The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 8, 2014, 09:14 PM   #1
bamaranger

Star Dot turkey choke

A few years back, I bought bamaboy a Moss 835 for a turkey gun. A buddy had it and the price was right. We put on a set of fiber optic sights, experimented a bit with the chokes that came with it, and took it hunting. It never seemed to pattern quite as tight as I would like though, coming in a bit behind my old trusty Rem 870. Being backbored and intended all along as a turkey gun

Some on line searching seemed to indicate that the Holy Grail of turkey chokes for the 835's was the old StarDot extended turkey full choke as sold through retailers say 15-20 years ago. Those crazy things are bringing near $100 on ebay...they sold for less than $20 back in the day.

Well....further checking has yielded that "Colonial Arms" made the old StarDots, and is now advertising that they are making the 835 extended turkey full again to the old Star Dot dimensions. Price is about $45 bucks, about half what the originals are selling for used. So I ordered one. Whether they are EXACTLY the same is debated, but they told me they were.

And....the darn thing tightened the pattern on the boys's 835 noticeably, landing about 25 more #5 pellets per shot on a sheet of typing paper than before, outshooting my 870 now (all with the same load).

So, if you've heard about the Star Dot/835, but didn't want to spring for an original get ahold of the Colonial Arms folks in Bay Minette and get you one.