The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 1, 2010, 12:08 AM   #1
SenexProxy

Urban Armor?

This said gear, so I figured it was the best place to ask.

If you had to protect yourself for a situation (domestic riot, private investigation, etc.) what would be the optimal gear to shield yourself?
I've been thinking about this long and hard, and here are my thoughts:
Kevlar Vest - Vulnerable to knife assault.
Ceramic Plate - STILL vulnerable to rifles.
Kevlar+Ceramic - Limited mobility and increased weight.
Luck - Not enough on earth.

Given the following scenario, how would you prepare yourself?
You live in a two story apartment building. The lower story faces one direction, the upper the opposite. Below, three visible people begin shooting firearms and yelling. There is a possibility of more people in the building or in the surrounding parking lot. There is no way to contact the police, and firing from your windows will directly endanger your family. How would you handle the situation?
Old February 1, 2010, 12:46 AM   #2
Doc Intrepid

Drink heavily.

(Just joking.)

(you can't call 911 on your cell?)

Where the heck do you live, anyway? Iraq?

And by the way...

Welcome to the board
Old February 1, 2010, 12:57 AM   #3
Chaz88

Umm... I thought things had calmed down in Beirut.

It dose not sound like a common situation. If it is, get out of that place! If you can't, the people are outside, move as far away as you can and get on the floor. If they come through your front door start shooting.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old February 1, 2010, 01:33 AM   #4
Tucker 1371

If they're down in the street let them stay in the street. Call the police as well. Get a gun you trust that has plenty of oomph and guard your door; I'd prefer a long arm like a shotgun loaded with #1 buck. No reason to insert yourself into an already unstable situation.

*As for armor, it's not really going to be worth the buy unless you wear it 24/7. If something goes bump in the night are you going to waste time throwing on a bulky vest? If you must buy it go light, thugs prefer concealment above all else so pistols are what you need to be worried about; the ceramic plates and crap just aren't going to be worth it (if any body armor is worth it). I would invest in an NRA home/self defense class before body armor.

Quote:
Luck - Not enough on earth.
Quote:
"Never trade luck for skill"- Anonymous military wisdom/humor
Do you have reason to believe that you might be singled out for some kind of violence? Did you tick off some bad folks? Or are you just curious about body armor?
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe

Last edited by Tucker 1371; February 1, 2010 at 01:44 AM. Reason: * = edit
Old February 1, 2010, 01:40 AM   #5
Composer_1777

You need really good shoes, rifle plated vest and composite riot shield with complementary helmet. Taser, FN 5-7, Knife, Ar-15, tear gas, Mini-14 incase AR jams, Fnar for long shots down the street before they reach you, 2 molotov cocktails, An antique civil war canon armed to shoot, Incase there is a hurricane or snowstorm or u fall in dirt an AK-47 . You are now fully prepared for urban combat!!!!!
Old February 1, 2010, 01:48 AM   #6
Chaz88

Quote:
Composer_1777
LoL.. I might have to move that to the favorite quotes thread. I normally try not to judge, because I make my share of pointless posts. But dose this thread seam a bit trollish?

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old February 1, 2010, 01:55 AM   #7
rjrivero

I don't need armor.

I need cover.

Assuming it's MY apartment, and MY family, MY obligation is to protect my family, not to make the three (or more) shouters/shooters behave.

Gather your family in the designated safe room. Keep low. Keep covered with what ever heavy cover is available. Assume my defensive postion and wait for things to clear.
Old February 1, 2010, 08:16 AM   #8
SenexProxy

Wow, thanks for all of the responses! That was a purely hypothetical situation. Haha, now where I live by any means. I'm interested in body armor, and like you guys (or girls) said, with what's available today, there's just no way to adequately get prepared before something like that happens.