The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 12, 2009, 12:06 PM   #1
brian923

03ffl. how to get started..

hey guys, i am wanting to get a curio and relics card, and was wanting to know where i can go to get info on what all i have to do to getthe paperwork filled out, sent to the atf, and i know theres something to do with the sheriff, and something with copying and signing copies of your lisence and sending them out, but i dont remmember all the things that have to be done. thanks for the help, hopful 03 ffl holder, brian
Old September 12, 2009, 12:19 PM   #2
Chris_B

First, you need to want a C&R gun way too much, and then you run around getting the license!

this may help you:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/articles...ewal/index.asp
Old September 12, 2009, 08:15 PM   #3
essohbe

The only thing I was unsure of was who the "Chief law Enforcment Officer" was for my area so I just sent a letter to the county Sheriff notifying him I had completed the ATF form. Never heard anything back so I guess it was correct.
Old September 12, 2009, 11:01 PM   #4
brian923

i REALLY want to get my 03ffl. i have the papers, and even had them filled out about three years ago, but then we had our first son, and well, it got pushed back on the to do list. i just want to have everyting go off without a hitch. thanks guys, brian.
Old September 13, 2009, 05:27 AM   #5
BobbyT

Just don't try to expedite the process with a form printed offline. There's a guy on CalGuns who did a terrific job turning it into a PDF, complete with editable boxes so you can type the thing out and not worry about messing up or whether they'll read your handwriting all crammed in there.

Unfortunately the ATF will reject the copy, even if you print it double sided identically to theirs. So I got a nice double delay on mine, but at least they were nice enough to cash my check right away (months before I got my C&R)!

http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm
It's form F 7CR (5310.16). Regardless of what you might read elsewhere, you do not need any other forms (no citizenship or passport stuff; on the form you confirm that you're legal and all that).

I requested several of them instead of just the one, and when I finally got the form I sent it off and requested another couple. I'd encourage you guys to do the same so if your local friends decide to do it you can save them the first month or two wait.
Old September 13, 2009, 11:51 PM   #6
cougar gt-e

I recently sent to the gubmint for the forms. Any hints on how long it will take the wheels to grind and the forms to get here? How about turn around time on the 03FFL after I send the forms in?

Thanks
jb
Old September 14, 2009, 12:18 AM   #7
CGSteve8718

All turn around times will vary. There is no consistency whatsoever. I got the actual form by calling my local ATF office and the lady threw one in the mail, which I received the next day.

Getting my actual license took me less than a month believe it or not from the time I sent in the completed form. I'm not sure if it's because they found out I'm a Fed too and gave me a break or what, because that is an unheard of process time. I read from everyone else that the usual time is at least a few months.

Also, my experience with the nonimmigrant alien certification form was that they required one. I would fill one out regardless. I filled out another recently to go with a Form 1.
Old September 14, 2009, 08:18 PM   #8
BobbyT

How long ago was that CGSteve8718? The latest iteration of the 7CR form has the citizenship stuff on it, and it's the only form I submitted.
Old September 14, 2009, 10:45 PM   #9
CGSteve8718

Yes, I filled out a form with citizenship questions on it as well, but they still required the nonimmgrant certification.

This was advice I read over at surplusrifleforum. Perhaps they really didn't need it, but if someone tells me they had problems I'm not going to risk hold ups due to paperwork with the ATF. If it wasn't necessary, I guess whoever doing the review could have thrown it away.

Now, I just turned in a Form 1 and again after reading what others that have recently gotten theirs approved said, a nonimmigrant cert is necessary. It is a very simple one page form where you basically just put your name and sign it if you are a citizen.

Trust me, I don't like any of it one bit, but this thread isn't about that.
Old September 15, 2009, 06:55 PM   #10
BobbyT

Interesting. Guess maybe it depends on who processes your info.

Mine was as recent as this summer, and after getting the Official Approved Original Ultra Long Wait Form That Can't Be An Identical From A PDF, they processed my 7CR and that was that.
Old September 15, 2009, 09:13 PM   #11
cougar gt-e

I got my application form in the mail today. Wow! Took about a week to 10 days to get from the time I filled out the online request.

The wheels of government grind on -- quickly in this case. Will have to see how long until the actual parting of the sea occurs and the 03 is granted -- but I hope it is also quick!

jb
Old September 25, 2009, 11:12 PM   #12
cougar gt-e

Quick update - the gubmint charged my CC the $30 for the application on 9/22.

Progress!
Old September 26, 2009, 11:23 AM   #13
emcon5

Just got mine, mailed form to license in hand was right at 3 weeks.
Old September 26, 2009, 07:23 PM   #14
flyingcubby

C&R

Would not work

Last edited by flyingcubby; September 26, 2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Wouldn't let me post pdf
Old September 27, 2009, 08:17 PM   #15
BobbyT

What wouldn't work?

I hope you weren't trying to post that 7CR app PDF, because those will get your check cashed and an ATF letter telling you to send them an original of the form (which you'll then still have to wait for, send in, and wait some more on top of the waiting you already did).
Old September 27, 2009, 10:43 PM   #16
cougar gt-e

Quote:
Just got mine, mailed form to license in hand was right at 3 weeks.

Now THAT'S what I like to hear! Yeah!
Only hope mine is on the same fast track that your was on!

There is a TT33 waiting out there for me to love...
Old September 27, 2009, 11:16 PM   #17
docpadds

Mine came in the other day, was just over 2 weeks from sending it to receiving it. Then again my 01 FFL for my business has taken only 45 days end to end.
Old September 28, 2009, 07:50 AM   #18
jsmaye

I would have thought an 01 covers everything you get with an 03.
Old September 28, 2009, 10:25 AM   #19
docpadds

The 01 is in my business name and at a different location. The 03 is just for my own personal collecting, i keep them financially separate.
Old September 28, 2009, 01:46 PM   #20
cougar gt-e

Quote:
The 01 is in my business name and at a different location. The 03 is just for my own personal collecting, i keep them financially separate.

Don't you still have to keep a log of the C&R guns bought in the 01 log in addition to the 03 log?

(Not trying to be a SA, just wanting to learn.)
Old September 28, 2009, 08:04 PM   #21
docpadds

Correct, however i usually only buy 03 stuff and have it shipped to my home, it never sees the 01 which is at my business (warehouse). 01 is rarely involved when i pickup something the 03 can handle.

Now everything else i own is done through the 01, but even then i have to run a Brady check on myself each time i buy something.