The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 3, 2017, 10:18 PM   #1
TXAZ

Best lubricant to smooth out a trigger

I have a Barrett M107 .50 cal that is a blast to shoot, but the trigger is not real smooth. It's still in warranty so I don't want to go down the 'file this / file that' trigger road yet.
There's a product called KG-5, which claims to be a PTFE Trigger Lubricant, and a few others that are PTFE or Moly based with similar testimonials.

Anyone have any experience with any trigger lubricants that you actually noticed a reduction in the pull or make it a bit smoother?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 3, 2017, 10:53 PM   #2
RKG

I would not want a bunch of any lubricant on the sear engagement surfaces of any trigger.

If by "not smooth" you mean that the trigger has discernible grit over the course pre-letoff travel, this implies that the engagement surfaces are not flat. Lube won't solve that problem. The surfaces should be dressed properly.
Old January 3, 2017, 11:05 PM   #3
mete

Yes, properly smoothed and flat with proper angles- that's the only way. Then one drop of oil or light grease may be added.
Old January 4, 2017, 10:12 AM   #4
g.willikers

Yeah, lubes attract dirt and don't stick around very long.
Not a permanent solution at all but might be useful if you're only going to fire a few rounds.
But if those considerations aren't important, the best ones I've found are lithium grease, auto trans fluid and anti-seize applied very sparingly on clean parts.
Old January 4, 2017, 01:44 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Lubricant of any kind does and will not 'smooth out' or reduce the pull of any trigger.
However, the manual says the trigger assembly should be "lightly" coated with a CLP oil. Odd that the manual has no other references to the trigger at all. No mention of it's weight and anything else about it. There is a fair bit of discussion on the Barrett forum though. One guy says he clipped 2 coils from the FP spring. How that has anything to do with the trigger pull I dunno. Wouldn't do that myself.
Biggerhammer, being the place for such things, has a how-to for trigger job on an M82A1.
http://www.m82a1.us/firearms/82a1mod.pdf
There are a bunch of aftermarket triggers too. One of 'em, currently out of stock , runs $650.
"...the engagement surfaces are not flat..." Assorted metal finishes will do that too. Parkerizing, Lube-rite(black phosphating), et al are not smooth metal to metal finishes.
No files are needed to do a trigger job. Polish the mating parts only and change the springs. The latter requires know what they are now though. And Barrett ain't telling.
Old January 4, 2017, 01:56 PM   #6
Pahoo

Hone and Moly

On application to contact points/surfaces of trigger parts, for years I used GunSlick which is a graphite based grease. I also use a Moly based grease by Dow. On other applications, I use a Moly based oil by Gunk. .....

I know you stated that you don't want to go down the "File" road and I can't remember the last time I did. However, I do hone parts often and then lightly lube. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 5, 2017, 06:05 AM   #7
hooligan1

I wash my triggers in White gas, and lubricate only with lighter fluid..period....
Old January 5, 2017, 02:08 PM   #8
TXAZ

Holligan1 noted:
Quote:
I wash my triggers in White gas, and lubricate only with lighter fluid..period....
I'm guessing you don't smoke...

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 5, 2017, 09:40 PM   #9
tangolima

What's wrong with lubing the sear?

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old January 5, 2017, 11:04 PM   #10
mete

Moving metal to metal parts should have some lubrication .It should always be "lightly lubed" with a good quality lub
Old January 6, 2017, 06:04 AM   #11
hooligan1

TXAZ, I'm a smoker, but not when washing triggers dude, that's outside the house work,,,,,according to the mrs.
Old January 7, 2017, 07:54 AM   #12
1goodshot

I heard that packing it with gleem toothpaste and working the trigger will smooth it up
Old January 7, 2017, 12:20 PM   #13
weaselfire

Do a trigger job, lubricant isn't smoothing out a trigger. Or call the manufacturer to see what they say.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old January 7, 2017, 12:53 PM   #14
mikld

I agree with weaselfire and most of the other posts, but calling Barrett is a good idea. Who knows, they may be aware of a faux pas in the manufacturing of some trigger groups and offer a fix/repair.

I don't know if many toothpastes still have any abrasive in them, but long ago I used toothpaste as a very fine honing/polishing compound.
Old January 7, 2017, 01:19 PM   #15
tangolima

All gun manufacturers today, except the high-end boutique custom shops, have triggers with a lot of positive sear engagement. It is to lower their liability exposure. The result is creepy triggers. The user will have to pay to have trigger job done if he wants a good trigger pull. Doing so the user also "owns" the liability. Unfortunately it is how many things work nowadays; the product needs to be dumber than the dumbest user. Evolution in the wrong direction.

Lube can help to a small extend. But a lousy trigger is still lousy, even it improves from the lousiest to pretty lousy. With a good trigger job, good can become better.

Any sort of lapping compound, tooth paste included, is a bad idea. It erodes the positivity of an engagement.

However I still don't understand why a sear engagement should be bone dry, at least according to some. I always use a sparing amount of good grease.

-TL