? I like the old inside primed Govt ammo in 50-70, 45-70 and 45 Colt. Very cool looking. The Govt made FA and dated loads in 45-70 are cool. Also like the WRA marked brass, and the UMC, and REM-UMC brass. Once when shooting a 45 auto, I shot a 100 rds, and went to pick up the brass, I lost 4 rds, but found an old black 45 Colt shell. I showed it to a guy that knew about such things, he said they quit using that headstamp in about 1918. Can't recall what headstamp it was. I have it around somewhere. I've always wondered what someone shot with that round, it was out in the hills, far from much of anything. I've found various shells here and there, a 40-82, 38-56, 405 Win, many old black 30-30's, a 303 Savage, and a number of people have found the inside primed 50-70 and 45-70 cases on the ground around here.

.....Or did you mean favorite brass to load?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old February 1, 2010, 09:35 AM   #18
Sidewinder72

I mostly use remington brass for rifle. I love Nosler brass for rifle but cost to much. Pistol Winchester is my favorite, but I use rem., fed.. Throw away A-merc and CBC, (**** brass)